• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2004 Mercury 60 HP 4-Stroke Issue

Having issues with my motor. When at 3/4 to full throttle it will alarm and power down. Talked to mech, thought oil may be low (good level) Changed 2 times since alarm went off. Motor also seems to have a good stream out the back. Will power down, alarm will instantly reset and off I go. But only to 3/4 throttle, any more alarm will go off. Any sugestions. Local mech that I can go to would also be great. I am just north of BRD. The ones I talked to are a week out or plus. I had it serviced 4 years ago but have since changed fluids myself.

Having a similar issue with mine...my alarm is a steady beep & oil tank is topped off. I have talked to a couple mechanics also & sounds like there is a magnetic float device that may have came detached & sank to the bottom of oil tank. Mine is still pumping water good also & not hot...but it was suggested not to run it anymore until it gets looked at because it may not be pumping oil right & could ruin the cylinders.

To make a long story short I took mine to a mechanic here in Brainerd & he is supposed to be looking at it tonight. I can let you know the outcome of mine & get you his info if you like.

Will be watching this thread, as I just got a new 60 Bigfoot.

One thing I wonder is when the impeller was changed last? If it is '04, and on the original impeller, I would change that anyway. On my other motors even with what looked like a steady stream, my alarm would go off. Put in new impeller and problem fixed.

I don't have book with me, but shouldn't the overheat and oil alarm sound different? Good luck getting it fixed, and appreciate you guys posting what fixes it for you. thnx

Installed new impeller kit, better stream but alarmed again. Guess will need to take in. I have read a few threads on the net some indicate a bad sensor but I do not have the tool to hook up for diognostics as they are way to expensive for me and from what I have read most are proprietary to Mercury only servise dealers.

Go see Larry's Marine just across fromthe half moon north of Merrifield. He does a great job is fair and gets your boat back to you ASAP! I have had mine into him a couple of times and he knows what he is doing

So far I have lucked out on my fix...it ended up being that magnetic float detached & sank to bottom of tank. Can't re-glue it without making it to heavy & making it sink again. The guy ordered a new oil tank ($45) plus 1-2 hours labor...should be fixed by middle of week!

I took it to Dan at Northwood Turf & Power...he does outboard motor work on the side.

Tank where is the tank? Hidden by the fuel tank? I have a 02 Aluma 165 magnum with a 04 60 4 stroke Merc (tiller) I do not see a tank exposed any where? Unless it is under the center floor by fuel tank. From all my experiance a 4 stroke has a self contained oil system, cars, small engines and so forth. I see no lines coming up to motor other than power and fuel. Did run into a problem when I went to get impeller kit, kit was wrong based on motor serial#, had to bring in plate to match. This bugger has me stumped, I will go back and work on the 58 Impala, thats easy! I knew there was a shop by the Y store, will stop by tomorrow and see how busy he is. Also see new owners at Brainerd small engines by the Chap, seemed good talked to them a bit Friday.

Do you mix your gas or do you put your oil in the top of motor separately? Mine I do separate & when you take your hood off the motor... the oil reservoir (tank) is the plastic piece on the front. There are 2 wires attached to the bottom of tank...that is the alarm wires on mine anyways.

Good Luck!

Did you check your fuel/water filter? pretty sure the filter has a sensor wire attached to it to sense any water in the fuel. At least the optis do. Not sure about the 4 strokes, although I would think they would be the same?

Every shop has been busy, got a Call from Larry's this morning so I will bring it in tomorrow in the AM. Local shops have been a week to 2 out. I have checked everything on this motor with no luck. May add temp gauge and oil pressure gauge like I do to my cars when I rebuild them after I get it back.

Guess it is a bad oil sensor. Waiting for part to verify. Boats been at Larry's since Monday. Hope its done tomorrow. Said Waiting for parts. Will update when back on water and running good.

Have boat back in hand, ECU noted bad oil sensor and high rev alarm. Heading to Whitefish tomorrow hope all goes well.

Well not good, 1st motor died and would not restart, seemed like out of fuel, ran to A-Pine to fill up and double check fuel gauge. Had plenty of fuel. Next ran to shop in Jenkins (forget name) We ran through lines and he touched the fuel connection at the motor and it just fell off, seems it was not fully locked back in! Motor ran worse than before, could not plain out before alarm would come on. Not a happy camper after spending hard earned cash to have something fixed and it is now worse. Will be back in the AM tomorrow to see what is up.

Maybe replace the anti-syphon valve replaced on the gas tank. I have heard they can cause fuel issues that lead to slow take-off and bogging down. What type of boat do run?

Got it back, replaced thermostat this time. They took it out to test and everything was fine for them. $330 fix this time. $530 total. Went out tonight and everything seems OK. One would think with the Smartcraft Engine Guardian system the issue could be found easy. I was told the alarm code found was an over rev.

Motor has 500 hours on it, wonder how that rates for a 2004?