• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What size Crappies should you keep?

I usually fish for northerns if I am going to keep fish for eating but once a year I try to get a limit of crappies to have a fish fry for my parents who don't get out and fish any more.

Can anyone weigh in on what they think are the right size crappies to keep? I am mostly wondering what is best for the fishery as a whole.

Yesterday I fished a lake that has an abundance of 8 inch fish. I caught 30 fish and was lucky to come up with nine 10 inch fish that I kept. A buddy says that he won't keep anything under 12". If I lived by that rule my folk would never get their fish fry. Maybe I need to find a better lake.

The DNR wants you to keep the pike under 24" and release those bigger on most lakes and say that is better for the fishery. Has anyone seen a recommendation for crappie?

I don't have any science to back this up but personally I think 10 inchers are about perfect. Anything under 9 is hard to get much meat from, and anything over 11 I figure should be spawning a couple more years to hopefully have a strong pool of offspring.

The best sizes are 10 to 11 inchers. This helps the smaller one's to move up to the 10-11 class. Plus, it is enough meat for a meal. When we keep crappies for a meal, 8 is about all we need.

Sniffer

I agree with Sniffer with the 10-11 inch size. I think that 12 inch plus crappies don't taste as good as the smaller ones.

I agree with what the other guys said about the 10-11in fish being best for keeping.

Can anyone weigh in on what they think are the right size crappies to keep? I am mostly wondering what is best for the fishery as a whole.

Yesterday I fished a lake that has an abundance of 8 inch fish. I caught 30 fish and was lucky to come up with nine 10 inch fish that I kept.

I go with the principles of Selective Harvest which suggests keeping the most abundant sized fish of a species, and letting the bigger ones back. 8 inches is pretty small, IMO to get any meat. But, in that case I'd try to keep the 9 inchers and hopefully put the 10's back.

CrappieSniffers words fit alot of lakes and would be a good general rule. But, it wouldn't fit in your example. I've also witnessed fisheries that were loaded with 12+" crappies, and there weren't that many 10's (at least we weren't catching them). I had no problem keeping a few 12 inchers, and "upping" the throwback range to 13"s.

Not a common "problem" because we've been conditioned to keep "only 12"s and above", like your friend. By letting the largest, less abundant fish back, we give the lake potential to produce larger / hopefully trophy fish....take all of the biggest......eventually you wind up with a lake like you explained.

In an ideal world I would keep 9 - 11 inch crappies. However if push comes to shove I would have no problem keeping some smaller ones to round out a fish fry. In fact if you fish in the Metro area a person pretty much has to if they want a meal.

Let the smile on your parents face as they enjoy the fish erase and 'guilt' you have about keeping 'too small' of fish.

Any crappie over 11 inches just don't taste as good! Seems to taste muddy to me, and overall taste the 10-11" crappies were "More Gooder'! grin

• 2 weeks later...

My personal keeping slot is 9-12". All else tossed back.

This is what I do as well, however I very rarely keep any, and almost never a full limit.

• 2 weeks later...

As goose89 stated, selective harvest is the way to go. Many of the lakes I fish have abundant panfish populations but not many large fish. During the spawn, I've seen friends and strangers demolish populations of large breeders. I agree that there isn't much meat on an eight inch crappie, but they are typically far easier to catch and more abundant. Plus, cleaning small fish makes a person appreciate how well they can clean a fish.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.