• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish Sonar Advice

Majestic

Question

I'm on the market for a new sonar unit, the one on my boat doesn't work anymore it was just one of the cheapy $89 Birds. I'm looking to upgrade but can't justify spending the money on side imaging right now, I do want to in the future but probably not for a couple years when I can afford it and spend more time out on the boat.

Right now I'm just looking for something that can tell me if there are fish in the area. I'd like for it to have temp/speed on it and if it's lake chip compatible even better. I have both Navionics and Lakemaster for my gps when out ice fishing so it would be nice to use in the boat.

I'm looking to spend a few hundred, anything after that might as well jump into the over a thousand range lol.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

18 answers to this question

Lowrance Elite 4

Color graph/GPS combo - $300 when I bought one a month or so ago. It was just brought out this year as a price point competitor. It has quite a few features and is compatible with both of your chips including the micros.

I love the detail of the graph and it has speed and temp. I can get all the same information as I get from my 522 but on a smaller screen. I put it on our pontoon and haven't regretted it yet. I went to the store with the intention of getting an HDS5 but walked out with a decent unit and several hundred extra dollars in my pocket.

I have recently seen the humminbird 788ci on sale for $460ish range on and off. That might be more than you want to spend at the moment, but a great fish finder and price.

Yep, the humminbird 788 is on sale at gander right now for about $430. That a really good unit for that price.

Thanks guys, I'm going to take a look at the ones mentioned so far and do some comparing. Most I'd want to spend is $500 so that one is in my range, but I'd also go Wanderers route where I can get a nice unit and still save a couple hundred.

Anyone else?

What is Wanderers route?

788ci gets my vote. Nice unit. Only difference between that and the current model is the Ethernet port, which you don't need.

I bought the 798ci SI, which is basically the same unit with side imaging added. Great units.

I don't see the 788ci at Gander anywhere, not at the big C either.

Lowrance Elite 4 and 5 look pretty decent.

Found the Humminbird 597 ci HD Combo Sonar/GPS for $499 and the Humminbird 587ci HD Combo Sonar/GPS for $479.

The 788ci is out of stock almost everywhere, and my guess is that it's no longer being made. If you can find one around, it's about the best buy you can find right now, I would say. The 5 inch screen will be much nicer than the 4 incher you get on the elite 4. Dick's had them priced at $450 recently as well, but they're no longer availaboe on the website. Reeds had them priced down to 470 or something, but no longer available there either. If you do a google search you'll find a few vendors that have them available still at around $480, but most I've never heard of.

HB 597 ci HD is a very nice unit...i added that to my arsenal last fall, can also be used on ice & provides all the info u r requesting & more but would check bout it being compatible with your chips

OK, so does anyone have any recommendations on a unit that I can actually find lol?

Yeah I been looking at the 597's, after shopping around quite a bit I might just go for the 597ci HD with DI. I'd be going a couple hundred over what I planned on spending but it might be worth it.

I found the 597ci HD for $469, and the 597ci HD with DI for $549. So for an extra $80 I could get DI.

The Elite 5 looks pretty nice too, that one has a bigger screen then the Elite 4.

Boooooooooo

Just read that the lakemaster chips I've been using won't work in the Birds. That means if I go with a Bird I'll need to get new chips.

sell ur old ones for a few bucks to someone just staring out, get new updated chip for your new bird....a win/win for u

Just bought this one a week ago Humminbird 587ci HD DI Fishfinder/GPS Combo $438 search for a store called epal ...had never heard of them but the BBB gives them an A+. Shipping was fast and I love the unit. I too previously had an $85 dollar cheapo that basically told me the depth. This thing is waaay better and 50-60 bucks cheaper than anywhere else.

Nice, too bad I'd have to spend a few hundred dollars getting the chips for the Bird that I already own. Might as well spend $800 on a different brand that can use the chips I already own by that point.

If that is the issue, then yes, buy something that will accept your chips. I know they really ad up. You could always sell them too, and maybe find some used chips for the new unit.

So a friend of mine tells me Lowrance doesn't accept the Lakemaster chips like we use in our H20C's either, is that true?

Buying a new fish finder these days is a giant headache. Right when you find one nope doesn't take chips, has temp but not speed, oh guess what this one don't come with a transducer.

Hey RJ, I checked that unit out that is pretty nice. Almost the same as the 597ci HD DI Fishfinder/GPS Combo with just a 1/2 inch smaller screen and Watts.