• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minneapolis lakes will be chained off outside inspection hours

This is the first time I've wished I used Facebook.

I heard they were going to limit Facebook usage to login hours similar to the park district's. If you login at work you may not beable to log out so be careful.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallardnwalleye

• goblueM

• Grum

• TheStudent

THERE ARE NO LAKE SHORE OWNERS ON THESE LAKES!!!

Because the city owns the ramps on all three lakes, not the state.

If people want access without the city having a say, lobby the DNR to purchase land and build ramps.

(but I do think it's dumb that they have split shifts.)

In essesence MPLS Lakes do have people that act like some of the self centered lake shore homeowners or associations that have been brought up on here.(Note:Not all lakeshore owners or assoc. are selfish) The park board has an overeaching interest on MPLS Lakes that limits full access by the public. It is a typical overreaction by a group of urban regulators that need something to fear (AIS's) and then regulate as that is what they do for a living. As someone once said show a "farmer a field and he will farm it, show a logger a forest and he will log it, show us fisherman a lake and we will fish it."

SHOW A CITY REGULATOR A POTENTIAL SMALL PROBLEM AND THEY WILL REGULATE IT.

The issue is not about the specific groups (lakeshore owners etc) but about limiting public access by people or groups with specific self interests.

An example on MPLS lakes in the past and present is that the sailboaters have always run the MPLS lakes. I remember Lake Harriet was a pretty good walleye lake that I fished in the early to late 90's. You had to get a permit by mail or go downtown to get it and use an electric motor all while the sailboaters set out their racing bouys from a motor boat. Do the sailboaters care about the new regulations? .....nope they have their sailboats moored and can paddle out at anytime. Do the canoe rack people care?..nope. If they tightend the screws on the sailboaters and them I am sure the Park Board would hear about it as they are a local and vocal interest group. The guy from St.Paul that fishes the lake from his fishing boat a couple of times should have equal access but really doesn't.

The city may own the land on the access but the state manages the public water and I am sure provides and has provided funding for fish stocking, bulding the access, park programs and general park and rec funding.

If you take money from the people of MN provide fair and equitable access for all of the people of MN on the public waters of MN.

Another major cause of concern is this being an example to other cities. What's to stop another park from simply closing their ramp to non-residents? Hey the city owns the ramp right? They can do what they want. A city could easily argue that few boats = less risk of AIS.

Even more likely is a city deciding to close their ramp during the weekdays, and only allowing access on weekends when they can afford to have an enforcement official on hand.

What we really need is legislation that requires PUBLIC boat launches to be open to the PUBLIC. These lakes belong to all of Minnesota.

If they really want to aid in the protection of our water from AIS, they should install hot water power washers near the launch. I'm sure it would cost a fraction of the price of maintaining personal at the launch and we could keep these launches open for use.

"If they really want to aid in the protection of our water from AIS, they should install hot water power washers near the launch. I'm sure it would cost a fraction of the price of maintaining personal at the launch and we could keep these launches open for use.

This is a way to keep the average person, in particular the fisherman off the lake. Most of those who live near the lake though they don't own the lakeshore would prefer that the lake receive minimal boat traffic. Those who pay to have a sailboat moored on the lake would also fall into that camp in general. I have access to a lake so it does not affect me personally at all. In fact these new invasive species laws benefit me directly by making it more difficult to access the lake my boat is sitting on right now. I still don't agree with what is being done but it's the brave new world we live in. My personal opinion is we should be funding more research in how to control these species as we will not be able to control it via boat checks etc.

This is a way to keep the average person, in particular the fisherman off the lake. Most of those who live near the lake though they don't own the lakeshore would prefer that the lake receive minimal boat traffic. Those who pay to have a sailboat moored on the lake would also fall into that camp in general. I have access to a lake so it does not affect me personally at all. In fact these new invasive species laws benefit me directly by making it more difficult to access the lake my boat is sitting on right now. I still don't agree with what is being done but it's the brave new world we live in. My personal opinion is we should be funding more research in how to control these species as we will not be able to control it via boat checks etc.

Well said. It's all about the special local interest. You have the courage to admit it. Thanks.

Maybe somebody can mock up a wooden dowel with a pair of underwear and apply for a spot to leave their boat/modified sailboat on the water.

Mallard, the MPLS lakes do not have homeowners or homeowner associations, it isn't about controlling access to the lake for a few people in this case. It is more of a misguided attempt at doing something good. I don't think the MPLS board fully grasps the reality of the situation. Compared to homeowners on Christmas Lake, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

GoBlue I suspect you didn't read Mallards previous 2 posts? He's aware there's no homeowners association.

Frankly I think the park and rec board does believe they are doing the right thing. But it doesn't hurt that the wealthy and vocal homeowners in combination with the sailing club are all for it.

My buddy just called and wants to go fishing, it's a beautiful day, but the launch is closed. This restriction seriously bothers me.

Think about it-No more Sunrise or Sunset fishing on the City Lakes.

MPLS. is getting more and more disconnected from being a part of Minnesota and the tradition of fishing. Soon it will be Latte sipping walkers and sailboaters only.

Student, I don't agree with the closing of the lake either, but if you were able to get a boat to one of the MPLS chain of lakes, surely you could have gotten to any of the many local lakes that don't have restrictions. You didn't give up that easily, did you?

GoBlue I suspect you didn't read Mallards previous 2 posts? He's aware there's no homeowners association.

Frankly I think the park and rec board does believe they are doing the right thing. But it doesn't hurt that the wealthy and vocal homeowners in combination with the sailing club are all for it.

My buddy just called and wants to go fishing, it's a beautiful day, but the launch is closed. This restriction seriously bothers me.

Thanks Student

I agree they all think they are doing the right thing as they are out of touch with the fishing public.They think they are protecting the lake from zeebs which if they looked at them for what they are- aren't really that bad.

Sorry you guys couldn't get out -which begs the question what is worse the zeebs or the fear of them and the limiting of the public's use of the lake??

Student, I don't agree with the closing of the lake either, but if you were able to get a boat to one of the MPLS chain of lakes, surely you could have gotten to any of the many local lakes that don't have restrictions. You didn't give up that easily, did you?

All lakes with a launch in MPLS have the reestriction.

Soon if MCWD is swayed by the Lakeshore Homeowners Groups most of Hennipin County Lake will have "Hours".

I suppose then it would be his fault for not finding a lake outside that area.

Are we in Minnesota??? someone pinch me.

As far as I understand, Lake Calhoun, Lake Harriet and Lake Nokomis are the only ones that have closed access hours. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying if you have the means to get a boat to either of those three lakes, and you really want to go fishing, you could find a lake close by that would work.

Do my tax dollars still pay to stock this lake? Seems like a waste to stock a bunch of fish that bite before or after they close the lake off.