• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minneapolis lakes will be chained off outside inspection hours

From the Strib.

HomeLocalWest Metro

Minneapolis to require all boat inspections

Article by: KELLY SMITH , Star Tribune Updated: June 21, 2012 - 11:45 AM

Minneapolis lakes will be chained off outside inspection hours, restricting boaters in an effort to slow the spread of invasive species.

In the most stringent measure by a Minnesota city to prevent boats from introducing invasive species, Minneapolis will soon require all watercraft entering its lakes to be inspected and will close boat launches when inspectors aren't there.

An emergency resolution was unanimously approved Wednesday by the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, following ramped up inspections statewide by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and cities like Shorewood, which has a new ordinance taking effect Thursday that also requires all inspections of boats at Christmas Lake.

In Minneapolis, staring July 13 through Sept. 30, any water-related equipment must be inspected before launching at the public boat access points at Lake Calhoun, Lake Harriet and Lake Nokomis. Inspectors will be on duty at each lake from 6 to 10 a.m. and 5 to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday as well as 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Outside those hours, the boat launch will be chained off and closed to boaters; park police can cite boaters if they enter during those times.

The board also closed Theodore Wirth Lake's public boat launch

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallardnwalleye

• goblueM

• Grum

• TheStudent

wow, glad I don't live there anymore. This is getting out of hand. What about canoes and kayaks? They going to prevent them from entering the lake during those hours too?

What about Sunday? No boating allowed on Sunday? Ridiculous

wow, glad I don't live there anymore. This is getting out of hand. What about canoes and kayaks? They going to prevent them from entering the lake during those hours too?

What about Sunday? No boating allowed on Sunday? Ridiculous

I noticed there was no mention of sunday in there either.

Goodness.

This is way to use the law to close off access to the average person. Christmas Lake has a history of this and now our public officials are using these laws to shut out the general public to city lakes. You can slow the spread of AIS but you will not stop it.

This is way to use the law to close off access to the average person. Christmas Lake has a history of this and now our public officials are using these laws to shut out the general public to city lakes. You can slow the spread of AIS but you will not stop it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "average person". Is there some loophope for the rich or something?

This is ridiculous, but not unheard of. Many lakes in California are closed after dark.

Many lakes in California are closed after dark.

and look how messed up California is not a state i would like to be compared to.

We need Jesse back as governor. He got rid of vehicle emissions testing and he'd get rid of this carp.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "average person". Is there some loophope for the rich or something?

Here is a link to the Lake Harriet Sailing Club webcam. http://www.lhycsailing.com/webcam/lhyc.html

Notice that (3)three of the boats have outboard motors on them. The city has an ordinance stating only electric motors are allowed to be used by the public on city lakes.

A few winters back a couple of pilots landed their small planes on Lake Calhoun and were fined for operating a vehicle with a gas engine on the lake. Made me think about gas powered ice augers, they are not vehicles, but still don't know for sure if they are in violation

That is kind of interesting. I would imagine there's a good explanation. Perhaps they're for emergency personnel? Wouldn't be good if someone was drowning and the lifeguards were rowing out to them.

Either way I'm sure nobody is getting away with making such an obvious violation on that lake.

Notice that (3)three of the boats have outboard motors on them. The city has an ordinance stating only electric motors are allowed to be used by the public on city lakes.

Pssst...you can have three 250 hp outboards on your boat on the city lakes, you just can't fire them up.

And gas augers are legal......for now. wink

The lifegard boats have small outboards on them and they use them, but not all that often from what I've seen.

Yes, I did know that you can use your boat on the lakes with your gas outboard tilted up. I just thought it was interesting that they chose this year, with all the new awareness, regulation and enforcement upgrades, to put 3 outboards on these boats. They are primarily used to ferry people out to their sailboats from the dock. (The one you can't swim or fish from and is not near the swimming beach.)

what about canoes and kayaks? if they close the launch, could we still launch the canoe?

The Peoples Republic of Ninnyapolis strikes again.

I think the "invasive species" they are targeting is the "average Joe".

If you're not a paddleboarding,windsurfing,whatever the next trendy thing is kind of person, you are out of luck. You are a backwards neanderthal who must be banished from our sight.I have nothing against paddleboarders or windsurfers, so save the hate mail.

I'm just saying where is the common sense? Anything can travel from lake to lake on any watercraft, not just fishing boats. I've got a set of waders and a float tube that no one on the park board even gave a thought to. I never use the launch to get in or out of the water with those.

What about someone swimming in lake X,and lake Y in the same afternoon without changing their bathing suit? Heck,what are they going to do when the inspector lets you on the lake at 6 AM and you want to get off at 11 AM? "No sir, the boat ramp has a chain across it and you have to wait until the inspector arrives at 5 PM to leave."

Politicians."They're so busy talking, they can't hear what they're saying."

what about canoes and kayaks? if they close the launch, could we still launch the canoe?

I don't see why not. As long as you don't use the launch. The launch is closed, not the lake.

AIS- It is starting to look like the gestapo prevention measures are worse than the reality of having them.

Zeebs aren't a major threat in those city lakes as zeebs only like to live in rocky areas or on hard surfaces.

This is all getting so silly!

Well this is the city that passed a law stating "Red cars may not drive down Lake Street". and if your thinking of taking a break from this madness just remember: A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head.

I wonder whose idea this was? I used to fish Calhoun and Harriet every quite a bit. I suppose you can't fish in the fall and you can't get off the water until 5pm if you put in at 9am.

I hope it's illegal to regulate the launch and it doesn't spread to other lakes.

Looks like we"ll be launching at the beach.. 4x4 is pointless on ramps anyway!

AIS- It is starting to look like the gestapo prevention measures are worse than the reality of having them.

Zeebs aren't a major threat in those city lakes as zeebs only like to live in rocky areas or on hard surfaces.

This is all getting so silly!

And they already have eurasian milfoil, worse than most lakes I've seen. Its uninformed, knee-jerk reactionism at its best, possibly combined with the desire to limit recreational traffic on lakes

Just read in the revised article in the Trib. Sundays hours are the same as Fri-Sat, and kayaks and canoes are fine if carried in, in places other than the boat launch. As far as the season ending, no word on that yet. Looks like this is also just in place for the remainder of this season only. Next year will be decided after a review on the effectiveness of this year.

Sounds like the DNR was a little miffed that they were not consulted a little more before they went ahead with this.

Wow, really? Gestapo? Move to another state? Comparing us to CALIFORNIA? Y'all need to get a grip on reality!

I'm happy somebody is doing SOMETHING. The state & Congress have been sitting around with their thumbs in their asset-s for how many years not doing jack. "Gee let's fund another four-year study!"

Wow, really? Gestapo? Move to another state? Comparing us to CALIFORNIA? Y'all need to get a grip on reality!

I'm happy somebody is doing SOMETHING. The state & Congress have been sitting around with their thumbs in their asset-s for how many years not doing jack. "Gee let's fund another four-year study!"

and just what do you think this ACTUALLY accomplishes? The city lakes already have invasive vegetation. This is locking the keys inside the stable after the horse has already been stolen

Where is the DNR to stick up for public access to lakes? So in the future we may not be able to start fishing until 9am when the lake police inspect and open the launch?

What the heck is going on here?

Simply a way to try and privatize the lake by lake home owners...Taxpayers pay for the lake but wont be allowed to fish or use it other than limited hours unless you have a slip on the water...