• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012-13 off season talk

Scott K

AK47 is not the player he once was...draft picks are the only thing a bad franchise has and this one hasn't had many picks in the last 10 years and now ours is gone again...Kahn swung and missed on Batum (luckily for him at that price AND luckily for him because no one knows who Williams will be and he would have dropped 2 first rounders with Portland) now he's compensating with other moves in desperation for a 7 or 8 seed...small markets have to build for the future continuously.

Rubio is going to be out for most of the season, what's the point in trying to force things? I hope things work out, but I get the feeling we're making bad moves...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• Scott M

• ozzie

• schmitty3

Quote:
Swingman Wes Johnson was traded from the Timberwolves to the Suns on Wednesday.

He was a full time starter for the Wolves last season, but averaged just six points. He had a good summer, averaging 20.5 points and hit nine 3-pointers in four Summer League games last week, but then again, it was Summer League. Expect him to compete with Jared Dudley (SG) and Michael Beasley (SF) for a starting job with the Suns.

He may have declined some, but he was named MVP in the Euro league, and he is miles better then Wes on defense. 2 yr, 20 is a little steep, with the 2nd yr being a player option, and it sucks we had to give up a 1st round pick to get rid of Wes. But we also got 2 second round picks, and AK47 for Wes and a first. The first round pick was more then likely going to be a mid round anyhow, and with Kahnes past of drafting, it wouldnt have much value.

A line of

Rubio/Luke/JJ

Budinger/Roy/Schved

AK47/Roy

Love/Stiemsma

Pek

Looks a lot better then last year.

Dont know what to think of AK47 4 years ago he was a beast now who knows its an upgrade though

AK47 is 31 with a will to still prove he can play in the NBA. He has never put up great numbers but has had a few seasons avg. around 15-7 up to 16pts and 8rebs a game in 03-04 I think but he is a solid defender and can play a postion we need help with. The first round pick was from Memphis and lottery protected so I am not dissapointed in losing it...Interesting team on paper that is for sure...10 white guys on one team in the NBA? Very worldly team!!

I agree with Da Chise they're making moves like we're making a run at a championship. Glad the Blazers matched the Batum offer, but we're trying to do too much this offseason. AK47 and Roy are both pretty big gambles...

I agree with Da Chise they're making moves like we're making a run at a championship. Glad the Blazers matched the Batum offer, but we're trying to do too much this offseason. AK47 and Roy are both pretty big gambles...

They are gambles but if we didn't do anything to shake up the team to much wouldn't the majority of the fans like us be complaining about them not trying to get better. I agree that the two are gambles but even a couple seasons in the playoffs could be enough for another bigger name player to want to come here and play. After Roys and AK47's contract is up in two years we hopefully will be in a position to get a top free agent.

I do agree, they seem like they are trying to find that key player to make a run. But we arent to that point yet. They did need to get someone decent in here though, because they cut every one to clear cap for Batum. I have no problem with them going after a couple over paid possible high upside or bust players this year. They are short term contracts, and wont put us to far behind. They wanted a couple veterans in the locker room for a push into the playoffs. They found a couple. Even if they wernt top players, they will fill a need.

We wont be winning it all this year, and if we can stay healthy, we should get a 5-8 seed, with either a 1st round exit, or a 2nd round exit. But that little playoff push will give the team something to shoot for, for the next year.

If we flop this season, and not make the playoffs, Roys, and AK47's contracts are still a good contract, Roy's will be an expiring, wich is a valuable trade asset, and AK47's will be a 1 year deal as well, wich if he is decent at all, will have trade value too. We havent hand cuffed ourselves with bad contracts by signing these 2 players, and they are just experienced, high upside type players. Both players are looking to prove they are still capable to play in the NBA, so they will be playing for something, not just a check. If Roy can come back 80%, and AK comes back being 80% of what he was a few years ago, we have a team of

PG- Rubio

SG- Roy

SF- AK47

PF- Love

C- Pek

Compliment that with a much improved bench over last year, we may actually have something to be excited about. Now I know 80% is optimistic on either player, but it could happen. I would give the Wolves 47 wins this season, with the 7th seed, and being knocked out of the playoofs in round 1, but if we have a healthy team, and players play like they could? We may play a couple rounds in the playoffs.

Another thing to add, is that our defense will be many times better then last season as well, even if these players dont live up to the hype on the offensive side of the ball.

This seasons schedule is now out as well, looks like we got 14 national covered games. Looking up in the world.

Quote:
2012-13 TIMBERWOLVES REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE

DATE OPPONENT TIME NAT. TV SCHEDULE

Friday, Nov. 2 Sacramento 7 PM

Sunday, Nov. 4 @ Toronto 5 PM NBA TV

Monday, Nov. 5 @ Brooklyn 6:30 PM NBA TV

Wednesday, Nov. 7 Orlando 7 PM

Friday, Nov. 9 Indiana 7 PM

Saturday, Nov. 10 @ Chicago 7 PM

Monday, Nov. 12 @ Dallas 7:30 PM

Wednesday, Nov. 14 Charlotte 7 PM

Friday, Nov. 16 Golden State 7 PM

Wednesday, Nov. 21 Denver 7 PM

Friday, Nov. 23 @ Portland 9 PM

Saturday, Nov. 24 @ Golden State 9:30 PM

Tuesday, Nov. 27 @ Sacramento 9 PM

Wednesday, Nov. 28 @ L.A. Clippers 9:30 PM NBA TV

Friday, Nov. 30 Milwaukee 7 PM

Tuesday, Dec. 4 @ Philadelphia 6 PM

Wednesday, Dec. 5 @ Boston 6:30 PM

Friday, Dec. 7 Cleveland 7 PM

Wednesday, Dec. 12 Denver 7 PM

Friday, Dec. 14 @ New Orleans 7 PM

Saturday, Dec. 15 Dallas 7 PM

Monday, Dec. 17 @ Orlando 6 PM

Tuesday, Dec. 18 @ Miami 6:30 PM

Thursday, Dec. 20 Oklahoma City 6 PM TNT

Sunday, Dec. 23 @ New York 4 PM

Wednesday, Dec. 26 Houston 7 PM

Saturday, Dec. 29 Phoenix 7 PM

Wednesday, Jan. 2 @ Utah 8 PM

Thursday, Jan. 3 @ Denver 8 PM

Saturday, Jan. 5 Portland 7 PM

Tuesday, Jan. 8 Atlanta 7 PM

Wednesday, Jan. 9 @ Oklahoma City 7 PM

Friday, Jan. 11 @ New Orleans 7 PM

Sunday, Jan. 13 @ San Antonio 6 PM

Monday, Jan. 14 @ Dallas 7:30 PM

Thursday, Jan. 17 L.A. Clippers 7 PM TNT

Saturday, Jan. 19 Houston 7 PM

Monday, Jan. 21 @ Atlanta 1 PM

Wednesday, Jan. 23 Brooklyn 7 PM

Friday, Jan. 25 @ Washington 6 PM

Saturday, Jan. 26 @ Charlotte 6 PM

Wednesday, Jan. 30 L.A. Clippers 7 PM

Friday, Feb. 1 L.A. Lakers 8:30 PM ESPN

Saturday, Feb. 2 New Orleans 7 PM NBA TV

Monday, Feb. 4 Portland 7 PM

Wednesday, Feb. 6 San Antonio 8 PM ESPN

Friday, Feb. 8 New York 7 PM

Sunday, Feb. 10 @ Memphis 5 PM

Monday, Feb. 11 @ Cleveland 7 PM

Wednesday, Feb. 13 Utah 7 PM

All-Star Weekend (Feb. 15-17) Houston

Wednesday, Feb. 20 Philadelphia 7 PM

Friday, Feb. 22 @ Oklahoma City 7 PM ESPN

Sunday, Feb. 24 Golden State 2:30 PM

Tuesday, Feb. 26 @ Phoenix 8 PM

Thursday, Feb. 28 @ L.A. Lakers 9:30 PM TNT

Saturday, March 2 @ Portland 9 PM NBA TV

Monday, March 4 Miami 7 PM NBA TV

Wednesday, March 6 Washington 7 PM

Saturday, March 9 @ Denver 8 PM

Sunday, March 10 Dallas 6 PM NBA TV

Tuesday, March 12 San Antonio 7 PM

Wednesday, March 13 @ Indiana 6 PM

Friday, March 15 @ Houston 7 PM NBA TV

Sunday, March 17 New Orleans 6 PM

Monday, March 18 @ Memphis 7 PM

Thursday, March 21 @ Sacramento 9 PM

Friday, March 22 @ Phoenix 8 PM

Sunday, March 24 Chicago 6 PM

Tuesday, March 26 @ Detroit 6:30 PM

Wednesday, March 27 L.A. Lakers 7 PM

Friday, March 29 Oklahoma City 7 PM

Saturday, March 30 Memphis 7 PM

Monday, April 1 Boston 7 PM

Wednesday, April 3 @ Milwaukee 7 PM

Friday, April 5 Toronto 7 PM

Saturday, April 6 Detroit 7 PM

Tuesday, April 9 @ Golden State 9:30 PM

Wednesady, April 10 @ L.A. Clippers 9:30 PM

Friday, April 12 @ Utah 8 PM

Saturday, April 13 Phoenix 7 PM

Monday, April 15 Utah 7 PM

Wednesday, April 17 @ San Antonio 7 PM

Quote:
The Minnesota Timberwolves today announced the team acquired three second-round draft picks and sent forward Wes Johnson and a future first-round draft pick to Phoenix in a three-team trade that also involved the New Orleans Hornets.

The move frees up salary cap space for the 2012-13 season, making it possible for the Timberwolves to make additional moves this offseason.

"We thank Wes for his two seasons in Minnesota and wish him the best in Phoenix," President of Basketball Operations David Kahn said. "This trade frees up salary cap space for us as we pursue adding additional players to our roster."

Johnson was the fourth overall pick out of Syracuse in 2010. He spent two seasons with the Wolves, averaging 7.7 points and 2.9 rebounds in 144 games (127 starts).

After an up and down 2011-12 season in which he played in 65 of the team’s 66 games—starting 64—but averaged 6.0 points per game, Johnson spent much of his offseason working on his game in New York and had a memorable Summer League last week in Las Vegas. Johnson averaged 20.5 points per game during four Summer League contests and shot 9-of-20 from 3-point range.

But with the season fast approaching and the Timberwolves having already made moves to add Chase Budinger, Alexey Shved and Robbie Hummel—as well as working with Derrick Williams to move into the small forward position—the Wolves are looking to improve their wing play this offseason.

The Wolves received two second-round draft picks from New Orleans—a 2013 pick of the Brooklyn Nets and a 2016 pick originally belonging to the Wolves. Both picks were acquired by the Hornets in a July 13, 2012 trade. The Wolves also received a second-round draft pick from Phoenix, a 2014 pick of the Los Angeles Lakers that the Suns acquired on July 11, 2012.

Also in the trade, Phoenix sent center Robin Lopez and forward Hakim Warrick to New Orleans and the Hornets sent guard Jerome Dyson and center Brad Miller to the Suns.

Quote:
Timberwolves sign F Andrei Kirilenko.

Kirilenko is expected to receive a two-year, $20 million contract, with the second season being a player option. He's spent time with CSKA Moscow, but now he'll return to the NBA where he should immediately start for the Timberwolves. Fantasy owners should take note of his versatile game, as he has career averages of 12.4 points, 5.6 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 1.4 steals and 2.0 blocks on 47 percent shooting.

Kahn said he will officially sign Roy early next week. He also said that he has one more significant trade in the works, but it wont be finalized until after the Olympics.

Hmm, wonder who he is going after? We have no cap space, so that means we would have to get rid/trade a player.

Who are we going to trade? Luke? JJ? Williams? Pek?

Who would we be going after? Could they be in the works for a 3 team trade for the Lakers to get Howard? We get Pau Gasol? But I dont know where the cap space to sign him would come from. Even if we traded, Williams, and Pek, that still is no where near enough. I like Pek, and I hope he is signed long term to the Wolves.

They are pretty thin with bigs...was listening to Barreiro with Flip and Flip thought they would make at least one more move.

They are pretty thin with bigs...was listening to Barreiro with Flip and Flip thought they would make at least one more move.

Well they have

Pek

Love

Williams

Tolliver??

Stiemsma

Cunningham

AK47 could play some PF

Am i missing anyone?

I agree it would either have to be a big, and trade out some one, or dump JJ, or Luke, and pick up a better PG, since it sounds like Rubio may be out most of the year, or at least not near 100%.

I would be ok with Carl Landry as a back up to Love.

If any of you watched many games last year, you will know how lame our wing position was. Being played by Wes Johnson, and the SG position filled by one of our PG, Luke, or JJ. It doesnt take much to improve on their play, but here is a couple examples of things our new wing men can do.

Air Bud

We're still fat at the 3 and thin up front in my book.

Cunningham and Tolliver (if he's retained) are undersized at the 4, Williams sans 20 pounds is even smaller, Kirilenko will defend well at a variety of positions.

I think Landry is looking for a starting gig, we've got our own low post scorer that can't defend.

Stiemsma will be ok at center. I do agree, it will need to be a big, or trading away a pg, and upgrading. We are heavy at sf, but better then last year.

The points scored didnt impress me because the talent he is playing is quite a bit lower then playing in the NBA, but the fact he is in good shape, and is staying on top of his game. Lets just hope that playing less games last year, did in fact give his body a little RNR, and he will come back to the NBA ready to play hard for 80+ games

The shooting % was good, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. Sure it is a good sign, but until he is playing against better defense, the numbers really dont mean much. I could shoot 80% playing against 12 year olds, that doesnt mean I would be able to shoot that against an NBA team.

Hypothetically of course. I dont think I could shoot 80% without anyone guarding me.

Hypothetically of course. I dont think I could shoot 80% without anyone guarding me.

I was gonna question that!!! haha

I know it was against GB but I would imagine that he would have been guarded by Luol Deng who is no slouch and a legit NBA defender. I am going to hold out hope like I do every Twolves season and think that we got a good deal with Shved and AK.

No doubt! I will be as well. Regardless, we upgraded, and we have actual potential to be above 500 for the first time in almost a decade. I am just excited to see who Kahn is still in the works for. He said that after the Olympics, he was going to make one more significant move. Kinda makes the offseason a little exciting anyhow.

After not much to love about the puppies for a few (ok, 7-8) years, I am excited to see what they can do. Only wish Rubio would be in from the start so they could all be gelling together come xmas... hopefully PG dujour will be able to piece together a decent first couple months!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Lakers are stacked again tired

Orlando got robbed of once in a generation big men by Los Angeles twice now.

Might as well start contracting small market teams and let the East and West coasts duke it out.

Ya, it was almost like a sorry about the Chris Paul thing, we will let you steal Dwight to make up for it.

I just think there is to many egos on the team, and they will impload by midseason.