• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012-13 off season talk

Scott K

Quote:
Interest is mutual" between Jamal Crawford and the Timberwolves, according to Darren Wolfson.

Crawford is expected to opt out of his contract with the Blazers, and we're just waiting to make it official at this point. He'll be an unrestricted free agent at that point, and it makes sense the Timberwolves would target him after going after him in the 2011 offseason as well. Minnesota has a hole at the shooting guard spot and previous reports have indicated that the team would like to fill it with a veteran.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• Scott M

• ozzie

• schmitty3

I think they are going to make it happen, since they tried hard last year.

I want Batum!

I would love to have Batum, but I dont think it is going to happen. I think they plan on building around him.

If we can get Crawford, and Mayo here this offseason, I would be happy.

Crawford is better than what we got but he isn't consistant and isn't a very good leader and has been around awhile so that doesn't get me too excited but to get Batum or even Mayo would be interesting as both are young with big upsides esp. Batum.

Quote:
The Wolves are reportedly "set to offer" free agent Brandon Roy an undisclosed two-year deal.

This doesn't mean he is ready to accept the offer, as Wolves beat writer Darren Wolfson writes "there's a strong belief Roy favors a championship contender." Wolves assistant coach Bill Bayno has convinced David Kahn that Roy is worth the injury-risk, but unless he received some truly magical German knee therapy we can't see his comeback working out. Wolfson adds that the Wolves are still tracking Jamal Crawford, who will likely opt out of his deal and become a free agent.

Quote:
Wolves GM David Kahn is pleased with Derrick Williams' offseason progress, noting that D-Will has lost weight since the regular season ended.

Williams has a personal goal of 225 pounds, according to Kahn, compared to his (perhaps generous) official listing of 241 pounds. His role should expand considerably next year after rookie averages of 8.8 points, 4.7 rebounds, 0.5 steals and 0.5 blocks in 21 minutes per game.

I wouldn't trade him either as I would like to see what he does with a better off season and a year under his belt. He has the talent now let's see if he has the drive to push his abilities to their limits night in and night out during the regular season.

Quote:
The Timberwolves offered Derrick Williams to the Bobcats for the No. 2 overall pick but were "quickly rejected," according to Jonathan Givony of Draft Express.

Clearly the Bobcats are fielding a multitude of offers for the second overall selection, and Charlotte doesn't have any interest in the 2011 No. 2 pick in exchange for the pick this season. It's going to be a busy day for the Bobcats as the team explores different ways to improve a dismal roster. Williams has reportedly been shopped since the trade deadline.

I cant complain too much about taking Robbie Hummell 58th...he would've been a first rounder without the knee injuries. Hopefully he doesnt get hurt anymore cause he has potential!

Not a very exciting evening for Wolves fans. Hopefully free agency is a bit more active. We need to add at least one good player to SG, or SF. With Williams potential still up in the air, and his primary position is pretty much filled with Love. Williams only hope is to either get traded, convert to a SF (I doubt he can be successful) or be a tweener and relieve Love, and a starting SF. I see the later being his only option if we keep him. But that still leaves us with a hole at the starting SF position.

Not to mention, I would really like to get a better SG here as well, I am not to high on Budinger yet. I see him more as a bench player.

Quote:
The Timberwolves are "pulling out all the stops" to acquire Pau Gasol, sources tell the Associated Press.

Minnesota was attempting to trade Derrick Williams for the No. 2 overall pick in Thursday's draft, and the Timberwolves reportedly would have sent that selection to the Lakers as part of a Gasol package. Minnesota has been interested in Gasol for a while, but we'll have to see if a scenario can gain any traction between the two teams now that the draft has concluded.

This rumor has been flying around for a while now. I hope he dont mortgage the farm to get him. Sure, he is good, but he doesnt fill a position of need. And he is way over paid, and the Lakers are looking for huge returns on getting him. I would prefer we go after Batum, Mayo, Iggy, rather then over spend on a position we have filled with our 2 best players.

Quote:
The Grizzlies have opted not to extend a qualifying offer to O.J. Mayo, making him an unrestricted FA.

Mayo's QO came with a steep $7.4 million price tag, more than he's likely to earn annually on the free market, though plenty of teams will be vying for his services. The Knicks, Celtics and Pacers have all been interested in Mayo at various times -- it's worth noting that he views himself as a PG going forward.

Hmmm

Quote:
The agent for restricted free agent Nicolas Batum told Blazers GM Neil Olshey not to contact his client during negotiations.

CSNNW's Chris Haynes has done an excellent job tracking this story, which needless to say hasn't gotten nearly enough attention. Batum's agent, Bouna Ndiaye, has been at odds with Blazers management ever since they reportedly low-balled the rising star on an extension last season. We've cautioned folks not to set it in stone that Batum will stay, and with each passing report his once favorable odds head toward a coin flip.

Maybe we can swoop in and take him away smile

I think Hummel is a decent 2nd Rnd pick. He'll fit Adelman's system well as a role player - good passer, shooter, and will play hard on D. Can't expect much more from a 2nd Rnd'er in the NBA. Hopefully his knee problems are behind him.

Obviously because of the trade the NBA draft was a bore. The T-Wolves real action will be the next week or two, with the start of Free Agency. They now basically have 5 Small Forwards on the roster, something will give there.

Everybody in the Mgmt of the team wants to win now. Taylor is in his 70's and wants to sell the team in 3-4 years. Adelman is in his 60's and came out of retirement for one last chance to win. Kahn needs to win or he is going to lose his job. So expect them to figure out a way to bring in one more good player, whether its Gasol or whoever, via FA or Trade and address the SG position. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out, and actually make some moves for people you have heard of, instead of some Euro player you have never heard of.

BTW, I think they should hold on to Williams for one more year. He didn't even have a proper offseason/training camp last year. Way too early to see tell what he is going to become after his adjustment to the Pro level.

We'll see what happens with Williams. I don't know what the Wolves dont' like about the kid, if it's something behind closed doors...The Celtics traded away Joe Johnson in his rookie year to win now and the guy became a pretty solid small forward.

Quote:
The Timberwolves met with Brandon Roy on Friday and "like their chances to get him," according to ESPN's Darren Wolfson.

David Kahn is giving Roy a full-court press in free agency, and we'll soon learn whether Roy feels he's a good fit in Minnesota. Roy is eligible to sign a deal immediately, according to Wolfson, but might opt to wait until the official free agent signing period begins on July 11.

I am not sure what I think of Roy, if he can hold his own on defense, I am sure he can get the ball to drop, but is his knees good enough to handle covering other 2's?

Beas and Randolph are gone. No qualifying offers extended. We'll see what happens with Webster.

We could still sign either one, just once fa starts. I doubt it though.

I don't like Jamal Crawford, I prefer Michael Beasley.

In other news:

Quote:
The Timberwolves have set up a meeting with Celtics restricted free agent Greg Stiemsma, as Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune writes. A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com tweets that the Celtics remain Stiemsma's first choice

Quote:
Jordon Hill, 24, plans to travel to Minneapolis on Monday to discuss a deal with the Timberwolves management, league sources said. The T'wolves could have as much as $20 million in cap space to spend on free agents.

Quote:
The Timberwolves have reportedly offered Nicolas Batum a contract worth as much as $50 million over four years.

The Hornets and Raptors are also expected to meet with Batum, and with his relationship with the Blazers fraying there are no guarantees that Portland will match a big offer sheet (which can't actually be signed until July 11). Batum is coming off a career year in which he averaged 13.9 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.0 blocks and 1.0 steals.

I like this!

A line up of Rubio, Batum, Williams, Pek, Love would be exciting, and a good young core. Then we just need a few vets for the bench, and we should be a contender. But I doubt very much Portland will not match any offer, and that Batum will play for the Wolves.

Oh man, now I'm getting excited (see Batum comments from about 7-8 months ago). I think Jordan Hill has some potential, but he needs minutes. He's a big body at least. Stiemsma does nothing for me. Celtics got a lot outta the guy as far as defense and rebounding but I don't' see that happening here.

We need to cheer for the Pacers to not match Indiana's offer on Hibbert. If the Blazers land Hibbert, they won't have the cash for Batum.

My personal feeling is that Portland offered Hibbert that much knowing Batum will be gone. I cant imagine they would offer Hibbert that much, knowing they will need to match a big offer to Batum, and be surprised, that they will need to match the offer to keep Batum.

I am excited about us possibly getting a top FA here in MN, if we do, that is a good sign, things are looking up for us. Although, I think players know that with Love, Rubio, and Adelman here, that the Wolves have an intention to win. That and I also heard Love is going around and trying to gather some good players here, I hope it is true.

Quote:
On Sunday night in downtown Minneapolis, owner Glen Taylor and his wife had dinner with Portland Trail Blazers restricted free agent Nicolas Batum and his wife. Earlier in the day, Batum had a lengthy chat with Wolves coach Rick Adelman and president of basketball operations David Kahn. According to a source with intimate knowledge of those discussions, Batum is the Wolves' Plan A in free agency -- and he told the Wolves he has legitimate interest in coming. ESPN.com

A team source said Batum's agent is very much in control of the situation, more so than for most free agents. Comcast Portland is reporting Batum will meet with the Blazers on Thursday or Friday. The Wolves think there's a decent chance he'll express his desire to play in Minnesota. ESPN.com

The Wolves, like every team, have Plans B and C. It involves possibly trading for Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala, although the source said that contract is troublesome. ESPN.com

(The Wolves) also have reached out to representatives for free-agent shooting guards O.J. Mayo and Louis Williams. Neither is scheduled to visit for now, but that could change based on Batum. ESPN.com

cool