• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012-13 off season talk

Scott K

Quote:
Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes

Update: F Nicolas Batum has narrowed decision to Minnesota, Portland. All other team visits postponed. |

Umm, I am getting excited now!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• Scott M

• ozzie

• schmitty3

Quote:
Free agent Nicolas Batum has reportedly narrowed his choices down to the Timberwolves and Blazers, and has postponed all future visits.

Batum's meeting with the Timberwolves went really well, but the bottom line here is that the Blazers can meet their offer, once it comes in. But at this point, it appears Batum will either be in Minnesota or Portland next season.

and he hasnt even talked to Portland. Sounds good for us!

But Portland owns his rights. I still think Indiana will match on Hibbert and Rip City will match on Batum. The guy can score 28 in his sleep and plays pretty good defense, then sleep in the next game. The Blazers have always been reluctant to let him walk even after benching him a few times because they think he's ready to make the leap to All Star status.

I dont think Portland will let him walk free and clear, more then likely a sign and trade. If Batum doesnt want to play there, it doesnt pay to force him to.

If you were Batum, would you rather play with Portland? Or Love, Rubio, and Pek, Williams, and being coached by Adelman? With more then likely Brandon Roy coming here as well. We could be the next Miami next year smile

If the Pacers match Hibbert, why would Portland pay Batum 12.5+, they wouldnt be much of contenders. I could see them getting Hibbert, then signing Batuum, to make a run this year.

Quote:
The Rockets withdrew their qualifying offer to swingman Courtney Lee, making him an unrestricted free agent.

The Rockets withdrew their offer because had he accepted, because according to beat writer Jonathan Feigen it would have taken them out of the running for Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik, and long-shot Eric Gordon. Goran Dragic isn't getting any cheaper, either. Various sources are reporting that Lee is getting interest from the Bulls, Pacers, Clippers, Mavs, Suns, Wizards, Grizzlies, and Hawks, as he has become a hot name in a short amount of time -- the antithesis to inefficient, one-dimensional free agents like Jamal Crawford and Nick Young.

I would be ok with Lee as well

Quote:
Nic Batum does not want to return to the Portland Trail Blazers "under any circumstances for a variety of reasons," according to an NBA source close to the situation. Batum, a free agent who visited the Minnesota Timberwolves this week, is said to have told the Blazers Tuesday that he does not want to return to the team. CSNNW.com

"Batum never wants to play in Portland again," the source said. "And has determined that Minnesota is the best for him and his family." CSNNW.com

I would take Batum, and Lee as our wingmen smile

Come on July 11th!

His agent told the Blazers in the middle of the season he didn't want to come back when he was benched. They should get the hint, but I still fully expect them to match.

I suspect they will as well, I just hope they dont. Adding Batum to this young team would give us a good young starting 4, that will attract some good vets to the team.

Quote:
Jason Quick of the Oregonian reported Thursday that Brandon Roy has agreed to a two-year, $10.4 million deal with the Wolves.

If Roy's knee is miraculously rehabbed it will be a heart-warming story, but fans and fantasy owners alike should expect the worst and hope for the best. A 10-15 minute role off the bench is probably perfect, but this offer suggests that the Wolves think he can contribute much, much more. They may be completely crazy, but that's what they did. If we sense that he's going to be given a heavier load, we might give him more fantasy attention but for now he's hands off.

I'm kind of torn on the Roy signing. It could be amazing or it could be horrible. I don't really see it being anything in between unless they want to give him limited minutes. But I doubt they signed him for limited minutes.

I guess we'll wait and see.

Quote:
Restricted free agent Nicolas Batum agreed to a four-year, $45 million offer sheet made by the Wolves on Thursday.

The AP reports that the bonuses could push the deal past $50 million and also that Batum wants to go to Minnesota. This is interesting, because all of Portland's media has [PoorWordUsage]-pooed the reports that Batum wanted to leave and most of the nationwide discourse has echoed that sentiment, as well. Now the Blazers have the right to match, and that too has been written as a foregone conclusion by the folks covering the story up close. Stay tuned.

We over payed for Roy. I think he would be great as a 10 minute per game, and not on back to back nights type of player. Batum, wse will see, but Portland will match.

I think Portland will only be able to match if the Hibbert thing falls through. I don't think they will have the cash to pursue Batum if Hibbert agrees to the contract and it actually goes through. So here is to hoping that Roy Hibbert is a Blazer in the days to come!!

Portland has plenty of cap to sign both, and then some. I think it is the other way around. I think if they sign Hibbert, they are going to sign Batum and try to make a run this year, if they dont sign Hibbert, they may decide to let Batum go, and go into a rebuild mode, and make a run for next year. Regardless, I think they are going to resign Batum, unless somehow Batum can convince Portland that he is going to be a big distraction if they do sign him. In that case, I think they will just trade him, and probably not to us, since we are the ones who wrote the offer sheet on him.

Even though I would really like Batum in a wolves jersey I still don't think it will happen. Like stated already I can't see portland not signing him and even if they do a sign and trade I don't see us as the team who gets him.

As for Roy, I really like this sign. I know he won't be the player he was a few years ago but if he can play even 20 minutes a game I think it will help a considerably.

If they do a sign and trade it will be with MN as this is where Batum wants to play!!! The sign and trade is best for both teams in this case as he wants out and they need something in return...

We over payed for Roy.

Agreed. He is a $2mil/year guy at this point that will play 10-15 mins a game off the bench. No ideas why they guaranteed him $5mil this year, even if the second year isn't guaranteed. Who knows if he can even play, there's a reason he retired and sat out last year.

We overpaid to get him to Minnesota. Gotta face that this isn't a very attractive market...poor and short team history, off the coast, weather, etc.

For $5 mill I'm not too worried. The guy didn't seem like he had much left, but maybe he'll get on of those German subterfuge injection treatments and be decent. And year 2 isn't guaranteed so oh well.

I'm not too sure about a sign and trade deal with Batum. I heard it would be Sixers moving Iguadola to the Blazers, we'd move Derrick Williams to Philly, and we'd be Batum.

Derrick Williams has had one year in this league and some bright flashes. Seems a little early to give up on him. I guess they really want to round out the roster to make it work. If the terms of the Batum contract are accurate, the Wolves will need to do some other dealing to fit under the cap.

Ray Allen is a member of the Heat. The road to ring #2 for LeBron just got easier. I don't see another team that can claim to be on the same plane as the Heat now.

I would love to keep Williams, but if we can trade Williams, to get Batum, or Iggy, we do it. Batum and Iggy are top wing players now, Batum is only 23, and can still improve, Iggy is very good, and we can only hope Williams would ever be as good as him.

So in theory we trade a potential in Williams, for either a proven Iggy, or a much better refined young project in Batum. I say we do it.

Quote:
According to his agent, Nicolas Batum personally asked Blazers management on Thursday not to match his four-year, $45 million offer sheet from the Timberwolves.

Batum's much-maligned agent, Bouna Ndiaye, said that Batum's "heart isn't [in Portland]," and that he felt his role last season was too limited -- "He wasn't able to get up and down ... being a Bruce Bowen in-the-corner player frustrated him." Remember that the Wolves have only made a verbal commitment (nothing can be signed until July 11) and many NBA observers feel that Minnesota and Batum are simply trying to create some leverage where none truly exists. It has been previously reported that during Thursday's meeting, the Blazers told Batum they would match the offer regardless of his preference.

Quote:
Stiemsma, after meeting twice with Minnesota, reportedly was offered a contract for $3 million next season.

The Indiana Pacers plan to match the Portland Trail Blazers' offer to restricted free agent Roy Hibbert, the Indianapolis Star reported on Monday.

ESPN has confirmed the Pacers' plans for Hibbert.

Sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that Portland offered the center a four-year, $58 million contract, the maximum allowed under the collective bargaining agreement.

The Pacers drafted Hibbert with the 17th overall pick in 2008 and the Georgetown product has seen his scoring and rebounding averages rise every season, reaching a career-high 12.8 points and 8.8 rebounds in the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season.

With Hibbert anchoring their frontcourt, the Pacers were 42-24 this year and lost to the Miami Heat in six games in the second round of the playoffs.

How do you guys think this will effect our chances with batum?

Gotta pull a sign and trade now for Batum...Too many casual NBA fans will be surprised to learn the difference between an offer sheet on a RFA and a free and clear UFA...The funny thing is, the CBA was supposed to address competitive balance and RFAs are supposed to help small markets, and instead you are watching every team in a major market pursue a "Big 3" of their own.

It would be interesting to see who will be available next year via free agency. I don't think adding one player is going to change this team much. I wouldn't trade Williams for 5-10 more wins.

They might be able to make the playoffs if Rubio comes back healthy and they pick up a decent 2.

Brandon Roy does nothing for me.

To be honest, if they lose out on Batum, then go straight out and get Iggy. I like Batum, because he is younger, and will mesh with our team better. But Iggy is a much better player all around then Batum.

Although that is me having high hopes, I would settle for Lee, or Mayo as well.

We would have made the playoffs last year if it werent for injuries. So we really arent to far away now, Batum as a starter, B Roy off the bench with something to prove, and Budinger off the bench.

If we can somehow keep Williams and still pick up one of the tops wings, I will be more excited. I think Williams value is as low as it can be, and he does fill in for Love rather well. But I would much rather have Batum, or Iggy instead.