• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Low profile baitcast for musky

bigstick56

What are your guys' thoughts on a good quality low profiloe baitcast reel for large northern and musky. I do not like the feel of the big round ones (calcutta / Ambassadors). I will not be throwing super big baits., most like smaller buctails and topwater. Just want to hear some thoughts on what you guys think will work for me. Thanks

Curado 300. Works for muskie well, and can double duty for even bass. Awesome reel. Good luck.

I have both a Abu Revo Toro and a Curado 300. I love them both and they work great.

I just purchased a Tranx for my son as a gift. He hasn't had a chance to use it yet, but I'm sure he's going to love it.

Is the Curado big enough to handle a big Musky...? Just looking at the description, doesnt seem that much bigger than the bass size...If I were to get one dont want to be undersized...Thanks

Muskie reels aren't made to handle the fish, they are made to handle the bait.

I just picked up a Curado 300EJ. 6.9:1. It can burn anything you want it to burn.

I have quite a few Abu Garcias...a couple Ambassadeurs, a couple Cardinal spinning reels, and a Black Max low profile and they are all excellent reels. The Abu Garcia Revo series look like good reels, but I would also tell you that the Max series (Black Max, Silver Max, Pro Max) are decent reels in the lower price range. The Pro Max has a 7.1:1 retrieve ratio if you need to really burn your baits.

But...the Revo STX looks like a pretty sweet reel...it has both a magnetic brake and a centrifugal brake. No baitcaster is going to be "backlash proof", but this one might be as close as it gets.

Of course, the price tag is getting into some pretty lofty territory as well.

Burning small blades with a high gear ratio on a low profile reel is fairly simple but wont burn cowgirls or bigger... The Revo series is for bass the Revo Toro 50/60 series is made for muskie fishing as well as the soon to be released Toro Inshore, Curado 300 is also a good muskie reel but geared to high for all around use..... I run the Toro's, Curados and Calcuttas all are good reels and all have their designated bait duty's depending on bait choice.... Still need to add a reel to the stable for burning bucktails, so far leaning to the Tranx...

The upcoming Diawa Lexa inshore's look like a good competitor to the Curado 300 eJ.

"Back in the day" when the only line you could use was Mono and the old style braid you needed a large capacity reel to hold the line. With the new super braids you can get just as much line of equal lb test on a low profile real as you could get on a "round" reel with the old school line.

Just like with trolling. With the new lines you really don't need the large capacity reals like you did 15-20 years ago. Just get a wide spool low profile baitcaster and it can pull double duty.

can those things burn cowgirls?

Don't use them for burning 10s. They are great for anything with blades less than 10s.

I have a revo toro with the "good" gear ratio and absolutely love it. If I were to get another one though, i would likely get a 50 vs the 60 (reel size) because you can get more than enough line on it. The 60 isnt big by any means, but the 50 is a little narrower and it would work better for my sons.

Anyone ever used an Abu Garcia 7000i series reel? I'm looking for a lower geared reel than my 6500 for cranking in larger baits like bucktails and pounders. I've used a Low Profile Revo Toro Winch and a Calcutta, but those are a bit out of my price range. Any thoughts?

Anyone ever used an Abu Garcia 7000i series reel? I'm looking for a lower geared reel than my 6500 for cranking in larger baits like bucktails and pounders. I've used a Low Profile Revo Toro Winch and a Calcutta, but those are a bit out of my price range. Any thoughts?
that's definitely not a low profile reel. That would be more suitable for trolling due to its size but it could work.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a couple of Revo S reels and a Revo Toro. I wouldn't think of burning a musky lure with the S but the Toro works excellent.

Anyone ever used an Abu Garcia 7000i series reel?

It's my musky reel, got it at the 2009 Challunge and it's seen the water probably 10-15 times a year and still chucking mag dawgs, pulling double 10s, walking jackpots, and trolling big cranks.

There are reels that are better, and there are reels that are more ideal for the above situations, but it sure gets the job done and I have zero complaints (outside of sometimes wishing it had a higher gear ratio). I go to spinning gear if I'm burning smaller blades.

BTW it is NOT a low profile reel! It is bigger than my 6500 C3. However, I cast it 12 hours in a row and have no issues. 5'7'' and I don't have big hands, just the other day I was complaining that I'm not capable of "correctly" cupping a harmonica due to my hand size.

You can not go wrong with a Shimano 300. I also agree with Nick Kuhn, the new Diawa Lexa should be a great low profile reel as well!