• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just returned from fishing the west end (Norwegian Bay.)

Walleye: Turned most keeper walleye in 8-12 feet of water between 8-9:30 pm. ALL of our fish came on a gold spinner, crawler harness, back trolling-very slowly.

Pike: Tried suckers with little success. ALL of our pike came pitching large white beetle spinners.

Bluegill: Leech and bobber- usual spots. 8-10 ft.

Crappie: Not much luck. The few we caught came on the beetle spins when pitching for pike.

We did not fish for bass.

Enjoy and catch some fish!!

I am really suprised that you were able to use a crawler on the west end at any depth I fished the west end all last week and had sunfish even in 20 feet of water. All our eyes came out of 17 to 18 feet of water stayed at Life of Riely

Staying on the west end this week, my worst walleye showing in 11 years (zero). If I were after jumbo perch, I would be a superhero - finding them everywhere.

Tried lindy's on the mud flats, bobbers on the reefs and shallows.

Lots of uninterested bites that felt like walleye stuffed with mayflies.

No hooking into the slot walleye like in the past few years. Maybe need to fish later and earlier?

I got almost all of our eyes in an area that was no bigger then about 10 by 25 feet, talk about tough to stay on. Lots of rain and wind but on that was just over 25 inchs and lots of slot fish made it worth while but I agree I could not buy one outside the slot

Finally got walleye on the west end, keepers around 17", evening bobbers but down about 20' just off an 8 foot flat.

After our family's 15th year on the West End, the fish population continues to change.

Large Mouth seem to be easier to find and catch, also in areas where walleye used to be, not just weeds. The bass increase has to be a sign of something, although I have no idea what.

Hard to find walleye this year period, slot size or not. Could be poor fishing technique for sure, but it seemed a lot easier about 5 years ago.

Smallies are easy to find. Every fish was spitting up crawfish when we brought them in.

Jumbo perch could feed an army if you wanted to keep them.

Did not go for northern or muskie.

Uncle Boney,

I cannot understand why anyone would not want to fish for jumbo perch!

I think that they are better eating then walleyes and would go out of my way to catch them in there was a good population on the East end!

Are they wormy on the West end or what? East end jumbo run 10" to 14" in size and make a very nice fillet!

Cliff

Just a tradition thing in my family. Might have to do with the worms although I think they are harmless after cooking. I know we are missing out on some nice dinners by not keeping them. Any traditional walleye spots on the West End will hold them, perhaps a bit closer to shore. I caught a half dozen at a time at many spots.

Us vacationers still have a thing for walleye, no matter how hard they are to catch.

In the last day or so I have noticed a few boats pulling planer boards. One even had the mast to run them off insead of inline boards. I haven't noticed people on the west end fishing this way before.

Is this people who know something I don't? (like how to catch walleye).

Hey Del,

I saw the boat with the mast on Monday when I had a gig out of White eagle resort. It really isn't much different than using planner boards, just a little more work.

Most locals seem to shy away from trolling open water areas for Walleyes but it really isn't all that difficult once you learn the in's and out's of it. The Lake Vermilion Walleye classic has been won by trollers most of the years it has been in exsistence. I have had great success on the east end for years trolling the deep basins of Big bay and Fraser bay for Walleyes during the late summer months.

There is no reason that it won't work on the west end. I have had some very good days in Niles and Head of the Lakes pulling cranks and big spinners out in deep water. If there are baitfish suspended out there, you will find Walleyes out there feeding on them and typically they will be a much better quality of fish than you find fishing other presenations.

"Ace"

I guess I ought to dig out that planer board stashed somewhere in the boat. Or, since it is just me, flatline something. Can't put out much of a spread with one guy in the boat.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.