• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Anchor for on Mille Lacs

fishergurl

Water Spike has worked great for me on my 17' boat with full windshield. I use 7' chain by anchor and then rope. I let out 3-5' rope per foot of water depth. The best part is that water spike is not very heavy so saves your back.

I have a 28 lbs mushroom style anchor that work for my 1850 sportfish,attached to that I have the shok-absorber thing then 100 feet of anchor rope.

This system has worked great for me.

Sifty

I would highly recommend the Richter Anchor, it holds and won't let go! 18 # anchor will hold up to a 30' boat. Plus, you don't have to let out 100 ft of rope, it has a 1 to 1 ratio were most have a ten to 1. It works well even in a crowded area.

Quote:
I have the shok-absorber thing then 100 feet of anchor rope.

Please explain. I'm pretty interested in this. Does it help you hold with big waves?

I would highly recommend the Richter Anchor, it holds and won't let go! 18 # anchor will hold up to a 30' boat. Plus, you don't have to let out 100 ft of rope, it has a 1 to 1 ratio were most have a ten to 1. It works well even in a crowded area.

Agree! The richter anchor is by far the best anchor for Mille Lacs. We run the 25# with 3-4 feet of heavy duty chain. If you want to be on a spot bobbering or an anchor that holds in heavy wind and waves Richter is the only way to go IMO

Please explain. I'm pretty interested in this. Does it help you hold with big waves?

Google anchor bungee.

I made my own one day when anchored and bored on the lake. they work darn well!

Google anchor bungee.

I made my own one day when anchored and bored on the lake. they work darn well!

Yep thats it.

Sifty

I like the 28lb standard anchor. Only downfall, somtimes it takes a couple of try's to hold on gravel. Rocks or mud works flawlessly.

Both the 28lb navy and water spike are good anchor choices on Mille lacs with 18-21ft boats. both will hold just fine. Truth be told i give the nod to the water spike , it will saves my back on those days were you have to chuck anchor 15-20 times per day. The main reason for the move to water spike is I've hooked way to many 15- 20lb rocks with a 28lb navy...20 + 28 = 48 + chain = 50+ lbs, in 3-4 ft waves. You can drive past the water spike and slack it and pull it free. No release on the 28lb navy, once it's in, its in.

Yeah i have a 30# anchor too. It gets used as a 2nd anchor when i want to keep my boat positioned, and not move an inch. They both hold....But that 30# is way more work than needed! I should really get another spike this year.

Thanks for all the input. One more question, what is the purpose of a chain? Instead of tying the anchor to a rope?

another vote for the spike! i also carry a 30lb anchor. i also use a chain and enough rope for 3' of rope to every foot of water. if the spike cant hold u should be at home!

25# Richter anchor anchor for me also, 5' of rubber coated 3/8 chain, saves on the rust stains, I run a 21 foot pro V and never have a problem holding the boat, and it releases off the bottom very easily, even in the biggest boulders.

i used to have a warrior 1890 and just used a digger anchor with rope attached. it was great for hooking into the rocks. they just release when tugged from directly above.

Fishergurl, I believe the chain is so the rocking motion of the boat anchored in the rocks doesn't cut or fray your anchor rope.

Do any mpls metro retailers sell the anchor buddy? I checked fleet and gander with no luck.

The chain is so when the boat pulls it pulls the anchor down into the bottom because the chain is heavy. With a rope the pulling of the boat tends to pull the anchor rope up away from the bottom which tends to move the anchor across the bottom.

If you get a chain, make sure it's heavy and make sure it's reasonably long. I think a lot of folks have like 4 foot chains on their anchors, and to be honest I'm not sure that's long enough to do a lot of good. Everything I've read about it on marine sites say that you need 6 to 12 inches of chain PER FOOT of boat. So, if you have an 18 foot boat you want at least 9 feet of chain, and could actually get by with a bit more. This is especially important if you're using one of the digger-style anchors. Anyway, go long on the chain so that it actually works.

Also, there are different types of rope out there. I've heard that nylon is the best because it stretches better than some other fibers and offers some shock absorbtion qualities that will help your anchor from coming dislodged when you're in a wavy environment.