• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Madison is a very unique body of water and would be a great Musky lake as well with plenty of forage. I even sent an email to the DNR about Madison to be a candidate. I just like how in 2009 on 7/20 the dnr found 8.5 water clarity... You go out to french and its 1 foot water clarity.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smeese

• luckycrank

• Yooperguy

• hawkeye43

As opposed to the walleye anglers who come to town who certainly must buy their fuel, pop, and lunches in Waterville??? How is it that its assumed the musky anglers will spend all their $ before they get to Waterville lol?

just stating what the people of waterville have told me.

i used to work at the bait shop in town. let me tell you we made a fue more dollars off walleye fisherman compaired to musky guys. granted we didnt have a thorne bros. selection of lures.

I can't figure out why the dnr won't use lisence point of sale to poll for this vote instead of on the water creel surveys. I have been approached twice for it and ask of my position on the musky stocking debate . It

would appear to me it would be in accurate count vs. point of sale questionaire. what are the thoughts on this

Apples to apples Vermillion is no apple in referance to Tetonka or vice versa. acreage, water clarity , forage base , taken into account

Stocking muskies would not prevent me from fishing Tetonka any lake.

theres is pros and cons to it I supposed . but once its done theres no going back. as a none muskie fisherman or a gambler for that matter

Boy what would we do without all your nonbiased info there LuckyCrank? sick Here look at this, http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fisheries/report2001/report2001_reality.pdf

It compaires Tetonka and Vermilion and Tetonka can hold more pounds of fish per acre of water alittle more than 4 to 1. But why let science get in the way of good old Tavern Biology. wink

maybe the dnr should go door to door to french lake residents and ask for there take on muskies. stocking

Funny why is it then than the lake assoc. works with the local Muskies Inc group then? In fact had one of the more prominate members speak in favor of stocking Tetonka too. They were talking about how at first they were against it but now think it was the best thing that happened to the lake. I really doubt you ever fished muskies in your life or if you did you never cought one.

Hey Yooper,

Maybe he just doesn't want them in there. He can have his opinion too. What do you care anyway, it says you are from Michigan?

Tavern Biology eh? grin

Hey Yooper,

Maybe he just doesn't want them in there. He can have his opinion too. What do you care anyway, it says you are from Michigan?

Tavern Biology eh? grin

I have no problem with his opinion, if you don't want muskies fine. But I do have a problem with spreding misinformation. Like eating all the bass? Has anyone ever heard of a lake called Minnetonka? I've heard rumors that there are muskies in that lake and also has a world class Largemouth bass pop. Yes it say's I'm from Mich. The Upper Peninsuala, but I'm a transplant to Southern MN, I live in Lonsdale and have for the past 15 years. But once a Yopper always a Yooper. grin

So Vermilion is the same qaulity of water as Tetonka. 39000+ acreage a compared to Tetonka's 1300.

Vermilions 8lbs vs Tetonka 40lb ? So there not apples to apples.Just how exactly is this Scientific data compiled ? What was it based off of ? Is it an average of a like lakes, What ? some lakes look great on paper!

The only numbers I would ever deem accurate are the fish I count when they are brought over the side of the boat. And trust me there have been plenty of muskies! Tetonka with all of its staggering Numbers of game fish per acre why do we need to stock muskies ?? sounds plenty full to me at least the DNR says it is and I know the DNR would never contradict itself

Quote:
To stock additional fish into a “full” lake won’t

work because it creates overpopulation. There isn’t enough

habitat (food and shelter) for the new fish, so they either displace

existing fish or die off.

40 lbs per acre yes, Game fish, NO. Heck everyone knows alot of it is made up of Sheepshead and carp. Will they displace fish? Yes more than likely like on Frnch and Fox and it will be the sheepshead. If you notice as you walleye fish you catch sheepshead, well guess what? Those sheepshead are competitors to walleyes, causing them not to grow as fast becouse you get a whole group of fish in the same size class and they compeat for food that is thier size there just isn't enough to go around. Then you get slow grow rates and stunting.

Ya'll are wrong. The cormorants eat all the walleye, crappies and musky too. whistle

They pass on bass, I don't blame em. :p

Ya'll are wrong. The cormorants eat all the walleye, crappies and musky too. whistle

They pass on bass, I don't blame em. :P

Probally cause they are not smart enough to catch one!!!!! grin

since this thread is about walleyes anyway there are plenty to be caught in Tetonka as stated before lots of small fish and sheepies but nice ones too here are a couple from a couple weeks ago as statsed before they will stick together in year classes but that doesent mean they'll be too far away from the little ones

full-10270-21372-20120602_124634.jpgfull-10270-21373-20120603_122021.jpg

I can't figure out why the dnr won't use lisence point of sale to poll for this vote instead of on the water creel surveys. I have been approached twice for it and ask of my position on the musky stocking debate . It

would appear to me it would be in accurate count vs. point of sale questionaire. what are the thoughts on this

Good question as it pertains to the musky questions. A creel measures angling pressure, harvest, angler demographics, etc. etc. ...lots more data than angler opinion questions. There hasn't been a creel in the area for nearly 25 years so its good to have something to refer to. Anybody here old enough to remember getting creeled on the Cannon River in the early 90's? Or a handful of Rice county lakes in the 80's? Madison Lake in the late 70's?

On the water creel gets to the anglers that use the lake. Point of sale in the area (B&B, Axle's, Phil Mart, yadda yadda yadda) could catch anglers passing through to all points on the compass or to folks not fishing the lakes in the creel. Plus the point of sale questions get butchered by the sales clerks; many of them answer for the licensee or skip the questions. I worked in a bait shop when the ELS came out and on opening weekend our store manager told us to skip the questions as we had a line of people going out the door!

Madison is a very unique body of water and would be a great Musky lake as well with plenty of forage. I even sent an email to the DNR about Madison to be a candidate. I just like how in 2009 on 7/20 the dnr found 8.5 water clarity... You go out to french and its 1 foot water clarity.

+1

maybe the dnr should go door to door to french lake residents and ask for there take on muskies. stocking

Maybe you should mellow out, all that anger isn't good for a person, its actually unhealthy and can lead to heart attacks and stroke.

Be healthy..

who's angry? just stating my opinion. I have a passion for the lake and fishing it , its and amazing fishery and I don't see the need for muskies in it. Everything we do in life has pros and cons Nothing is one sided not evan muskie stocking ...except maybe my opinion on it!

What's the argument about here anyway. There's already muskies in it. I should've trolled a lure in my propwash the other day as one kept following my boat around the reefs.

You just sound mad through the hole thread, I appreciate your love for that lake, I have enjoyed it since I was a kid myself. I worry about the real threats to the lake and its fish, generally that isn't other or more fish. Its poison and water quality.

Just imagine if people cared about what was going in that lake to the same degree they fear Muskie fisherman.

Lets face it, no-one cares about muskies or what falsehoods people can talk themselves into buying sight unseen as a façade to mask their underlying fears and hatred, everyone knows its not a fish problem; its a people problem.

Lets just lose the window dressing and veneer and focus on the people.

I am on the board for Lake Tetonka Assoc. and the board is still not in favor of stocking as in the email I got today.

You just sound mad through the hole thread,

I think this statement says more about the interpreter than the writer he was referring to.

I am on the board for Lake Tetonka Assoc. and the board is still not in favor of stocking as in the email I got today.

Can you shoot me a Pm to when and were the assoc meets? I would like to get involved.....

Pertaining to the thread, Tried a bunch of my normal eye spots on tetonka lastnight and came up empty handed.

PM sent.

The wind that ripped the weed out Sunday, has alot to do with that. The green slim is here and it smell like it will keep a few fisherman off a lake

I am not trying to be smart...donkey here, but isn't Leech a great walleye lake and still has muskies in it?

My opinion is not to mess with nature just for the sake of messing with it. That goes for everything not just to muskie or not to muskie. If the Big Fisherman above wanted muskies in Madison or Tetonka he would have put them there. If they get there naturally then so be it. But why do we have to insist on thinking we know better i.e. Asian beetles?

A bit of supplemental stocking to counteract what has happened to natural spawning areas. But Tetonka is and always has been a natural walleye fishery. It has never been and never will be a natural muskie lake.