• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

That thing is a beast. Should be a great foundation for an awesome house. If the farmers almanac is correct, you'll even get to use it this year. smile

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lip_Ripper Guy

• BartmanMN

• SnowGuy73

• RiverChuckNorris

What are you using for the floor? I have 3/4" marine grade plywood down, but am toying with laying thick rubber or something on top of it. (for when I am wearing spikes on the boots).

What will the sleeping capacity of your house be? I'm not seeing a lot of beds in the plan. Or do you like the open fishing layout plan and then additional people sleep on cots. Just curious

There will be a 4' dinette across the back, with a 3' top bunk. Up in the front I'm either doing a 24" wide dinette, or a 24" bench. I haven't decided if there will be a top bunk yet. So there will be 3 individual beds for sure, and possibly a 4th.

For reference, the layout will be quite similar to the Yetti 'walleye-' built last year in the 'Lets see some pics of your wheel house' post, with bigger windows over the wheel wells, and a slightly bigger window in the back.

That video is awesome, watching this makes me want to start another one. We built one last year and put a 42" x 38" window in it. When we had the window facing south, the heater didn't even kick in, that's how much heat came in. We used 1/4" plexiglas for fear of it breaking while going down the road. I wired the house for a defroster but never had to use it. We too also put a 4' dinettte which is great, 5 people can eat with room for food on the table, and when the wife is along we can both sleep on the bunk. if I knew how to post the pictures on here I would. Let me know if you want them.

Me and a couple buddys are in the early stage of makeing a fish house. Your frame looks top notch. Can I ask you where you got this? We are a bit of odd ball group in that we want to design & fabricate our entire house from the ground up. We are having trouble locating the right torsion axel / hydraulic set up. This one looks to have it all....Some info on your frame would be very helpful.

Thanks

What have you been putting on the inside for the t&g? full 1" or the 5/16" carsiding stuff? Was curious if that is too flimsy. (will have blown insulation filling walls so that should help with strength)

Thanks

John

Me and a couple buddys are in the early stage of makeing a fish house. Your frame looks top notch. Can I ask you where you got this? We are a bit of odd ball group in that we want to design & fabricate our entire house from the ground up. We are having trouble locating the right torsion axel / hydraulic set up. This one looks to have it all....Some info on your frame would be very helpful.

Thanks

The frame is from Ice Assault, and they also sell just the hydraulic/torsion setup. If you decide to consider that route, PM me before committing for some important details.

What have you been putting on the inside for the t&g? full 1" or the 5/16" carsiding stuff? Was curious if that is too flimsy. (will have blown insulation filling walls so that should help with strength)

Thanks

John

5/16". If the framing and siding (and spray foam) is done right, you shouldn't need any more strength from your interior finishing products.

A trip to Canada delayed my picture posting and building. We made some really good progress last week before I left. Everything was framed up as of Saturday afternoon.

This was just before setting the roof on the walls.

B9139D64-853D-48B0-9189-ACFAC2268828-142

8662D68C-4C9F-4579-859C-4B8128E87021-142

I should have the flooring plywood down on Sunday, and then Monday the siding is getting sheared and bent for the corners.

Should be ready to start siding on Wednesday or Thursday, depending on when I get my diamond plate.

Gonna be a sweet house when finished! How much do you think the final weight is going to be?

Targeting 4500#.

I absolutely hate installing the flooring plywood, but got that out of the way on Sunday. I sure would love to find some good torx head self tappers. I went through about 20-25 #2 phillips bits. By far, my least favorite part of building fish houses.

C82881E3-1FF1-41A3-B132-A0BDC05303C0-648

Also did a partial install of the first three sheets of aluminum siding and the back window.

D6973AC5-9AE6-473F-BDF5-C11715C3A9A8-648

Last night I finished up the siding on the back end, and installed the remaining three windows.

CF12DAA1-8CFD-4766-BEF7-5839AAC6F1D0-648

The corners are all bent to fit nice and cleanly. It's a little trickier doing it this way compared to sticking it up and covering any mishaps with diamond plate trim.

Instead of phillips self tappers use hex head ones. I use them all the time and they work great. Harder to find than phillips head ones, but definitely better and wont strip as easy.

Nice work!!

We got a pretty good system down now, and got 6 more sheets put up last night. This thing is VERY orange. If anyone here on FM does graphic design/vinyl stickers, send me a PM....I am looking for someone.

0979D081-AC94-4B81-A8D1-0F7DAA94A749-338

01DB7415-EA3C-4592-8D1E-EE221ED9DD74-338

The rest of the siding should be wrapped up tonight except for the very tip of the V front.

Donbo (moderator in bow hunting and turkey hunting I beleive) does vinyl stuff, get a hold of him.........Love the look and the color of your ice house too!!!!

We got a pretty good system down now, and got 6 more sheets put up last night. This thing is VERY orange. If anyone here on FM does graphic design/vinyl stickers, send me a PM....I am looking for someone.

I was thinking that when you first posted the sheets on the pallet. You need a large Grey or Black stripe down the middle or something.

Oh, and my buddy owns Axiom Graphics. He works out of Michigan now, but assuming you don't need a full wrap and only some graphics, those could be shipped out. Anything you could dream of. It appears he has an installation shop in Hopkins as well. Look him up too.

I changed the framing a little bit from my original plan, so I ended up a sheet short on siding. OOPS! Both sides are done as far as I can get them.

1295325B-82A3-4992-83DC-8B69F6FFAB25-246

82544548-4DFC-45A1-9C6E-F16EF4442C3C-246

I'm done working on this until Wednesday. Wednesday & Thursday will be diamond plate and the roof, and then next weekend will be wiring. Everything has gone better than expected so far...hopefully that continues with the electrical!

Here are a couple interior shots:

19E2A9AD-997B-494D-8649-582D54B7224A-246

54F0A04F-72E2-485C-93A4-E4E1BB4A7F99-246

80C8E9D8-989F-4C90-AC20-3F422C8D6E4C-246

The metal studs are great. Not only are they perfectly straight, the siding goes up way faster than using wood studs.

What are you using to secure your siding? I don't see any rivets so I'm assuming a glue of some sort.

3M VHB...basically a 2 sided foam tape.

CV62F on the studs and corner seams

4936 on all other seams

I can tell you that the second the aluminum touches the CV62, it is bonded for life. There are no second chances with this stuff!

Any ideas where to buy this tape reasonably? I'm assuming you did plenty of research before you bought it and judging by the looks of your trailer you know what you're doing. PM me if you're not allowed to mention the place you got it. Thanks.

I bought a case (9 rolls), which is the cheapest option (per roll). It'll show up on auction sites from time to time by the roll. I may have some extra.

What was the reason for 2 different kinds? Just wanted something a little stronger for studs and corners and saved some money on the rest?