• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New aquatic invasive species decal

I went to the DMV today to pick up the new aquatic invasive species boat decal that is required to be attached to all watercraft. I was told by the clerk that this new decal is no longer required and the new law has been over turned. Great news in my opinion.

Boy, what a crock!

Wonder what this will do to the Tourist Trade that our legislators seemed to be so concerned about when they wanted to open the season one week early! mad

Cliff

I hear ya Cliff ,im starten to wonder after 35 years of trips to the big v, drive 500 miles one way to get there ,only can bring 4 walleyes home,now all the new regs, oh well the multispecies fishery,old friends, and the beauty of the country up there overides my feelings about all the regs,all i can do is abide like the sheep they make out of us and pay whats required of me.But i can understand youre concerns along with the resorters and restaruants ,basicaly the local economy of Cook and Tower,they are taking the simple joy of fishing out of reach and unapealing for the general public with this tripe ,me im just a glutton for punishment . I think they should think about all the future fisherman that are being turned off by this carp.Another thing i should point out ,we fisherman didnt introduce invasive species, those forign ships did,but they cant regulate them ,but they can sure make the innocent bystanders pay for their mess!

We'll be dragging a boat up with us to Vermilion this year rather than renting one. Will we need to become "certified"? The news article seems to imply that the rule goes into effect in 2015. Is there anything special we need to know or do for this June? I'd hate to be told we need to rent a boat when we get to Vermilion after dragging one 600+ miles up there.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might offer. This board is GREAT!

According to all of the articles (several) that I've read, you do not need to do anything regarding certification, until 2015. However, if you're bringing a boat to LV from another lake, please be SURE that it is clean, inside and out. We don't want any illegal aliens being transported in!! cool

I would hate to see Vermilion infested with Zebra Mussels. It sure went fast into Minnetonka and Mille Lacs. Since a Zebra Mussel larva is only the size of a period (.), you can't possibly prevent transporting them from Mille Lacs (or other infested lakes) without very strict measures. These things can stay in a live well or even in the water pump in your motor and you don't have a clue they are there. There are already two lakes in St. Louis county infested. I welcome any and every strict measures on boaters jumping from lake to lake to stop the spread into Vermilion

Every boater should know how to clean his(her) boat when going from one lake to another. But I'm sure those are those boaters that oblivious to rules. Just like ignorance is no excuse for not knowing the law but that usually only results in the person paying a penalty for not knowing the law.

In the case of invasive species, transferring them has a big effect on lots of people and to the environment-FOR EVER!

OK so to require to take a test has some merit. But to take THREE years to figure out how to do it or what questions to ask? Is the state of MN paying people for three years to write the questions? Is that how much goverment thinks or this problem?

What about out-of -staters coming to Vermilion?

Lots of questions for a very real problem.

StillFishin'

StillFishin,

All very good questions. Very few real answers out there that will really work!

I suspect that even if every boater in this country is required to take the test, very few will actually comprehend what it is about, and even fewer will learn a thing! I really believe that "NO ONE" will fail this so called test as long as they fork out the bucks to take the test!

I have taken many,many tests that were required by the feds or State of MN.while being a volunteer fireman and a first responder and have never once seen anyone in any of these classes fail!

Cliff

Cliff, I missed that you have to pay for the test also? If so another hidden tax!

StillFishin'

Cliff, I missed that you have to pay for the test also? If so another hidden tax!

StillFishin'

Only an assumption on my part! But we will have to pay in one way or another at any rate!

Cliff

According to the latest publication of "the vermilion sportsman", very low levels of calcium in a lake(very low meaning 10-20 parts per million)actually "may" inhibit zebra mussel reproduction. Lake Vermilion calcium levels measured 6.9 PPM in the west end and 12.9 PPM in the east end. This, of course, doesn't mean that Lake Vermilion is immune to zebra mussels but it certainly is encouraging to know that our lake is way less than ideal habitat grin

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

I had heard something about that. Thanks for posting that mark.

The article specifically deals with calcium sampling. Lake Vermilion had no historical data for calcium since calcium is not a normal component of lake sampling. The article made no mention of PH levels although the article suggests that perhaps the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency may have access to that kind of information. The article went on to explain that zebra mussels may still be able to "survive" in Lake Vermilion's waters but have limited reproduction success. Therefore, continued measures preventing zebra mussel introduction into Lake Vermilion will have the multiple effect of minimizing other invasive species from threatening Lake Vermilion and other uninfected Minnesota lakes.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Thanks Mark, I have read other places that low PH levels limit the growth of Zebra Mussels, and, if combined with our low calcium levels, we may not the problems that other lakes will experience. I'll try to find out the PH levels as I'm fairly confident this is a normal part of the chemistry test. In fact, I can test for it myself, I might bring up my test kit from St. Paul and find out what it is here in Niles Bay.