• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mounting a skimmer transducer on trolling motor?

Xplorer

Question

I am looking at taking my older eagle unit and using it up front on my trolling motor. Has anyone else hooked up the skimmer transducer directly to their bowmount? I think i can mount it fairly easily using the existing bracket and a pipe clamp. I really dont want to spend the $'s on a puck 'ducer cause the unit is 6 years old and from experience, will probably go within a year or 2.
I know there is the interference issue with two 200 mhz ducers, but i would only run one at a time in most cases (bowmount/console).
The unit isnt worth trying to sell it and I would like a graph up front for lindy rigging.
Thanks for any guidance/suggestions.
Xplorer

14 answers to this question

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

You can by a bracket that will mount on your trolling motor. The bracket will hold your skimmer transducer.Check out places like Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops. Otherwise you might be able to purchase one at a local sporting goods store.

not a problem using a pipe clamp. the biggest draw back is that some times it will get pushed back ( the angle) when you bump something, so you have to keep checking once in a while.i did my eagle that way and will do my new lorance this way too. del

Delmuts and Icehawk are both right on. You should get the bracket Lei makes one and it is like $6 bucks for everything. Then just snug down the skimmer good and keep an eye on it every now and then to make sure the angle is still correct. I run my front skimmer this way and it works well.

The main purpose of the front-mounted depth finder is to know how shallow you are when working shoreline structure so you don't smash your trolling motor or boat into something. It's obvious the only thing a graph or flasher will show you is what's directly below your bow.

A graph is too slow (to warn you in time) to prevent these accidents.

A flasher will show you "real-time" how deep you are so you can control your depth.

If you're fishing deeper water and working a cabbage line, etc. a flasher will work better for this job too.

------------------
Chells

Cool,

I think I have the Transducer and the Clamp if you want it for free grin.gif

I'll ship it to you if you're interested...

------------------
Chells

Thanks guys, i figured many had done the same. Will check out the LEI mount.
Chells, this unit will not be used hardly at all for shallow shoreline use.
I do alot of deep water (25-45')rigging up on Rainy, Kab and Namakan in july, aug and sept and am most comfortable up front running the bowmount. By having a ducer up front i'll be able to see whats below me about 17' quicker than with the 'ducer on the transom.
A flasher is real time, but i like to see the structure i'm on and for me a visual history of what I'm fishing is better (plus sometimes i'm concentrating on the bottom hugging walleyes so hard that i forget easily smile.gif )
I had considered putting the fl-8 up there, but this suits me better.
Xplorer

[This message has been edited by Xplorer (edited 03-12-2003).]

If it is that small black transducer that is common on most of the units in the last 5 years or so, a pipe clamp is all you need. Slip the clamp through the metal mount on the ducer and tighten. Takes 1 minute and about $1.

I'm getting rid of my Lowrance on the front and putting the FL-8 up there. They work SOOOO much better there is no comparison!

I have to find a ducer for for the FL-8 for the trolling motor now.....

Chells, I agree with you on a lot of things, but I have to disagree on the front lcd being too slow. I do like your idea of a flasher on the front and think it would be a great way to go, but todays Lei graphs very close to real time(fastrack mode, chart speed 100%). To test this you can take a 1/32 split shot, attach it to the end of your line and drop it over the side in the cone. It will of course show as a solid line. Try moving it up and down and watch the line. I think you will be impressed with the level of sensativity and response time on the graph. You can even verticle jig with these and watch yourself jig.

First reply to CD--No, it's not for an FL8, it for an old Eagle Graph, sorry.

Bigeye--I understand what you're talking about with the new graphs, they are faster and more sensitive, however, Explorer has an old graph (5-6 yrs. old)which is slower simply due its age. That's why I piped-in about real-time vs graph time.

Explorer likes his graph for his way of fishing and that's great. My experience with the Eagle products is that I will not use them due to quality issues, lack of sensativity and customer service, but mostly that I learned by experience that a flasher is best for my style of fishing.

I have an LMS350 w/GPS in my boat and it never is used in sonar mode, only GPS and I fish with FL8's (rear and front) to locate structure, determine bottom content, weeds and especially fish and fish holding structure. I run the GPS in plotter mode so I can stay on that structure as long (as I am catching fish on it), lock it into memory and come back again some time.

------------------
Chells

Chells,
If you have the rounded plastic mount piece /clamp I would be interested in it!
Yup, different strokes for different folks. This unit is an older Ultra, so its kinda like an Apple computer compared to todays new units. But rather than shelf it I fugured i could get its last days use out of it. Maybe I've been lucky (knock on wood) but this one has been trouble free, and once i took the time to really learn how to use all the features (bottom zoom, sens, greyline) it has managed to help put a couple thousand walleyes in my boat (and most back in the lake/river) the last few years. I do alot of family fishing, and I envision a flasher would require alot more attention than I am usually able to give it. And this year I will have a one year old in the boat so things will be even crazier.
One question, why would an older unit be slower than a new one with comparable 200mhz ducers? I always run the scroll speed at max, and when tuned in properly, can watch my 3/4oz lindy sinker in 30+' of water when rigging. I just find myself cranking my head around to see the console all the time from up front, and this way my wife can watch a graph also.
Thanks for all the help on this one. Someday I will have to make the time to learn to use the FL-8 in openwater as it can be, I know I sure wont leave home without it for ice fishing.
Xplorer

Don't feel bad about using your older LCG and there is nothing wrong with Eagle products. I'm still using my Eagle Z9000 that I bought in 1990. It was one of the best available at the time. I would like to get a new one but can't really justify it until this one bites the dust. With my son going to get more involved in ice fishing, I'm going to have to pop for another flasher anyways. Other than a low pixel count it has most of the features of the current Lowrance/Eagle line and one feature that these newer ones don't have.

[This message has been edited by Hookmaster (edited 03-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Hookmaster (edited 03-14-2003).]

Xplorer, send me your address via email and I'll be happy to send you what I have.

The clamp went around a Kota 72lb bow mount FYI, but if it doesn't fit your motor housing, they're cheap anyway.

[email protected]

------------------
Chells

Chells,
Thanks for the offer, you've got mail smile.gif
Good luck this year, and lets get that ice a meltin'!!
Xplorer