• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

strikemaster augers

opsirc

Question

I recently purchased a new lazer xl300 auger (it is brand new off the shelf). I have a problem with it fouling out the plug. has anyone else who has one had any problems like this with theirs? Hate to return it as it was the last on the shelf.

18 answers to this question

Welcome the site.

You shouldn't need to return the auger. Either you've mixed too much oil in the gas (24 or 25:1 is standard, 32:1 allowed with NMMA rated oil) or your mixture screws may be set too rich. It's also possible your plug is gapped too narrow, but that's not as likely to be the cause. My XL3000 was bought used, so I didn't have that problem.

There are guys here who know how to set/tune those screws (I've never had to do it), and I'm sure they'll chime in.

If they don't, just log onto Strikemaster's Web site, find the nearest Tecumseh engine service center, and call them to find out how to set the screws. It sure would be simpler if the owner's manual covered that, but mine just says "contact your nearest authorized Tecumseh service center" for half the stuff I want to do.

If the guys here can't help you and you have to take it to a service center, it should be covered under warranty.

You also should post another query on the Equipment/Expert Information board on this site, where most of the motor heads hang out. grin.gif And if you use a title more like "Strikemaster fouling the plug" title, that'll get the mechanic people's attention more than your more general title.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-23-2003).]

I also have had many problems with an
XL3000 (NEW). I was told by someone in the
know, that these units were "de-tuned"
at the factory, to pass some kind of
emissions requirement. I had it fixed
(carb setting adjustment) and still
have had problems with it on occasion. I
think it is a Ford in disguise!!! Hope you
have better luck..................

would this be the same engine as on my new eskimo barracuda 3 h.p. tecumseh? i just havn't had much luck gettib g the cold bloodedness out of it, i am getting closer. i did notice that the darned thing doesn't even have an air cleaner on it!!! i saw one in a magazine ad that clearly shows a air cleaner on it. are they just trying to cut corners? or what. what about warrenty when she sucks some snow in???

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jigglestick!!....jigglestick....

If it's still new and you have the reciept I'd return it for a new one, and if the new one doesn't run right I'd have strikemaster take a look at it. It sounds like thier service dept really cares about it's customers and would want to rectify any problems to avoid any bad PR-especailly for a user of such a popular website wink.gif. Unless the fuel mix was wrong, you paid for a new auger in top running condition and it should be up to them to supply it. I bought an XL3000 at fleet in Bemidji about 5 yrs ago and it didn't run right so I returned for another one that has been running great ever since. I tinkered w/ it some but now am glad to have it and feel I've made a good purchase. Good Luck
redhooks

My XL3000 has always been difficult to keep running when cold . I will try the leaner oil mix and see if there is a difference. I just bought the ultra 9" with that 2 horse power head and that baby really runs nice. Out runs that 3hp bigtime. Good Luck

i just bought the lazer mag ultra and oh wow what a machine went to red yesterday no ext. and punched right through super quick and its not cold blooded. oh wow i am impressed.

I bought a new 3hp lazer mag last year too.
I had nothing but trouble with it,wouldn't start well,wouldn't rev up among other things. I returned it for service, used it again with the same results! I returned it again, saw 5 other new 3hp laying on the repair shop floor, got a refund and bought an Eskimo 2hp. End of problems!!
Cliff

Well, all this trouble with the 3 hp Tecumsehs makes me wonder if they've changed something lately. My XL3000 is about six/seven years old, and starts right up no matter how cold on full choke and as long as I can hear tham I'm moving gas through the line when I push the primer bulb.

Fires on first or second pull when I do those things. Generally have to push the primer bulb a time or two to keep it running in the first 5 seconds or so, then it idles and cuts great. I always knock the choke back to half way after about 20 seconds, let it warm up another full minute, then start drilling, and it's been excellent.

But the origianal questioner said his unit was the last one on the shelf. To avoid the hassle of trying to get the store to switch your out with an auger they don't have, call Strikemaster. Their customer service is legendary. They'll certainly direct you to a service place and the adjustments will be on warranty, or they'll replace the powerhead.

Yes, we pay a lot of money for our ice fishing toys and expect them to work right the first time. When they don't the manufacturer better make it right, and Strikemaster is great at that.

Good luck.

i don't know, but i think the emmisions thing is the culprit. it seems like if i could just pick out another carb and bolt it on, it would solve all the problems. maybe i'm just spoiled. my old two horse tecemsuh(the semi retired jiggle auger) ran and still runs like a top. thousands of holes not a problem. original plug too!!

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jigglestick!!....jigglestick....

A friend of mine bought the same auger this year and had the same problem. He returned the first one and the second one ran marginally better. After watching him struggle with it for a half hour trying to drill holes I adjusted the mixture screws and it has ran and idled great since---although it still is a bit cold-blooded. The screws are very easy to adjust with a small screwdriver after removing the small red plastic caps---just make sure you do it while its running and warmed up.

jeff

-------------------------------
so many lakes....so little time

[This message has been edited by jeff127 (edited 02-24-2003).]

I bought the XL 3000 last year and it never did run right. I had it in 3 different times to get it tweaked, never did help. It was very cold blooded and hard to keep running. I finally got disgusted enough and took it back to Cabelas. They traded me for the 2hp strikemaster xpress. This one works great no trouble at all.

Then I was right, its a FORDA!!!!!!!
(Finiky Over-Rated Dud Auger)
I want an auger like that chainsaw
motor style that whooped butt at the
first annal Ice-Cutting Contest..
I think it was a little over ten
seconds for a three hole cut. And that
was on 36inch ice!!!!!!The thing was
BADDDDD!!

My first power auger was the XL 3000. It ran good right out of the box. The only thing I ever did to it was to adjust the idle screw. As long as I primed it a couple of pumps and choked it, it would start first or second pull. Wouldn't stop until I hit the switch. I would encourage you to be a little patient, make some carb adjustments and I think it will work just fine for you. I cut holes with it for 5 1/2 years and never had to change plugs or mess with anything. Used a fuel stabilizer in the fuel all the time so I never had to worry about summer storage or carb gum up. I just made sure the tank was full when I hung it up for the summer.
There is something to be said for checking out another model though. I sold my XL3000 to my son to use on Lake of the Woods and, after much looking, purchased a Strikemaster Lazermag Xpress. (Here I am- on my soap box again! smile.gif). The first time I cut a hole with it I was totally satisfied with this auger. It's lighter, cuts smoother and just as fast, has plenty of power. Found it on sale recently (10 days ago) and got a really good deal on what turned out to be a great piece of gear.

seems tecumseh has made some changes to the engine this last year to meet federal standards. I am told by the manager at Gander Mtn that they have gone to fixed jets, no adjustments allowed. what a bad idea. solved the problem tho, took it back going to get something else. strikemaster needs to consider a different company to get its 3hp from in the future.

opsirc:

Check your other "strikemaster auger" thread on this board about all the manufacturers using the same motor.

Darn shame Tecumseh had to change the jets.

Any of you motorheds know how to overcome that problem?

They have had fixed jets for about the last 4 or 5 years. Only on of the screw is a ject I can't remeber which it is as mine is an old carb. I think it is the screw to the right as you are looking at the screws that are adjustible. The one to the left is the jet nozzle if I remeber correnctly. There were some models that had metal caps over them so that they couldn't be adjusted but after 1 or 2 years they did away with those and now that have little red limiter caps that only let you turn them so far before there is a stop that stops them. If you have one with metal caps you can take a screw driver and knock those metal pieces out of the way this voids warrent but any auger that has these probably has an expired warrenty anyhow. With the red limiter caps if you adjust it to the limit and it still is acting up pull the red caps off but don't damage them make your adjustments and put the cap back on. Note that doing either of these on your own will void the warrenty so if it under warrenty take it in and have certified people look at it. The easiest way to fix it that will allow my the most adjustment is to get an old carb that is adjustable. Now I know this is more expensive but it is the easiest solution most small engine shops can get one like that for you. Also I know that when I worked in a Small engine shop we took allot of the carbs off and put new ones on under warrenty. The motors are the exact same yet when I worked there we easily saw 3 strikemasters to every jiffy I am not sure why that was but it is the truth and that is why mine is a jiffy and I know that I won't buy anything else. I forgot to mention that if you take off the red caps put them back on because if anything more else happends and it still has warrenty service centers don't have to perform the work under warrenty and you will be charged so make sure to put them back on.

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 02-25-2003).]