• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lispeej

• Northlander

• MidCoast

• BD110

Well,

Looks like my crew chickened out! So, we wont be making it out tonight!!

Good luck to all and have lots of FUN!!!

From what I heard ya didnt miss much. I got reports of 2 gallons to almost 8. Man I hope the "run" isnt done already but Saturday seemed to be the best by far.

From what I heard ya didnt miss much. I got reports of 2 gallons to almost 8. Man I hope the "run" isnt done already but Saturday seemed to be the best by far.

So you didn't make it out too?

I wonder how "Midcoast" and his guys did?

From whati`m hearing is that the smelts have not hit the lester or knife yet. Was hearing by late this weekend or next week,depending on the water temps. Is this true? I wanna go so bad,I moved back here a few weeks ago from Hawaii and have not smelted since 1999 when I left Canada :-( If anyone hears when they are running,I sure would appreciate a heads up...anxiously waiting for those snackers...Dave. PS..gonna use a long pole net,or,I would gladly help someone work a siene net,let me know. 218-733-7138 thanks!

I would say that a few smelt are running the in the rivers. Dipped on Tuesday night for about an hour and ended up with 50. Certainly nothing great by seiner's standards but enough for a small family to have their annual smelt fry.

Last night was bad at the Point. We took in 2 or 3 gallons from 9pm to 1am. maybe the weekend will bring better luck.

Are you dipping or seining? We used to use a 4x4 smelt net with a 3x3 minnow net sewn in the middle years back and dip off small bridges of creeks flowing into the rivers back in Ontario.I just wanna get out and get a nice feed while they are runnin.Should i get waders and use my pole net?,or? Thanks for your input guys,appreciate it.Lester river I was told is good when they run.Would like to meet some of you there and see how you Minnesotans do it.Thanks again. smile

So you didn't make it out too?

I wonder how "Midcoast" and his guys did?

I decided not to drive up last night. I was going to wait for reports today and see how everybody else did. It looks like we are at the end of the Smelt run in my opinion. I most likely could be wrong, but until I hear of some better reports, I will not be heading up to Duluth anymore this season.

There has been a lot of different stories I've heard. Some guys have gotten quite a bit since last week. It has certainly been a weird smelt season. The Ashland folks have been said to be a bit confused and I'm sure dissappointed. Wisconsin point was very,very productive last week, but slowed down during the weekend. Park point has been steady or a hit or miss, but this past saturday seemed to be the best by far, until the waves started to pick up. My guess is that this week/weekend will remain steady. But, you never know. I have not heard much on the lester and north shore streams.... Depending on the weather, I'll probably get out fri or saturday. I'll be bringing my seine and dip nets incase one is better than the other.

That's how fishig is.

The rivers/streams just arent getting any runs to speak of the past few years. Im sad to say I think the run on Wi. and Park Points may be post peak and may be dwindling down to the end. If we dont get them good this weekend Im done for the season.

Are you dipping or seining? We used to use a 4x4 smelt net with a 3x3 minnow net sewn in the middle years back and dip off small bridges of creeks flowing into the rivers back in Ontario.I just wanna get out and get a nice feed while they are runnin.Should i get waders and use my pole net?,or? Thanks for your input guys,appreciate it.Lester river I was told is good when they run.Would like to meet some of you there and see how you Minnesotans do it.Thanks again. smile

If you are seineing, you might as well max it out and go 25'.

I want to go up tonight to Duluth and seign for some Smelt. How are the waves looking like tonight? I surely don't want to get too wet because that water is freezing ice cold.

For those individuals with experience, is this weather forecast pretty bad to Smelt in???

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Northeast wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

If its stays true it will be a chilly wet pull. Im waiting til Friday, Sat, Sun nights.

Last night the winds called for 16 knts. It felt more like 6-8 knts. The weather was nice, excepth the smelts werent there.

lispeej, there were hardly any waves last night, except for one that came out of no where and went down my waders. We only netted about 20 smelt and pulled to midnight. We were between the brigde and airport. I have a couple of guys going to try it again tomorrow night. Good luck if you make up.

There were no waves lastnight so pulling in the net was no problem, just checked out the point beach and the waves are rough tonight, white caps rolling in one after another I would not advise going in tonight unless you want to onle get in the water a few feet from shore. Pulled in about ten gallons lastnight never had a big pull all night. Biggest was about 25 and it wasnt consistent, we would get 20 in one pull to 5 in the next. Lots of guys left early lastnight. If you guys go out tonight be safe.

I would say the run would be over after this weekend but it has been a goofy year.

I Smelted by the bridge at Park Point and got no Smelt at all. I was there until 11 pm. I talked to a whole bunch of other Smelters and they told me the run was pretty much over. This Spring I heard the ice melted 3 weeks earlier then usual, which would make sense that the run would be over by now.

Until next season.........................

I was thinking of hitting park point tonight but now it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I think it's pretty much over. Change of plan now.

DuluthGuy and myself made it out to the Tot Lot on Wednesday night and we were able to get about 3 gallons or so before things slowed down around 11:15pm. I worked last night (Thursday) so we were not able head down.

It's my plan to give it one more shot this evening. Hopefully the winds will die down a bit if they are going to stay NE all day. If we have some luck this evening I may try again on Saturday or I may just wrap it up for the season.

I think maybe tonight is going to be my last night smelting! I want to give it another shot before it's too late.

I was thinking of hitting park point tonight but now it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I think it's pretty much over. Change of plan now.

I agree, looks like it is pretty much done with. People are getting less and less each time and really have to work for just a few Smelts. I have talked to some relatives and friends who went out recently and they just got mostly Males. So yes, I think it is pretty much done for this season.

There are white caps rolling in on the shoreline right now we are going to sit and wait until 9ish-ten tonight to see if the waves calm down a bit. Good luck out there tonight everyone.

We just drove the shore into town...whitecaps from the east, looks like it would make for a tough nite pulling:)

You guys have fun and be safe. Something came up. So I wont be making the trip up tonight.

Good luck to all....

Please report your results later.

Thanks.

Leaving the park right now waves sucked big time, every one left wet and cold. Only got enough tonight for a small meal, it was not worth it. Lots of folks left early and some just started to show up. It was hard pulling in the net tonight with the waves.

Gents, we pulled and picked up 8 to 9 gallons tonight. There were some groups with more than that. We would have gotten more, but we started at the Lester with basically no luck. We did shorter pulls and had to stay close to shore. I felt last Thursday and Friday night last week were tougher. I hope the weather change doesnt effect the run to much, but we all know differently... Good luck.

I'm planning on coming up tonight. How does it look guys? Is it doable? The weather looks warmer, but not sure if the waves will cooperate. It can't be over already?