• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So with all this warm weather what time you guys think the smelt will be running? Theoretically, they should be earlier, right? Anyone been down to check?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lispeej

• Northlander

• MidCoast

• BD110

Water temps pretty much is what trigger the runs. If the water warms up quicker than normal it will probably trigger an earlier run.

Does not mean they're running yet but one of the coho I caught this week on the North Shore puked one up that it had eaten.

what area did you get a coho at? In the lake or in the streams.

As for smelt I would have to say at least another month.

Since smelt are a vital part of the cold water fishery of Lake Superior I think all smelters should be required to have a stamp of some sort. Smelt are cold water fish and even have an adipose fin, while they are not trout or a salmon they are a vital part of the food web that supports our trout and salmon fishery. As such I believe that a "trout stamp" should be required to take them. Smelt are a tremendous deal and nearly free when you consider that you can harvest so many if you are in the right place at the right time. They are a vital source of food for all of the fish of our lake and would generate a good amount of revenue if they were subject to some sort of stamp above and beyond the regular fishing license. Even a five dollar stamp would help a cash strapped DNR. Or how about this, the 1% actually pay a fair share for the life that they enjoy in this country? That might help as well.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
Since smelt are a vital part of the cold water fishery of Lake Superior I think all smelters should be required to have a stamp of some sort. Smelt are cold water fish and even have an adipose fin, while they are not trout or a salmon they are a vital part of the food web that supports our trout and salmon fishery. As such I believe that a "trout stamp" should be required to take them. Smelt are a tremendous deal and nearly free when you consider that you can harvest so many if you are in the right place at the right time. They are a vital source of food for all of the fish of our lake and would generate a good amount of revenue if they were subject to some sort of stamp above and beyond the regular fishing license. Even a five dollar stamp would help a cash strapped DNR. Or how about this, the 1% actually pay a fair share for the life that they enjoy in this country? That might help as well.
Lol. Welcome a board. You must not have talked to anyone in the DNR about Smelt! They don't want them here and they don't manage them. Why should we just hand them money over for something they don't care about? whistle

I would not pay for a smelt.stamp. they are not.good.for.the lake. They have wrecked havoc on the cisco and whitefish pop and do a.real number.eating.laketrout eggs.

I think the dnr should pay us smelters for keeping the numbers down...lol.
Or just leave it the way it is.

I'm trying to resist the idea of checking on things this weekend just because it's so early. Does anyone have any updated indicators that would steer me in one direction or another. If I do go on the search I'm wondering if anyone is willing to grab the other end of my Christiansen seine? It's going to be any one's guess with the weather we have been having this season.

DNR report. Pretty cold out there still

Update 03/19/2012:

The rivers have started flowing but there is a lot of ice still remaining. Water temperatures are in the low 30s. The Knife and French River traps are still closed and our creel clerks have not started yet, but with the warm weather stream conditions may change quickly. Anglers are primarily fishing near the river mouths for Kamloops.

If I do go on the search I'm wondering if anyone is willing to grab the other end of my Christiansen seine?

I'd be willing to give you a hand on an experimental run.

Live,

Other than the cico and whitefish concerns, what you describe sounds like a good thing!

FWIW, I can't see how the Coho are any different than the smelt, close to the same size, tasty, adipose fin, exotic or invasive species, probable negative impact on native species. What is the substantive difference?

Is someone able to post pics of how they have their seine net poles rigged to the net? I'm upgrading nets this year and would like to see what other folks are doing. I'm getting a christiansen seine with the bag/sock.

Live,

Other than the cico and whitefish concerns, what you describe sounds like a good thing!

FWIW, I can't see how the Coho are any different than the smelt, close to the same size, tasty, adipose fin, exotic or invasive species, probable negative impact on native species. What is the substantive difference?

One is a sportfish, the other is edible bait...to point out the obvious.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

lispeej, The skies the limit.

1 1/4" & 1 /1/2" pvc.

1 3/8th wood closet rod.

poplar poles. smile

I like 3/4" steel conduit. Why? Because when pulling a pole you don't waste mussel strength in your forearms by gripping a larger dia pole.

BD110 made a sling for his seine that goes over your shoulder and around the waist.

Is someone able to post pics of how they have their seine net poles rigged to the net? I'm upgrading nets this year and would like to see what other folks are doing. I'm getting a christiansen seine with the bag/sock.

When I'm able to get someone to either hold the seine or take the photo they will be posted for you to see.

DNR report. Pretty cold out there still

Update 03/19/2012:

The rivers have started flowing but there is a lot of ice still remaining. Water temperatures are in the low 30s. The Knife and French River traps are still closed and our creel clerks have not started yet, but with the warm weather stream conditions may change quickly. Anglers are primarily fishing near the river mouths for Kamloops.

Thanks for the report... That may hold me off for at least one night grin

It does seem you have a knack for stating the obvious, but the coho are often the size of bait themselves. Oh come on, haven't you got an extra five bucks to support a better Lake Superior fishery, that is the point.

Signed,

Another victim of the 1%

I'm not really sure what your point is, but I dont think Coho and smelt are the same size?

I would say the avg cohos are anywhere from 14"-18"

A BIG smelt is 12"

Apples and Oranges

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

HandOffmysmelt, where is your friend ShinerMuncher. "Keep your eyes off my minnow bucket".

I eat 75 smelt in one sitting.

So I received my new 25' christiansen net with sock today, and for some reason,,,I am not very impressed with the quality of workmanship and material. My only concern is that if I don't do this, it seems like it will fall apart after a few uses.

Question:

Are you guys reinforcing the top and bottom of the net with zip ties/strings to make it seem more sturdy?

Gooty,

Have you ever caught a smelt? I have caught quite a few now and I think that pound for pound they pull at least as hard as a walleye of the same size. In my book, that qualifies them, at least, as a food fish.

You are right about the smelt and coho though at least as far as size is concerned.

Once again the point was "Would you be willing to shell out an extra five bucks for better fishing on Superior?"

You know how many people come up here only for the smelt and don't give a dump about anything else to with Lake Superior? I don't, but I bet it is a fair number. And this doesn't seem fair to me as an avid fisherman of the lake.

All right Surface Tension,

Smelt are good and they are a bargain.

Although, I would say, you might want to check your meniscus if you are eating 75 fried smelt at a time. A little lipitor could go a long way for u. The evidence for a relationship between the amount of fried fish you eat and your risk of stroke is growing.Check out the link from the REGARDS study

http://www.regardsstudy.org/newsletters

Question:

Are you guys reinforcing the top and bottom of the net with zip ties/strings to make it seem more sturdy?

I have never done a thing to the top or bottom of my seine and I've had no trouble at all. Not seeing yours I don't know what else to say. As far as the sides go it's a matter of choice if you want to secure it just at the top and bottom and have open ends. I have my seine tied all the way down the side top to bottom. I'll try to post the pics I took just need to get them off of my phone.

Holes are drilled through the PVC to attach the top and bottom of the seine. The extra green line was wrapped around the polls and taped.

full-3349-18920-securedownload1.jpg

I was able to get line from the company and fasten the seine down the whole side.

full-3349-18921-securedownload2.jpg

1in PVC inside of 1 1/4in PVC

full-3349-18922-securedownload3.jpg

Drill holes in the bottom caps so they will drain

full-3349-18923-securedownload4.jpg

The polls are just over 6ft long.

full-3349-18925-securedownload5.jpg