• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Invasive Species Decal

Can someone explain the Invasive Species Decal that is supposed to be on boats used in MN. Haven't heard about it till I happen to come across it in the regs. Just says all boats on MN waters is required to have one. Thanks.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• LMITOUT

• DTro

• jwmiller33

It's a magical sticker that wards off all invasive species. Rumor has it, it will have a unicorn on it.

In all actuality, it's basically a sticker that implies that you read and understand the regulations regarding invasive species, so if they catch you, you can't claim ignorance.

The state legislature is looking into having all boat owners take a knowledge test before they can recieve thier AIS rules decal. It is still in process as far as what rule changes will be made this session so I have been told.

From what was passed last year, they do not have to be on ones boat until 2014. After that, a fine will be given to you. They were suppose to be ready for this spring and I believe the date they wanted them on ones boat was about the 1st of June of this year.

At this time, they do not have any of the AIS rules decals yet as the rules have all not be set yet to date. Have to wait and see what the legislature changes for this session before the DNR can design and print the decals.

I e-maioled my state rep and asked where he stood on this and he said he was not really for the added expense to this program.

E-mail your reps and this can be changed or stopped if enough support is there for voting against this new bill.

I asked the person at the DNR if they were going to require thye tourists from other states to place the AIS declas on thier boats and she thought not as they did not want to chase the tourism away with added regs.

I explained to my state rep that with the birds that carry this from lake to lake and if they decide to let out state boaters to not have to do the same as the residents, why bother as they would never have a shot at stopping the spread of this.

Then to require the non res tourism to take a test to get the AIS decals, that could really hurt the resorts and any other business involved with the fishing industry or for that matter, any businnes that supports tourism.

I wish the state reps would reconsider this whole bill as it may slow the spread but it will never stop the AIS issues. If one looks at the totasl cost for the trucks top wash boats at landing and enforcement, it's alot of funds that5 will fall back onto the fisherman and in the end, very little if any gain will happen.

That's what the rep at the DNR explained to me Russ.

I could not believe she was saying this but she was very serious.

Will this pass and get included in the DNR bill I have no idea but I am hoping not. Enough is enough.

Guess it depends on who you talk to. I spoke with the C.O. At the Duluth Boat show who told me that at that time 4000 stickers had been printed and they were out the door the first day, They were having problems with the printing vendor and had gone with another vendor who has been contracted to print 400,00 of the stickers. The stickers will be available to be picked up where you buy your fishing license and will also be available at local bait shops in the near future. Stickers do not need to be on your water craft till 2014

Take a test? Really? Look at how many boaters dont have a clue what their doing because there wasnt even a test to take to be able to drive their boat. Crazy!

i already have the decal. they passed them out at the last boat show. as for this proposed test, i let my rep know what a stupid idea that is and any rep that supports it doesn't belong in the leglislature. good luck.

Guess it depends on who you talk to. I spoke with the C.O. At the Duluth Boat show who told me that at that time 4000 stickers had been printed and they were out the door the first day, They were having problems with the printing vendor and had gone with another vendor who has been contracted to print 400,00 of the stickers. The stickers will be available to be picked up where you buy your fishing license and will also be available at local bait shops in the near future. Stickers do not need to be on your water craft till 2014

You are correct. They did print up stickers and they gave those away to the vendors who came to the meeting on how to handle these. This is what I was told by a county rep at the Sibley County court house a week or so ago. Some others did also get handed out.

She then also said the state legislature is now working on the program and trying to change how this program will be implemented. The rep at the DNR explained to me that if they change how this program will work, then new declas may have to be printed up.

When I talked to the DNR, she said we have not one decal but we can place you on a waiting list.

It's a magical sticker that wards off all invasive species. Rumor has it, it will have a unicorn on it.

Okay, c'mon guys, that was funny!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

So what was the sticker the little DNR girl put on my trailer last year up by Nisswa after she asked me about 5 Q's on Invasive Species when I came out of the lake? confused

How many more tests and stickers do I need for Pete's sake. If they are going to do this just start an on-line test now and mail them out. I just hope they don't pull this out of their ar'ss a week before Opener and screw everyone up! shocked

Leech, no worries about the opener. This law as it sits now, one does not have to have one on thier boat until 2014. There will be no fine until after that date for non compliance.

With that said, this could all change as they are now working on this law in this session again.

For all who are concerned about taking a test or certification for the AIS decal, e-mail or call your state reps as it is now on the table.

I have no idea what else in regards to the AIS program they are working on or changing but a call or e-mail to let your reps know how you feel surely cannot hurt.

In regards to the sticker they put on your boat, I have had those stickers on my boats for the past 3-4 years. Something to do with weeds. On Mille Lacs they seem to always have a summer person at one landing on the west side of the lake at least when I was there checking boats and giving out these decals if you did not have one already.

the sticker i have is grey in color. it states what you must do in regards to invasive species in the majority of the sticker and on the bottom it says to cut that portion off [that says CHECK THE DRAIN PLUG! and Please wear your life jacket] and stick that portion on trailer near winch. also above that portion that you cut off it says "this decal is only a summary of the laws as of August 2011. it is required to be attached to all watercraft in Minnesota prior to launching or operating on water of the state".

now this was handed out at the boat show here in the cities this year. so i dont know if new stickers are on the way or these are the ones required at this time. i'm going to check on this. dont like stickers on my boat that i dont need. the check the drain plug reminder might be good though grin. good luck.

I will not be putting any useless stickers on my boat.

Another law that is a waste of time and energy.

How is a sticker going to do anything?

So if I fail the test am I banned from using the public waters of MN?

We need to embrace our AIS Overlords.

The DNR has completely missed the boat on AIS enforcement.

Too little too late.

ya, that's what i think also. my son in law was down at the last boat show and he picked up two of them. he stores his boat here. good luck.

the sticker i have is grey in color. it states what you must do in regards to invasive species in the majority of the sticker and on the bottom it says to cut that portion off [that says CHECK THE DRAIN PLUG! and Please wear your life jacket] and stick that portion on trailer near winch. also above that portion that you cut off it says "this decal is only a summary of the laws as of August 2011. it is required to be attached to all watercraft in Minnesota prior to launching or operating on water of the state".

now this was handed out at the boat show here in the cities this year. so i dont know if new stickers are on the way or these are the ones required at this time. i'm going to check on this. dont like stickers on my boat that i dont need. the check the drain plug reminder might be good though grin. good luck.

Here is a good one in regards to this AIS decal grey in color for the boat and or trailer.

A friend of mine was at our local court house and he picked up a bunch of these decals for friends.

He gave me one and it said to place the lower portion on the trailer near the winch which I did. Now I am wondering what to do with the larger top decal. No directions on the decal or the pamphlet you recieve. I go on the DNR website and cannot find a thing.

So, I call the DNR and ask the rep what I do with the top portion. She said you cannot use that decal as they are printing new ones. I said the DNR just sent them out to the court house 2 days ago. What's up with that and she said I will transfer you to another dept that handles the decals.

She does and noone answers the phone so I leave a message for them to call me back and let me know what the heck is going on with these decals.

I cannot believe the DNR can screw this up so bad. man, they need to get thier act together before they even try to start a new program or requirement.

Just recieved a call from the AIS dept at the dnr.

They ARE NOT designing new decals, the grey ones that have been handed out are the correct ones to use. I asked the person I was talking to that the ones answering the phone should be told this to elimanite confusion.

The bottom portion of the decal with the black and white diagonal stripes should go by your winch on the trailer.

The top portion needs to be on the boat but it can be inside the boat say on a cup holder, inside a storage bin lid or one can also laminate it and put it anywhere they so choose.

That should clear up the confusion on the AIS decal decal and placement. They are required to be on the boat no later than August 1st of 2014.

I just renewed my license and was given one of the stickers. The person at the license office told me that the little sticker at the bottom needs to go on the trailer below the winch. I asked where the other sticker needed to be placed and they said "On or in the boat" but not within 24" of the license. Now my delema is do i put the ugly POS on the transom behind the motor or inside the live well. "On or In the boat".

I placed mine on one of the seat posts under the seat. Won't hardly notice it there.

I was not going to put it on the outside painted surface of the boat, no way unless I had too.

Thanks for the info Harvey! I was wondering the same thing as no directions where to place it. Definately not going on the boat.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/142258935.html

Is it just me or everyone else see this too. When the DNR spray and wash the boat its clean and zebra mussel free but doesn't that water just run right back into the lake???? Wouldn't the invasive species just run off that boat, down the ramp and into the lake????

When the DNR pressure washes your boat are they giong to be liable for damages if they tear up paint, factory decals, license numbers etc. ? My guess is not. I don't think there has been much thought been put into this whole bright idea.