• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

early departures

cbrooks

Jason Zucker just signed a 3 year entry level deal with the Wild, and should be playing Thursday against the Panthers!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• solbes

Top Posters In This Topic

You beat me to it. I as just told the same thing as long as he passes the physical according to russo

Hey a good early signing for once, Wild get some depth and potential and Denver gets a little weaker, win win!

I was thinking the same thing fishing tech... I think its only a matter of time. He seems like a guy that isnt great at anything, but is just a SOLID all around player who can bring not only some scoring but physicallity and defense too

Drew Shore signed with Florida a couple of days ago, preceding Zucker's signing to the Wild. So Denver will be weaker. EDIT: Guess I should read back a page as this is old news.

JT Brown will sign with a team in the next two days. Reported top teams interested include Tampa, Philly, and Boston.

Although Oleksuk is not an early departure (senior), he signed a deal with San Jose. Great pickup IMO. Next hoping Connolly gets signed somewhere, maybe the Wild take a chance.

Connolly would be a great story for the Wild. And if nothing else he should be solid for the Aeros for the next few years. I don't think Zucker will be healthy enought to play well tonight if he plays at all. Which is good, this is no time to be bringing in skill players we are just a couple points out from a potential number 2 pick.

Which is good, this is no time to be bringing in skill players we are just a couple points out from a potential number 2 pick.

grin

As to JT, this guy can turn on the jets when needed. He's great in transition and can often slip behind defenseman. I'm sure this will be tougher at the next level, but I think he has a chance to be successful. He certainly plays with passion, too much at times. He will need to add 10-15 lbs of muscle I think, which will hopefully not affect his speed.

Just saw the wild are not going after any college free agents this year, they signed most of our young guys and don't have much room for extra contracts. They still need to sign Granlund and want some room for any potential free agents.

Not really early, but CBJ's goalie got hurt today and they signed Hunwick to an amateur tryout because he was available.

2 yrs is the new norm.

If your only gonna play 2 yrs of college....why even do it. Go to canada and play 60 games.

Agree 2 years is pretty common for high skill players. At 3 years, anyone with talent for the bigs is usually gone. Guys even leaving after 1 year, which really baffles me.

Quote about JT. Not 100% sure I'ad agree with the very last point though smile

“He plays hard both ways, he’s aggressive, he has speed, moves the puck, has a scoring knack and is a clutch performer. He played his absolute best in the Frozen Four last year,” said Tampa Bay senior adviser to the general manager Tom Kurvers, a former UMD All-American defenseman, who watched the Bulldogs 14 times this season. “His competitiveness is so noticeable and he has a little evil streak, which he’s learned to control.

On these early departures. I didn't realize until recently(if I'm wrong correct me)that after your drafted you have 4 years for the team that drafted you to sign with them. So with that being said you can see where the pressure comes from the pro team to sign you. i believe blake Wheeler was drafted by the Coyotes didn't sign with them in that 4 years so he became a free agent. Kind of screwed the Coyotes but who cares grin

scsu Mike Lee just signed with the coyotes 3years

Not a big loss as they have some good young goalies. Just wondering if some others may also be leaving behind them.

On these early departures. I didn't realize until recently(if I'm wrong correct me)that after your drafted you have 4 years for the team that drafted you to sign with them. So with that being said you can see where the pressure comes from the pro team to sign you.

Not to mention the collective bargaining agreement is expiring this summer for the NHL (Sept 15, 2012). So far more uncertainty for rookie pay and rules. In other sports leagues, rookies now make less money than before.

Certainly we are in an era where an undrafted free agent who gets max money deals have no reason left to stay. There is almost no reward for staying (who actually gets a degree anymore), and only upside for leaving (max money, minimize risk of injury while playing amatuer). Of course some of these guys aren't quite ready for the bigs and would benefit from an additional year in college. Forest for the trees though.

Schultzy from Wisconsin (junior) sounds like the next MIA in the WCHA. Drafted by the Ducks in '08, but could become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Kind of telling that he hasn't signed with the Ducks yet.

So lets say he doesn't sign with the ducks. He becomes a free agent. Does it matter to the player, Schultz in this situation? I'm just wandering if the player takes a a hit money wise if he doesn't sign for the team that drafted him??

Nope too old to back in the draft I think, he would be just doing what Wheeler did, go free agent and pick your team. Anaheim would get a compensation pick in the 2nd round. Kind of a dump rule if you ask me, the teams can lose out on good players, or it's great if you pick up a top player for nothing. Sort of an odd rule all around.

I guess maybe, I can put this here. Troy Jutting, Mankato head coach has been reassign in Mankato's athletic dept. He will no longer be coaching the hockey team.

That shoulda happened 5 years ago. Maybe they will finally try to grow that programn

Didn't they have a pretty solid team 5 years ago? It was only one season but I know they were solid, even made the NCAA's as an at large bid. It will be interesting to see who they get.

Mankato has 2 standout freshman(Matt Leitner and Jean-Paul Lafontaine) this year. They could be tourament bound if there freshman class this year sticks around for awhile.