• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm disappointed in what hockey has become...

Hockey Guy

Yeah, that guys was a work of art.....but not a hockey coach. We just had a good team.

I didn't play hockey in high school, only played through 5th grade, but I went to a school that has some pretty deep hockey tradition (Greenway) & grew up in a hockey family. My dad played for the U, my uncle did as well & has been coaching hockey for as long as I've been alive, & several of my cousins went on to play college level. I feel hs hockey is only a few steps behind basketball. I have a 5yr old son that wants to start playing next year so I am looking at this from a parents perspective. I feel that if my son plays hockey, there's a good chance at some point or another he's gonna get hurt. Hockey's a physical sport & if you can't handle it, don't let your kids get started. I also hope he's gonna get into motocross like his old man was, & there's a good chance at some point or another he's gonna wreck & break something or maybe worse. I pray not, but it might happen. Taking good, clean, hard checks out of hockey is turning it into a wuss sport. I do think dirty hits are disgusting & need to be penalized heavily, but let the kids play. Sure, they're bigger & faster than ever, & some kids are gonna get hurt. If you follow motocross at all, there's kids doing double backflips and frontflips on bikes. Alot of kids are getting hurt, but they aren't gonna ban aggressive tricks because it's part of the progression of the sport. We're in such a coddling society right now that the second a kid gets hurt we feel we need to do everything we can to protect them from ever getting hurt. I really feel for Jablonski & his parents, it's a terrible thing that happened to him & it sounds like he's a great kid, but if you listen to him talk he's never expressed a bit of bitterness towards the player that hit him or said anything about needing more rule changes in the sport. He gets it. Sadly, it's part of the game.

I think it's safe to say Hockey in Minnesota, at least at the High School level, is alive and well.

I haven't seen one instance of the perceived paranoia in this tournament so far.

As a matter fact I think this State Tournament could our best to date top to bottom!!!!!

Please post any particulars that you see to further your doomsday scenario's.

I don't see a whole lot to be concerned about either Pier, sometimes things are just different and not necessarily better or worse than back in the day.

My only real long term concern for hockey is keeping $$$ in check so the game isn't limited to the rich. This becomes more of a problem out state where numbers and income aren't as high.

I feel so bad for the Hockey parents of today and the kids for that matter. Between the insane about of time, which is basically year round now and the cost it's beyond ridiculous.

I feel so bad for the Hockey parents of today and the kids for that matter. Between the insane about of time, which is basically year round now and the cost it's beyond ridiculous.

+1

My son is in his final year of playing hockey (Jr gold B). From the cost of tryouts, league, tourneys, associated travel costs, sticks(makes me sick) and other equipment, parents going out for refreshments(;), whatever else I cant think of.....It's out of control. I'll bet we have $2500.00+, and I don't even have him involved in summer camps/clinics! But we did make it to state next week. We play the number 1 rated team Thursday in Wayzata Gold. We need to bring our A game and they can't bring their's!

I think it's safe to say Hockey in Minnesota, at least at the High School level, is alive and well.

I haven't seen one instance of the perceived paranoia in this tournament so far.

As a matter fact I think this State Tournament could our best to date top to bottom!!!!!

Here, here!!!... I thought the games I watched were awesome... Gotta love the upsets in 2A... Although, I will admit I was pulling for MG... Interesting, that very few if any (I didn't watch all the games every minute) 5 minute majors..... There was plenty of physical presence and for the most part a great puck control games... Good angles, clean checks..(other than a few hands getting too high up)... I would say dam good hockey in MN. Aint nothin wrong with that!!! grin

Please post any particulars that you see to further your doomsday scenario's.

Pier, I have to agree with you. The effort level and physical play was great in the state tournament. I do think the the refs called the game more loosely than other regular season games I watched. It reminded me a little of how NHL play changes once the playoffs start. I don't think you could ask for more entertaining hockey than what the tourney offered this year.

I still think Hockeyguy does have some good points as far as the youth level goes. Coaching is the key at those early ages and if you can get them on the right path early that helps everybody in the long run.

But, who in there right mind would want to coach or officiate any youth sports now a days. As an active official of multiple sports and a FORMER coach. I have seen a drastic increase in some of the most insanely ridiculous, appalling, behavior out of adults/parents.

I can't tell you how many times I WISH I could have said this to a disgruntled parent over the years but had to bite my tongue.

"Sorry sir, but your little Johnny not only sucks at this sport but you wouldn't know the rules of if they hit you in the head with the actual rule book."

Now go sit down .. grin

But, who in there right mind would want to coach or officiate any youth sports now a days.

Ya I use to think I wanted to coach my kid but now I am thinking some kind of loosly affiliated assistant helping out with the practices sounds a heck of a lot better.

I just wanted to show you all that I am a rational man by saying that the state tournament was great hockey. I thought the refs did an excellent job calling that tournament. The first few games I saw a couple of obvious dives and the refs didn't call a penalty at all. Personally I would like to see the obvious dives called for unsportsmanlike conduct on the player that dives, but at least not calling anything is a step in the right direction. I think the word got out, or was at least observed, that the refs weren’t calling that stuff because later games had very few dives. I even saw a few players try to call “timeout” by turning their backs and the refs didn’t call penalties when the player was hit in the back. I would actually say it was exactly the opposite of all the high school games I went to toward the end of the regular season. It was refreshing for this hockey fan to see.

+2

It's nutz. My boy better appreciate this someday! grin

No doubt Bear, had to pull my kid from hockey, made me sick to do, but a 9 year old and the cost simply to join was 1,074 dollars. Add in gas and lodging and my daughters medical bills and it was over before it started. No wonder some parents get a bit out of hand, they have many thousands poured into a sport they hope there kid will love and be decent at. 1 thousand 74 dollars, mercy. My senior year in 1989 we paid 50 bucks for the season.

Yeah, its expensive.

My 2 kids costed $1800 for seasonal fees.

Add in 6 out of town tournaments between both their teams, and probably $400 a weekend average.

Spent $600 on new gear for my son mid season as he just grew out of stuff. Daughter I was lucky to get by with $100+ for new gear.

My son played 45 games and had 70 practices this year. Whatever that fuel bill ends up at for travel.

Bottom line, my 2011-2012 season probably costed me 5 grand plus.....

But its all perspective. We have friends that will drop 4 grand for a one week cruise in the gulf. Or friends that dont bat an eye to buy a $500 driver for their golf bag, even though they have 3 or 4 other drivers already, and spend untold amounts of money on green fees over a summer. We all have our interests we spend money on.

My daughter just asked me a couple weeks ago one night,,,, "Dad, why dont we ever go to Disney world?"

I had to explain to her the time and money commitment of hockey, and asked her and my son if they want to take next year off hockey so we could go on a trip.... They didnt bat an eye... NOPE! We want to play hockey. They get to play hockey because they love it and I am more than happy to pay the price(monetarily and timewise) to let them play.

I love it.

OLD TIME HOCKEY!!!!

Sorry, it had to be said.

The question I have is with the newer rule changes will these youngsters be prepared for a different physical game, if they make it, at the college level?

And plus 10 about the costs of the game.

PS- No way would I ever want to coach any high school sport. The behavior I've seen from some parents at different games makes me want to puke.

OLD TIME HOCKEY!!!!

Sorry, it had to be said.

+1

The Gordie Howe hat trick is gonna be the thing of the past.

I am disappointed too in what hockey has become. But I differ on some of your points. Hockey was and still is a puck control game. In the early years, players couldn't skate, shoot, or stickhandle as well as today. But all sports evolve because athletes become better as time goes on. In the early years, players had straight sticks, didn't wear helmets, and some goalies didn't even wear face masks. The game was simply not that physical. Now the game has become very physical. I think it has become too physical. I think players are taught systems and intimidating physical play rather than the true skills of the game. With that said, I would probably teach the same things myself if I had to because of the old saying "you can't fight city hall" I think the way the game is officiated becomes a large part of the problem. Everybody today seems to think that you have to blast into a player if he has the puck instead of taking it away from him. With the speed of the game as fast as it is and the size, strength and skill level of the players, you are going to have have the type of injuries that are occuring. Where does hockey go from here? I disagree with your opinion about the player turning his back. He is only trying to keep the puck from the player attacking. If he kept it out in front of him, the player could easily take it from him. He is only shielding it from him. Does the opposing player only have one thing on his mind and that is to blast into him? The player with the puck is not cowardly for that, he is only trying to maintain possession until he finds an open pass. I think some of the mentallity of what hockey is or was about is lost. We shouldn't have to resort to playing football on ice to enjoy the sport.....just my thoughts

Simey1,

I have to disagree with many of your points. If you simply want to watch all puck possesion without hitting, then just watch girls hockey. Hitting hard legally is as much of the game as is passing or shooting. As a player I was taught to seperate the man from the puck in the dzone, then let your teammate pick it up for an outlet pass. If a player is being engaged by a defender he can either pass it off, make a move or fight through the check to create space to then make a play. They should NOT turn their back to play to avoid contact and that is what's happening. I have no problem with shielding the puck by body position but that is different than what I've seen. Players will push the play all the way up to the point of contact and then turn their back. Turning your back to purposely avoid contact is much different than someone drilling you from behind with intent to injure.

I didnt read any of these posts.....I wish hockey would get more physical. All these penalties are a joke. It ruins the game to have power plays for half the game. Kids need to learn how to take a hit at young ages. Taking and avoiding checks is a skill that doesnt come over night. I truly believe you will see far less of the huge hits if kids learn how to play the body and protect themselves when they are young. The big hits are usually someone with their head down, honestly you should know by now that someone is lining you up.

So for all you whiners that dont want your kids getting checked, pick a different sport or play in house. Dont ruin it for the rest of us.

Oh and lastly, teach your kids to not turn their backs to the guy coming up and hitting him, what are you thinking. It happens every game. Its a talk stupid move and maybe you should get a penalty for setting a guy up, because it is starting to look taught.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
So for all you whiners that dont want your kids getting checked, pick a different sport or play in house. Dont ruin it for the rest of us.

blahblah.gif