• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm disappointed in what hockey has become...

Hockey Guy

I went to Mariucci last night to watch the section finals and in my opinion high school hockey is ruined. I know I have posted similar posts before, but this is more for my own peace of mind that I’m doing it again. The new rules, the strict enforcement, the advantage the players are taking of it, it’s all complete talk and is ruining a great game. The diving that players are doing and the turning their back whenever an opposing player is challenging them for a puck makes me sick. All night long I saw players turning their backs and essentially calling “timeout” because someone was coming in to challenge them for a puck. I watched an Edina defenseman have the puck in the corner facing center ice looking to make an outlet pass. Then a player came into challenge him so he turned his back. The challenging player had to hold up and not touch him, so the defenseman skated the puck behind his net toward the other corner. Then another player came into challenge him so he turned his back again and that forechecker had to hold up as well. Then the defenseman turned away from a third forechecker by turning his back to him and then made an outlet pass. I watched this happening multiple times each period. If an opposing player did happen to touch the player that turned his back, the guy that turned his back would fold up like and accordion to attempt to draw a penalty. This is not how the game was intended to be played.

People argue the safety of the game. Ok, let’s look at the statistics… The occurrences of concussions and serious injuries have gone up (not down) with every new rule, enforcement, and every time they take checking out of a certain age level. Why? Because players are not learning that hockey is a physical game and they need to keep their heads up and expect to get hit from anywhere at any time. Players need to learn how to take a hit, protect themselves, and actually how taking a hit the correct way can work to their advantage. I like to say that they need to develop a RADAR, and be aware of their surroundings at all times. IMO we are doing a disservice to every young player learning the game today. We are setting them up to get hurt. It’s not the player’s fault that they are getting hurt, it’s USA Hockey’s fault for not teaching them to protect themselves and for coddling them when they are young. Young players are little sponges. What they learn at a young age are habits that they have for life.

Now granted, I was not there, but my understanding is that the high school player that was paralyzed was racing into the boards with two opposing players tapping on his shin pads and trying to get to the puck. Why wasn’t he expecting to get hit? Did he actually turn his back or put himself into a vulnerable position? Like I said, I wasn’t there. The only thing I know for sure is that based on his age, he was never taught how to take a hit and protect himself. In fact, he was taught the exact opposite. He was taught that he should have nothing to worry about because his back was to the other players.

I think that USA Hockey and the MSHSL are doing exactly the opposite of what they should be doing and I think there is enough statistical data to prove that at this point. First thing they should do is get rid of the checking from behind penalty. There are plenty of other intent to injure penalties to call if there is intent to injure such as charging, boarding, cross-checking, elbowing, etc. Then they should reinstitute checking all the way down to the mite level. Mites aren’t interested in checking each other anyhow, but they should know that the possibility exists. Then if USA Hockey wants to get involved they can create their modules on teaching how to hit, how to take a hit, how to be aware of their surroundings, and what they should expect. Then, they should absolutely crack down on the enforcement of diving penalties! This is probably one of the biggest problems in the game. I watched players fall down anytime they were slightly touched and then they would slap their stick on the ice like a beaver tail. The refs would just look at them and shake their head! Why not call that Unsportsmanlike Conduct dump? How else are you going to get rid of it from the game? Where is the downside for the player that is diving?

The way I see it, there are only two ways the game can evolve from here. The hockey powers can continue to attempt to make the game safer in the same manner they have been which is actually making it less safe. In order for this to work they will have to take all contact out of the game entirely everywhere on the ice because players still aren’t learning to keep their heads up and expect a hit. That’s fine if this is the direction they want the game to evolve. I believe we will see girls playing on the boy’s teams in the very near future if this the direction they want to go. Weather that’s good or bad is a topic for a different time, but it will happen. The other option is to teach the game as it was intended as I stated above and within a few years you will see injuries and concussion decrease.

The fact that guys care more about the next big hit than scoring anymore is the problem I see a lot too. Guys see another guy in a vulnerable position, so they take advantage. It happened last night in the Dallas-Pitt game with Nystrom on Letang. Sure, Letang was watching the puck going into the corner, but does that give Nystrom free reign to blind side him in the head? The problem exists with the hitters and the hittees. No respect and no sense.

I will agree with Hockey Guy to some extent. They are sissifying a game that is meant to be a tough, physical game. The problem with your statistics, however, is that no one worried about a concussion 10-15 years ago. Those stats were not really measured. So to say that the stats prove anything at this point is rather misleading, IMHO.

Checking at the mite level? Come on....those kids are just learning to skate for the most part and the differential in size and talent at that level would cause some serious issues.

there needs to be amiddle ground. i understand the rules are designed to promote the skill aspect of the game, but what will happen if this continues, is that the top level kids will leave for juniors during high school. The days of the best talent being displayed at the tourney are dwindling.

Onafly, I agree with you but that shouldn't be an issue if players were trained correctly. He wouldn't have been blind-sided in the head if he would have been expecting the hit to come. And if he was still hit in the head, it was probably a penalty anyhow for elbowing or charging. I used to coach bantam level hockey years ago. I used to teach my players how to take hits and play the puck with their feet along the boards while protecting themselves and the puck. The fact is, I have never seen a player get hurt from a hit they were expecting yet never came. On the other hand, I would bet you that 90 percent of injuries are the result of players not expecting to get hit yet they do... Wow, that's deep!

Dylan33, mild concussions were probably miss diagnosed, but we are talking about major concussions here most of the time where a player can't skate without getting dizzy. I know they were diagnosed because I had two from football and one from a sledding accident in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Once you get a concussion you are more likely to get another one, but I never got one from playing hockey. As for checking at mites, yes I think they should learn it at that level. I coach mites right now and agree with you about the size difference and the talent level. But, every player is more interested in the puck than they are in hitting someone. Like I said they need to know that the possibility is there for getting knocked down. I wouldn’t teach checking at this level so much as teaching them to keep their heads up and to expect that other players are going to come in and they should be prepared to get hit. I would also teach them to go into a pile or after a puck with both hands on their stick and the blade on the ice. They need to keep their elbows and shoulders down. Like I’ve said too many times already, the point is to teach them to expect the unexpected and the earlier you teach them this the better. The 5-8 year age range is very important to the cognitive, fine motor skill, and gross motor skill development of a child. They are learning characteristics and habits that will stay with them for the rest of their life. This is why I think that the Mite level is so important and actually why I think most knowledgeable coaches should be coaching at this level. It’s kind of off topic, but a good example is how many kids you see in mites holding their sticks the wrong way. Ninety percent of people are right handed so they should shoot left since your control hand should be at the top of the stick. Yet, go to a mite practice sometime and watch how many kids are trying to shooting right handed. Those are usually the kids that hold their hands too close together like they are holding a golf club so of course it feels more comfortable. I have people tell me all the time that they grew up right handed and they shot right handed in hockey. Well, all that proves is that they were a very coordinated kid and were able to learn something that’s not natural. It doesn’t mean their kid should have to do learn that way…

You sure are passionate Hockey Guy!

I must say I disagree with almost everything you are saying to be honest. I wouldn't even no-where to begin.

I find todays Hockey across the board to be top notch and very exciting ....

Checking in Mite Hockey?

I give up you win ... grin

Pier, I agree that the talent level is incredible right now. In fact Lou Nanne made a comment a few years ago that Minnesota isn’t producing the great players like Mayasich and Broten that it used to. I completely disagree with that statement. I think that the entire talent level has gone up to the point where the superstar players just don’t stand out as much as they used to. The gap between the best and worst player on a team is much narrower than it used to be. That kind of proves my point though. Why would you want to limit that skill and competitiveness by allowing players to call “time-out” by turning their back? Body position is a huge part of the game, but IMO if a player turns his back he should brace himself for a legal hit. Players should be able to do whatever they need to do, within the classic checking rules, to get the puck. The rules now promote ‘boxing-out’ (like that other winter sport that uncoordinated people play)whistlegrin, and diving. Heck, in the NHL they even get a penalty for ‘reaching in’ when a player turns his back and they attempt to poke-check. If player attempts a poke-check the guy with the puck clamps down on his stick, usually by lifting it up under his arm, and then takes a dive like he was just shot by a high-powered rifle. What’s next? Are players going to come in a one-on-one and turn around so their back is to the defender while they drag the puck behind them? Why not? They can’t be touched in the back and the defender can’t reach in to poke-check! I’m exaggerating only for effect. I do understand your position though. I hear it from almost every parent out there that wants to protect their kid and as a father I understand that. I just feel that proper training will protect them more…

Great post hockeyguy. You are dead on with hockey going the way of basketball. It seems the refs/rules of the game is getting water down. pretty soon there will be calling fouls on all levels. Here's a link that is a little off the topic since it deals with fighting in the USHL being abolished.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012/03/01/fighting-in-junior-hockey-soon-to-be-extinct-good/

I agree with you hockey guy to a point. Hockey has gotten softer, but the talent is still incredible. Today's kids are truly bigger, faster, and stronger. This is evident in every sport and every level. As for checking in mites, you are way out in left field on that one. Body posistion is huge. Coaches used to teach kids how to play the puck on the boards, I don't see that happening anymore. I do agree kids today turn their backs to avoid contact, Im not sure if that's coached or something the kids do on their own. Hockey is still the fastest toughest sport on earth, and just like everything in life it evolves.

I think your right.Course when they progress to college and maybe beyond, they'll be behind!!Minnesota wont be known as the state to recruit from anymore. I thought when they were forced to wear facemasks the highschool sport was going downhill.

But remember in the small hockey leagues every player gets a trophy! What a stupid thing to teach losers get trophys!!! their all special mom and dad said so!! AAARG

Hockey might be getting softer to a point but on the other hand a lot of these guys are training year round on the ice and the weight room. They have more bulk and are flying around a lot faster than they did back in the day. So while certain aspects of the game have maybe become soft we also have a lot of serious injuries and crazy amount of concussions lately. We just have to find a little balance..

Hockey Guy by any chance did you recently write a article for Let's Play Hockey?

I can't find the magazine or the piece on-line right now but there was a story/opinion that was very well written and articulated like your view on the subject is.

If anybody can find it please post it.

Here's another opinion from Jack Blatherwick in Let's Play Hockey.

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online-edi...with-skill.html

I already explained what I meant by checking in Mites on the previous page. It’s not about teaching Mite players how to hit as much as it is about teaching them to keep their heads up and prepare for being hit by other kids that may be out of control or just trying to get the puck. It’s never too early to teach kids how to take a hit.

I agree that the players are all getting stronger, bigger, and faster, but the main point there is that they are ALL getting bigger, stronger, and faster! If you teach them to be aware of their surroundings, how to take a hit, and how to protect themselves it shouldn’t matter how big the other player is because they should be prepared for it. It’s funny to me that most of the comments that I’m getting from people I think only prove my point more. If I guy that is big and strong is chasing me into a corner I’m sure as heck not going to turn my back to him unless I’m prepared to get hit. Even if I’m getting hit by accident because the other guy can’t stop or is off balance. That’s just plain insane as far as I’m concerned. And seriously, was it really that bad for kids to just admit that maybe they’re just too small to play the sport? That happens in football and basketball all the time. Why does hockey need to be the poster sport for the “everyone gets to participate sport”. I hear that from people all the time. Something like, “we need to take the hitting out of the game so the smaller, more skilled type players can compete on a more level playing field.” I just don’t get that. Maybe it’s because I’m getting old, but if someone wants to go start the Obama Hockey League where everything is fair be my guest. Maybe they can have a rule against toe-drags by any player over six feet tall because they have an unfair reach advantage.

And please someone that grew up playing in the 80’s back me up that players now don’t have a sense of their surroundings in open ice. They have their heads down looking back for passes and right when they get the puck they get smoked. I’ve seen so many suicide passes being made the last few years at every level. When I was around that high school age we wouldn’t have even made that pass because the teammate we passed it to probably would have flipped us off on the spot! There is very little sense of danger or the realization that they can get hurt, and personally I attribute that to not being trained that the possibility of getting smoked is a very real one. Talk about a concussion waiting to happen. The refs should give the penalty to the player that made the suicide pass.gringrin

IMO, the diving is major contributor to the safety of players as well. Diving is nothing more than an overall disrespect for the game. That disrespect for the game causes an overall disrespect amongst players. That overall disrespect amongst players causes more cheapshots and hit’s to the head. The cheapshots and hits to the head causes more concussions or other injuries, which leads to more retribution from teammates and so on. I remember when it used to be disgraceful to lay on the ice or get knocked down. Wasn’t it Doug Gilmore that took the shot off his leg, then he got right up and made his way over to the bench where it was discovered that he had a broken leg? Guys like Avery and Matt Cooke don’t help the respect amongst the players either. This isn’t basketball, keep your lip-jacking to yourself or drop the gloves.

And no Pierre, I didn’t write the article. I would love to write something or get my chance to talk about this where it matters, but everyone always has the knee-jerk reaction to take something out of the games or add more rules in order to make it better instead of just enforcing the rules that are there. I can tell you that there is a growing number of coaches that feel the same way I do, but the parents that influence USA Hockey are always right there to hold up a picture of Jack Jablonski or other injured players in order to argue for more rules. Again, I would hold up Jack’s picture and argue that he should have been taught to expect a hit and even if the player that hit him committed a penalty, he still would have been expecting to get hit. I never took it for granted that other players were going to follow the rules if I was in a potentially dangerous situation anyhow. If that were the case we wouldn’t need refs at all. I agree with the article you posted about hitting after the whistle though. Anyone that touches anyone after the whistle should get the gate no matter what the reason. I’ve never understood why that is let go.

I disagree with most of your stance hockey guy.

Sorry, not going to waste my time with rebuttles on all your issues.....

I cant change your mind, you wont ever change my mind, so I am just going to say that I think you are wrong in a lot of what you say. A couple things I do agree with.

I will concede to agree to disagree on this one. 2c

PS - You using Jabs name and being such an authority of what he should or shouldnt have done is disgusting.......... You obviously have major issues and I sure hope you never get in a position to dictate what our youth hockey direction should take......

Hockey BC 69 - Did you read my posts before you type something I didn't say or even imply? You have all my posts right here in front of you. Show me where in the world I said Jabs did anything other than what he was trained to do. Don’t be putting words in my mouth when they are all right here for anyone to read! I said that he was never taught to expect a hit to come from behind and he didn’t know how to protect himself. I even said that it’s NOT the fault of the players that turn their backs or get hurt because that’s how they learned the game. So you think that it’s alright for the side that holds the view of adding rules and taking out hitting to use Jabs' name every time you turn around but if I use it as an example to counter them that’s disgusting??? Wow, I guess we will agree to disagree. And, if you think it’s a bad idea to teach kids to protect themselves and reward them for turning their backs to the play so be it. That’s your opinion. But don’t be posting that I said something I never said!!!

Oh, so you personally know Jabs and specifically how he was trained in hockey???? So he played in an elite level of hockey and was trained to do what? Could you please elaborate on his specific coaching at every level and where they all failed to teach him to protect himself?

Do you know my son? And how he was specifically hit and was out with a concussion this year, and maybe you can comment on his training through the youth ranks?

Maybe you should look at the thuggery in hockey and how "those" kids were trained.

Oh crud.... Looks like I am in the ring. Gloves are on.

I find your opinion beyond ridiculous, that the the kids that take the hits are 90% responsible for everything that happens....

I NEVER took a game ending hit to the head or face that I recall. I took a HUGE hit to the chest because I was looking down...(shame on me for trying to catch a pass), and I was demolished on open ice. Knocked the wind out of me and it took me a while to get my feet back.

I had a Pro Tec helmet with the mask that was banished because a stick blade could go through the webbing.... I never got touched in the face or chin. And those masks had a LOT of face exposed.

I played defense. I spent a lot of time behind the net. I dont EVER recall being driven into the boards head/face first. NEVER. I even talked to former teammates in the last few weeks about this and they said the same thing..... Its a different game dude.

I have video of my A bantam son getting a crosscheck to the face and being knocked out of the tournament,,,,,, after he was out for 5 weeks due to concussion from November 20th to Jan 5th...... Should he have wider vision??? Oh heck yes!!!! But the kid beating his mask into his face is NOT WARRANTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yes, refs need to call it... You did say that. So where do we give linesmen the ability to stop play in MN hockey for cheap hits??? New topic!!!!!

Sorry Hockeyguy.....I tend to agree with HockeyBC here.... While I respect the fact you coached years ago, the science of the kids physiological, psychological and emotional abilities has warranted almost all changes in the rules and the implementation of the ADM. The game is different than "back in the day" when you and most of us that post on this forum, played, period.

The days of the respect have unfortunately gone... But, I would argue, that's not the rules of hockey's fault. Societal progression/digression has certainly lead to more folks willing to argue, take dives, wield a weapon.... Why is that??

It used to be that hits to the head were minimal because we were taught to keep our sticks on the ice, that was enforced, in practice. All to often these days, kids have an automated defense system that tells them "hands up". This is probably some fault of the parents suggesting that kids need to protect them selves and obviously some fault of the coaches for not enforcing keeping hands down. OF course there can always be some blame to pass on the the enforcement of rules during games... Where would a hockey discussion be without that??? But some of that issue can be addressed by the fact the game is faster and it truly is hard to ref... Having been in stripes for several years as well, I gained a sincere appreciation for the difficulty and the #$%@!@#$ coaches and parents!!!

Come to think of it, we ourselves are to blame for teaching the use of one hand on the stick and allowing that free hand to get higher... OR is it the equipment's fault for being lighter, more protective, or is it the fact that all the kids are truly stronger, faster, with more ability than back in the day???

Your point about big kids staying in the game... and we shouldn't cow-tow by allowing the little guys.... Your head's in the sand man.... Look at almost any NHL roster and you will find guys smaller, faster and more skilled than the goons of old... The enforcers have their place in the pros.... But, look a the playing time they get these days, versus the days of Gretzky....No comparison.

Your points about HS kids taking those hits to draw penalties may be on to some extent... But that is coming from the coaches of the said teams as well then... Not the kids alone... I can just about guarantee that!

Oh BTW, USA Hockey didn't take checking away from PW hockey.... they brought it into mite and older groups by using the fundamental angling, riding out, stick checks etc.... They did remove intimidation hits from PW level.

Interesting discussion for sure... As a coach of over 25 years... I think your full of it... But hey, this country is full of people with opinions... Some run the country, some ruin the country...or a game? Which one will you be??

I think your right.Course when they progress to college and maybe beyond, they'll be behind!!Minnesota wont be known as the state to recruit from anymore. I thought when they were forced to wear facemasks the highschool sport was going downhill.

oh give me a break man.... The rules changes for PW hockey are nation wide... The MSHA rules will be adopted throughout the country within the year... Guaranteed... Might want to open your eyes a bit too... Just sayin!! whistle

BTW, your answer to MN hockey recruits.... Might want to do your homework.. MN still some of the top producing US states for all hockey players.... Just keep that in mind...

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/135746-recruiting

MN Hockey Hub Recruiting

I found the article I was looking for!

Letter to the editor: Rule changes are ruining the game

Thursday, 09 February 2012 09:53

By Rob Polipnick

The last month and a half in the state of hockey has been a whirlwind of tragedy, confusion and frustration. What has happened to a young man in a high school junior varsity game has changed lives forever. I cannot begin to know what the family or young man is going through, or will have to go through in the future. My stomach drops, and sad thoughts enter my mind every time I think of it. I pray every day, that he will regain all functionality to live a normal life.

With that being said, the transition to what I am about to say is a bit uncomfortable because I mean absolutely no disrespect to Jack Jablonski and his family, but I feel that I need to say something, or I will explode. Since the implementation of changes to time served for three penalties, the game has turned into a complete circus. Why? Because our governing bodies had a knee-jerk reaction to a tragic accident, and tried to implement something midstream and caused nothing but confusion, anger and frustration. They have sent out videos to coaches and players, and have posted the video online for parents to watch.

What good does that do if our officials can’t even figure this out? Supposedly, the game has not changed a bit, so why all of the propaganda about this big change to everyone instead of those who are put in place to enforce it? They obviously did not get the real memo because they cannot even explain what they think they are trying to do. Confusing? You bet. Ruining the game? Yes, without question.

Our governing bodies want to make parents, players and coaches accountable for everything. That is really fine with me if those same governing bodies and on-ice officials become accountable for their inability to enforce what is going on.

I do the book for our high school games, and I have heard two explanations by officials who should not even be doing Mite games. The first was by an official who told one of the coaches that he should be thanking him for making a call now that the new rules are in place. (Sorry ref, THE RULES HAVE NOT CHANGED). The second was an explanation to a coach about a checking from behind penalty. The official’s response was, “Two weeks ago, I wouldn’t have even called that player for a penalty, but because of the new rules I had to call it”.(Sorry ref, THE RULES HAVE NOT CHANGED). Who is accountable for this?

I have a son who is a senior in high school and has played hockey since he was five years old. He loves the game so much to the point that he has trained exclusively over the last three summers and falls. He has been to numerous camps with excellent instructors, and has been taught by numerous good coaches.

Now the bomb drops and our governing bodies make some minor adjustments. Now, I will be the first to tell you that these changes should not affect the way the game is played, but somebody should tell the Minnesota State High School League and Minnesota Hockey to educate themselves and their on ice officials.

Instead, let’s confuse players and coaches who train, work hard, attend camps and listen to their superiors to try to play the game the way it was intended to be played. What you now have done is created a knee-jerk reaction and shown an inability to implement what should have been something very minor. Instead, we have a full blown statewide fire alarm that we can’t shut down. That’s what happens when you give more authority to an official. They will showboat and make the game about themselves so they can be the center of attention.

Let’s tell our players that they should train, get bigger and stronger, shoot pucks, be good leaders, and show the work ethic that makes them great young leaders. They do this all the while as our officials take a one-hour test, buy their whistle and stripes, and they are ready to go, just as long as they pass their background check.

If I sound a little bitter about this, I am. I don’t mean to take this all out on the officials, because I will tell you that I have a great respect for many officials that I have met while coaching youth hockey. The blame does not lie solely with them, but also, like I said earlier, it starts with the inability of our governing bodies to educate properly and carries over to the officials.

Who changes things over halfway into the season? Any concerns should talked about, assessed and changed at the proper time. Let’s throw more confusion into a game that most people find confusing already. How do you promote a game that most people think costs too much money, takes too much time and effort to find ice time, and can’t understand the rules to the game? Heck, let’s just throw more confusion to the people that we are trying to win over.

Again, if I sound frustrated, I am. Actually it is more frustration and concern for what I perceived as the best high school sport in the WORLD. The last six weeks have changed a great many things. My wife will tell you that I am a hockey fanatic. I will tell you that right now, I couldn’t care less if I ever see another high school hockey game. In six weeks the game has been destroyed.

Do I sound a little extreme in my assessment? Nope. Leave things as they are right now and things on the ice will get worse instead of better. Frustration levels will grow, cheap hits will increase, testosterone levels will top out and MORE injuries will occur. Those are just the things on the ice. Just wait until you find out what will happen in the stands. I have already seen that.

These are my beliefs, and I know that everybody will not share the same sentiment, but where I may be a bit off, I don’t think I am completely off line.

We have a major problem, and it would have been much better suited to be addressed after the season. I do not completely disagree with the minor adjustments. They are actually very simple. The problem is that the implementation is too subjective and our governing bodies have done a poor job with an issue that they had very good intentions of trying to help. I will give them credit for what are good intentions, but they did not give thought to the subjectivity and the inability to educate the officials of their intent. I know that the officials also have good intentions to protect the players, but it is no secret that we have too many bad apples in the officiating world. Who is accountable?

I sure hope the Minnesota State High School League and Minnesota Hockey figure this out, and soon. I don’t see that happening, and that scares me, because if past history has any merit, the arrogance of both entities shows an inability to say they made a mistake.

It may be time for me to start following high school basketball and that really makes my stomach hurt. I hope I did not offend anyone, and I hope all of you keep your passion for the sport. For now, mine is on hiatus. It is time to give the game back to the players.

Last Updated on Thursday, 09 February 2012 09:55

First off the decision to remove checking by USA Hockey was a dumb one IMO. My son was a first year pee-wee this year and I would have preferred him to learn how to hit and take a hit. I hate that the rule was removed and I think we will see MANY more injuries at the bantam level.

The transition has been horrible based on how the refs call it. In the last game of the season my son got crushed from behind and into the boards. He never turned his back and nothing was called. He was fine and to be honest I wish checking were still legal at his level and a back check would have been called. A major penalty without the 10 min misconduct would have been sufficient. My complaint is just that things were called very inconsistently at his level this year.

I personally think that pro hockey was wrecked when they quit calling obstruction/slashing penalties a while ago. This allowed the clutch/grab to slow down the game. I prefer the faster more wide open game. Give the players more freedom to move and the faster players will become more dominant and checking less of an issue.

Yes I preferred the scoring days when teams scored a bunch. Goals per game are down about 2.5/game since the 80's. At 1230 games that figures 3075 less goals scored per year. I will agree that the size of the goalie pads has contributed to that as well

Now if a player turns at the last second and gets hit they should probably expect it. However, I also believe that the player delivering the check needs to be in control of what he is hitting.

Both the hitter and the hitee need to be in control of themselves.

Just to nit-pic a little.

I think the NHL getting rid of the red-line and actually not allowing the clutching and grabbing of yester-year has really contributed to the injuries in the NHL. The have so much speed now going into the offensive zone that it's an absolute nightmare for anybody in the zone trying to play the puck and get it out of the zone without getting KILLED~.

Again it boils down to the bigger, faster, stronger players we have now and only a Milli-second to react one way or another.

For the record I'm OK with checking in Pee-Wee's just not Mites... grin

Without going through all of the posts, I will agree that checking is an important role in the game. However, when my nephew went to state a couple years back with Rochester Century, the amount of hits (elbows/fists) to the head were hard to stomach.

The game as it was, was just fine but the reluctance of the ref's to make a call or enforce that rules that were in place is what's really killing the game.

Archerystud and I played on the same team in high school and I don't know if he remembers it, but I took a hard shot to the head in a game against Faribault that knocked me out momentarily and resulted in a concussion. Was there a need to aim above the shoulders. IMO no. Should it have been called? Absolutely.

I'd personally prefer to see more focus on establishing the fundamentals of the game vs. turning it into a cockfight but a good check still has it's place.

LEP,

Yeah I remember that.

Do you remember me getting knocked out in the Shakopee bubble? Butt-end of the stick when right through my I-Tec and hit me an inch below my eye. Fists and stick to the head.

Those helmets were terrible. I do remember you taking the hit in Shakopee. I still have the scar from taking a stick to the chops during practice. Those were the days grin

I love the old school cats eye cages. They were heavy though. I remember having one on my Northland and ProTec. This is what I use now in my old man leagues. It's really light and I don't even notice I have a mask on. I tried everything before I found this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cat-Eye-Hockey-Cage-New-Old-School-Cage-/190563932507

Quote:
Archerystud and I played on the same team in high school

Midget, JV or Varsity and don't lie cuz I have many sources that can confirm this! grin

Speaking of old school. I was just looking at my all leather Maroon and Gold "go teddies" hockey gloves the other day while cleaning the garage. By the end of the games "Varsity lol" they would be so saturated that they weighed more than I did.

smile

I've been following this thread and have found it very interesting. I have to agree with the posters that talk about how the game is getting much less physical. I can't say that I watch a ton of prep games a year (about ten live and the tourney coverage), but there is a noticeable difference in the amount of body play from just a few years ago. In one game I watched, I bet there wasn't 10 body checks total for the entire game. But I can't really blame the players because I think nearly anything that resembled a check was called for some sort of penalty. The defensive play,(positioning, angling, lane blocking, play along the boards, pinching,partner suppor, slot coverage) was abysmal. It seemed the only thing that was allowed was to poke check. It must be completely outlawed now to pin a guy to the boards in the defensive zone and let your partner get the puck and move it out. That would probably result in a take your pick penalty of interference, boarding, CFB, holding, etc. smile

I will say that the kids seem to be better "danglers" with very good moves to beat a player and also have real good vision to develop plays. Small space play is very crafty as is lane passing with less chipping it out of the zone.

What is all this JV talk, Archerstud and I played D1 at the Institue of Northwestern Central University.

Midget, JV or Varsity and don't lie cuz I have many sources that can confirm this! grin

smile

Sure you do grin I bet Archerystud remembers our "varsity" coach between periods screaming in the locker room mad"JESUS BALLZ" mad