• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

9mm?

I have been looking at the judge for myself as a "multi" purpose type rig... i would imagine though that it packs a significant punch to shoot... however they make a make a round in the .410 that is a "defense" round that has three discs ( less prone to wall penetration I guess...???/....???) and something like 12 BB sized pellets behind the discs, so, shooting in the dark, scared, and maybe not shooting on a regular basis... maybe a decent option in my mind...

Alls, I can say is any of my sisters ( i Have 5), ma, and girlfriend is this, You would rather have me shooting at you then them... I am going to shoot, until you leave or are dead... they are most likely shoot to kill, and not stop shooting ya until they run out of bullets.... and if ya happen to bleed on the floor, they just might shoot ya again! ;-)

In all seriousness though, there are many guns out there to fit all people.. even that taurus judge is a smaller gun IMO, however, there are smaller lighter guns that may do just as good or better for your situation.

Guys... Trying to decide on a 9mm. I have enjoyed reading the replies believe me, pretty entertaining stuff here. But I'm not looking for which gun will do the most damage... Not which I would feel comfortable with my wife shooting in a dark house... Not which gun & round won't damage your drywall (which has got to be one of the most preposterous statements I've ever heard). If your actually going to shoot someone in your house

- to kill them

- knowing if you pull that trigger your going to be in court for some time

- possibly in jail at first

- and have to defend yourself beyond a shadow of a doubt if you are %100 sure they're going to kill you

- knowing your going to take their life from them and explain it to their family face to face if your in a liberal court

- if you know you have enough money for a lawyer because their will probably be criminal and civil cases

I think the last thing your going to worry about is damaging your sheet rock...

I understand you don't want the bullets to hit anyone else through a wall.

I mean, do you guys really know everything that happens if you shoot someone, under MN law?

Has anyone recently in MN shot (either killed or wounded) an intruder in their house and explained everything that happened since the shooting? I can't remember, maybe someone can inform us.

And your worried about sheet rock? haha jk.

Come on, 9mm, pros vs cons for different makes/ models. What you like, don't like. Single actions vs double, etc. Mostly for plinking, target shooting and the zombie Apocalypse. Hobbs.

pro

I like the double safty on my xd (trigger and grip)

con

may not always have gun in a firm grip to press grip safty

pro

my walther 9 is very light easy concel and carry and thin able to one more bullet vs .40

con

theres a small ammount of power trade off with the 9 then a .40

There plan and simple for ya lol

As long as folks are commenting on effectiveness I checked the ballistics tables on line at the Remington Website. I think the amount of energy delivered at a set distance has something to do with 'effectiveness'.

9mm 124 gr jacketed hollow point muzzle 349 ft.lbs 50 yds 293

38 special 125 gr jacketed hp muzzle 248 ft.lbs 50 yds 224

357 158 gr semi jacketed muzzle 535 ft.lbs 50 yds 428

40 S&W 180 gr brass jacketed hp muzzle 412 ft.lbs 50 yds 368

I believe it takes a lot of practice to become proficient with a pistol and a lot of training to be of the proper mindset to use one effectively under extreme circumstances. I think very few people have the skills required.

IMO steps such as having proper lighting, a good security system, good doors and locks, and an escape plan that you have gone through with your family is of much greater value than a firearm.

A poster mentioned the ramifications of shooting someone and those considerations are also of importance.

A carry and conceal class isn't going to be enough to get someone prepared for an armed confrontation, it is only the barest beginning. A considerable amount of additional instruction and a regular training routine is required.

I would urge that the original poster consider enrolling his wife in a self-defense class, a firearms safety class, and then training on the use of a firearm. There are classes designed specifically for women and if I were concerned and prepared to arm my spouse I would require that she take these classes before I put a loaded firearm in the home and expect it to be of use.

my bad hobbster, i kinda hijacked this topic from ya. i went to the big c to feel a few. keep in mind this opinion is from a completely inexperienced pistol shooter.

man, i really like how the beretta feels! fits my hand like a glove. the xd feels a little fat, but i spose thats cuz of the bigger mag? the sr9 feels nice but you can definitely feel the difference in the $, & the glock felt like i was holding a chunk of metal. grip felt ok but it just didnt have the feel of the beretta. if it was up to me i'd buy the 92, but i'll have to take my wife in to see which feels best to her. i'll show her the judge too, but thats for a different thread wink

I have carried several different guns over the years including, a .45 1911, Berreta 92 9mm, Sig 226 40cal, XD 9mm, CZ 75 9mm, Taurus PT111 9mm and a M&P 9mm.

The Smith and Wesson M&P has interchangable backstraps for people with different sized hands. This model also comes with a competition ready model, full size or compact. I believe the full size has been more reliable from what I have observed.

The Berreta 92 has a very heavy double action trigger pull and really does not fit small hands, making it more difficult for the first double action shot. Very reliable gun as long as it is not "limp wristed". Same for every other gun though as well.

I would choose one of the full size striker style guns with the same trigger pull for each shot, in 9mm with a fiber optic sight. This style gun will be easy to operate, no decocking, plenty of rounds, mild recoil and fun to shoot.

Hobbster, if you are looking at any handgun you are really making a personal decision as to what fits you well and what you like. My suggestion is to go to a retailer that has a large selection and DO NOT let them sell you the gun they need to move for money. I suggest to buyers to not have the intention to make a purchase that first trip out unless you absolutly fall in love with a gun. Handle as many guns as look appealing to you and don't look at price tags until you have it narrowed down to a few. Your under $400 is going to severly limit you, if you can stretch it to that $500 area it would open up a lot more choices. A good sales person should be able to show you a good selection in a set budget, beware of the sales person that only wants to sell you what they like, or want for themselves. That being said, the popular guns are popular for a reason; fit, function and price. The more popular guns, not in particular order are, Glock (choose a number between 17-37), the Springfield XD, Smith & Wesson M&P, Taurus PT line, Beretta 92, and the Ruger SR9. Being a gunsmith with a storefront and in a retail shop I have shot and worked on all of these and there is not a bad one in the bunch. My personal preference is the M&P, but mine is in .40. I do also carry a Kel-Tec PF9 for its size and it is a nice shooting gun, but not my first choice for a day of plinking as it is on the smaller side. Again, spend some time and check them out in person, and when you are ready to make a purchase you will feel better about it. Too bad you aren't closer to Becker, I'm sure we could save you a little money over the big stores and the staff at Element Arms is second to none for knowledge and customer service.

hey sb, are you gonna be in tomorrow or sunday? i wanna swing in & get yer opinion on a few handguns!

I shoot a P95DC Ruger in the 9mm.

I really like it, it is a auto with hammer.

1st time pulling the trigger is hard unless you pre-cock the hammer.

The rest of the rounds pull off pretty quick and clean.

I did shoot Glocks and others when I purchased, but the Ruger had the best feel at the time.

The grip was comfortable and fit my hands well. sight picture was cleaner than the rest I shot.

I purchased this several years ago and I am sure things have changed since then.

Thanks Guys. After getting my hands on a few of these I'm going to rule out the glock. Felt uncomfortable, seemed the angle of the handle was more slanted than a traditional handle angle. There is a range nearby where I can rent a few pistols to shoot. Thats my next step.

Hobbs.

• 8 months later...

Ok guys, I'm finally getting around to buying one. I know I started this thread a while back but some how summer and life get in the way of getting to the back burner... After handling a significant amount of these guns, I have it narrowed down to the S&W M&P 9mm (full size & thumb safety), Taurus PT24/7 G2 4.2" 9mm or CZ-75 P-07 Duty. I have yet to get my hands on the Sig Sauer P226. I like these as they all fit very well and feel extremely comfortable coming up into the draw. Pro's, con's, thoughts, anything I'd like to hear it. Thanks fellas, Hobbs.

Go with the SW M P 9...... I have that exact one. I handled many, shot several, and thats the one that fit me.

Absolutely love that gun!

I plan to get a 9mm Sig P226 in the near future. Its a little high on the price but they feel good in the hand and shoot good. I know Fleet carries the basic model for around $850.

I purchased a 9mm XD a little over a year ago and am very satisfied with my choice. Before I purchased I shot a glock, M&P, SR9, and the XD. I liked the XD over the others. Purchased the kit for just under $500 with holster, 2 mags, mag holder, load assist, and hard case. Came with a right handed holster so I contacted Springfield and they send me a left hand holster at no charge. I also like the grip and trigger safety on the XD. Biggest suggestion is go to a store/range and shoot a variety and see what fits you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fellas, one last question. Thumb Safety on the M&P 9. I won't be using this gun for concealed carry, just plinking at the range and keep it in the bed room. I'm leaning towards the thumb safety, (its the full size model) If I ever want to conceal carry I'd go with a more compact gun so I won't have the holster issues with the thumb safety. Thanks, Hobbs

also, my wife is VERY concerned about keeping a loaded firearm in the house (as she should be!) with our two small children, which are 5yrs & 2yrs. what are some of the better lock methods that can be quickly & easily unlocked in a panic/dark situation? trigger locks seem to be really cumbersome, as do lock boxes. if someone breaks in, you dont really have time to turn on the light, find the key, get it in the eyhole, etc.

Yeah, the loaded gun in the house with kids thing is a problem. IMO, any type of locking system is going to be too slow when every second, or even split second, counts.