• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

9mm?

I'm looking at 9mm pistols, something to plink with and just in case things go haywire. If you guys have any input on 9mm pistols, full size, not the compacts, I'd be interested to hear. Was thinking about the S&W Sigma or a Taurus. As far as price, not over $400.00. Looking for any info or recommendations and why. Thanks a lot guys. Hobbs.

Sig SP2022.

Sounds like what you are looking for in that caliber, size and price. I have one, and the only thing I would like better is if it had a rear adjustable sight. Sig has a great warranty and stands behind their product as well. If you have any issues with the gun, send it in and they will fix it free of charge.

I would not go with a Sigma unless you try one first...the trigger is terrible. Taurus makes some decent guns.

You could always check out the Ruger SR9. It's a full size polymer gun that holds 17 rounds and comes with two magazines. Manual safety and it has a good trigger too. Definitely recommend one, at least check them out.

There's not a ton of great options in that price range. You could check out a used Glock, too. Either the 17 or 19. Might not be the prettiest guns but if you're looking for a plinker and a gun to use if things go sour, the Glock has incredible durability and reliability. Plus in a end of the world scenario, Glock parts are very, very common.

For clarification, the Sig SP2022 is made by a different company than the S&W Sigma - the Sig is made by Sig Sauer and the S&W is Smith & Wesson. The Sig SP2022 has an excellent trigger.

I have a few 9mms and I've owned a Berretta 92fs Inox for 10 yrs now. Extremely reliable, very accurate and has never jammed once w/ 2000+ rounds to date. I paid around $700 new. I know that used ones in police/ military finish sell for less than 1/2 what I paid. I visited my daughter @ Air Force Academy last Sept and the MP's are still carrying them for their sidearms. Good enough for me.

Ill second MNwilds comment on the sr9.

I'll also suggest the springfield xd, i had the choice of 9 or 40 and went wiht the 40 just for a little bigger caliber, but the 9mm is pritty much the same gun and it is around your price range too.

9mm is good for plinking b/c its cheap. As a defense round its not so good. I have heard way to many stories of people being hit by 9mm round and keeping on going to trust it. I carry a .40 Sig. a bit more expensive but when (if) I have to shoot someone I know the round is up too the task.

i'm gonna be buying my first pistol soon & will be checking this topic regularly, thanks for starting it! i'm gonna be going out of state for 2 wks at a time for work & i want something for my wife, if nothing else so i can sleep at night knowing she has some protection. i think a 9 would work perfect for her. i've always wanted a beretta 92, but i didnt wanna drop the $700 for my first pistol. how much is the xd? if i remember right it's in the $500 range. i really like the idea of having 19 rds on on one mag

9mm is good for plinking b/c its cheap. As a defense round its not so good. I have heard way to many stories of people being hit by 9mm round and keeping on going to trust it. I carry a .40 Sig. a bit more expensive but when (if) I have to shoot someone I know the round is up too the task.

I've heard of people being hit by 00 buck and keep going.

9mm is a perfectly acceptable defense round. Select the proper ammo, train, and be confident.

i agree. my brother gave me his .380 which was his second gun on patrol after he retired. i also have a 9mm. good luck.

A 9mmm will do significant damage as compared to a .40 look at this chart for reference.

full-26178-17399-handgun_expanded_jhp.jp

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the input! This will be my first pistol and I like to do my homework when making a purchase like this. I have thought about buying a used XD or Glock but not sure about buying used? Like I said its mostly for plinking and I'll have some better ammo in the night stand. I've shot a few deer in the heart with my 12 gauge and they've kept going as well, for a while at least!

Any pro's vs con's with Single Action vs Double Action or Double Action Only? Thanks, Hobbs.

I shoot both a 9 and a 40, the 9 is fun but I prefer the 40 for self defense. I shoot a XDM .40 with 200 grain hollow points and like the double action aspect plus with this pistol you have a 17 round mag. In any event, if you don't have one, you will need to get a permit to purchase to buy new or used unless you have your carry permit.

.40 S&W is not for everyone, and most females hate it. The recoil over 9mm is quite significant, yet the ballistics are not much better than 9mm. Not enough at least to justify the extra prices, less capacity, and harsh recoil. Just my opinion. I trust 9mm with my life. If ten shots of 9mm 124g +P Speer hollow points doesn't stop a guy with proper shot placement, then neither will a .40 or .45.

Seriously consider that SR9c though. I did many, many hours of research for a great gun for plinking, target shooting, home defense, AND concealed carry all for $400 and no gun came even close to the SR9c. The SR9 is also a great gun, but I like the option of having a smaller gun for carry. Plus the SR9c comes with the full size magazine and sleeve.

teach the wife how to handle a 12 gauge pump and that will be a whole lot workable than a pistol. #7 1/2 shot will work just and have a less of a chance in penetrating walls and harming someone else.

I'm going to have to disagree with Tom in this case and here is why. First, I do agree a shotgun with smaller shot is indeed a fine home defense gun, however, long guns are easily wrestled away from most people, and unless its been shornened to lengths that make it illegal to own, they are very cumbersome to move about the average house with. I know that most people claim that the sound of a shotgun being racked is persuasion enough, I challenge your line of thought by stating if you have to rack it, you were not prepared. Second, the myth that all you have to do is get it in the general direction of the bad guy and pull the trigger is untrue, no shotgun will make a pattern larger than 12-16 inches in the 15-20 feet of most house rooms. Third, if you don't hit anything vital on an attacker with the small shot, you will not stop them if they are determined to kill you in return. I have no problem with a 9mm and good shot placement, but it takes a lot of practice, I carry one, as well as a .380, and also a .40 depending on the dress called for, or places I plan on going. I think everyone should shoot more and for a great education they should SAFELY trying moving around their home with their chosen defense weapon, I guarantee you will learn things about your house and protecting it you never thought you would.

you DO NOT want to use a bird shot for home defence. Richard cheney shot a guy in the face with bird shot and it didn't do that much harm. if someone has a jacket on it will be enough to stop the bird shot. Sure, it might sting, but they will still be able to put rounds down range. there are some excelent self defence shotgun rounds available, that are more comparable to turkey shot. if you are shooting in self defence your intent should be to kill, not maim. If you open fire in a situation that you claim to be self defence but you aim to maim, law may likely find a way to say that discharging your firearm was not necessary. If you are going to use a weapon for defence you need to prepare to use it as a lethal weapon. If you want to use non lethal, they make stun guns and tazers.

If you have someone pointing a weapon with a more lethal round, say a .223 or .45 at you, you will highly regret only having 7 1/2 shot in your shot gun. A firearm is a weapon of last resort, to be used only with intent to kill...

Not to steal the thread, so if it gets to involved of an answer, please start a new thread... But on the home defense line of thoughts, What about a 45/410 that taurus makes, with the defense or buck shot rounds... I too plan to purchase within the next year or so, and have thought or this as an all round small arm for close range yotes, coon, and home protection... But, I really entertain the idea of something like a 9mm to shoot cheaper, and ultimately, get used to using and use it effectively in a defense situation... Thoughts?

^there are better self defense weapons on the market. A youth 20 gauge semi auto is one of the best home defense weapons available, and if you happen to have a kid its an excuse to buy "them" their first firearm. the shortened stock and general shortened barrel of a youth shotgun offers a large caliber, intimidating weapon that can be effectively wielded indoors.

Quote:
i'm gonna be going out of state for 2 wks at a time for work & i want something for my wife, if nothing else so i can sleep at night knowing she has some protection.

If your wife doesn't have a lot of experience with firearms, you might want to take a look at a taser.

thanks for the replies guys! my wife is a small 5' 1", & i feel she wouldnt be able to handle my 870 properly in a self defense situation. also, with a shotgun, followup shots are impossible if you're not experienced with handling them. i could put 3 shots center mass before a guy could draw his gun, but i've put thousands of rounds through that gun. i considered a taser, but if she's alone in the house with my kids & tases someone, they might be down for a minute, but then what? wait for police to get there? what if she misses? i echo what was said earlier, if there's reason to shoot, it's gotta be lethal. i like the idea of a judge, might have to consider that a little more.

also, my wife is VERY concerned about keeping a loaded firearm in the house (as she should be!) with our two small children, which are 5yrs & 2yrs. what are some of the better lock methods that can be quickly & easily unlocked in a panic/dark situation? trigger locks seem to be really cumbersome, as do lock boxes. if someone breaks in, you dont really have time to turn on the light, find the key, get it in the eyhole, etc.

Quote:
i considered a taser, but if she's alone in the house with my kids & tases someone, they might be down for a minute, but then what?

Tase em again, and call 911.

What if she misses with a gun?

um, she pulls the trigger again? and again and again and again until the perp is no longer a threat. sure, there's the danger of wall penetration, but i think the danger of the perp shooting her is a little worse. i'll be doing everything possible to prevent penetrating a wall, like low velocity, 9mm hollow points & as much training with her as possible.

What about one of those biometric pistol vaults. They have the four finger slots that make it easy to find in the dark. I think each finger slot has a button and you push in a code to unlock.

They make a few diff brands/models of locks boxs that are finger print recognizable, were all you do is put like 3 or 4 fingers on the placemant pads and enter a code and the springloaded door opens. scroll through this page to look at some Finger opening safes

Quote:
um, she pulls the trigger again? and again and again and again until the perp is no longer a threat.

If she misses the first time, there's a very good chance she won't get a second chance.

If she misses the first time, there's a very good chance she won't get a second chance.

well, then she better connect the first time. buddy, you gotta stop looking for an argument. This topic wasn't posted to start a debate, if it was I'll start something up in the discussions thread. This is an information gathering forum, please don't try to start something when there's nothing to start.

Quote:
well, then she better connect the first time. buddy, you gotta stop looking for an argument. This topic wasn't posted to start a debate, if it was I'll start something up in the discussions thread. This is an information gathering forum, please don't try to start something when there's nothing to start.

Not looking to start an argument. Just suggesting you weigh your options carefully, and that's all. If she isn't experienced with firearms, she might actually be better off without. That is my suggestion for you and you can take it or leave it. And I'm done with this thread.

What about one of those biometric pistol vaults. They have the four finger slots that make it easy to find in the dark. I think each finger slot has a button and you push in a code to unlock.

Popular Mechanics just had an article about home defense (consulting with security experts) and one of the things they said is to buy a gun safe with a digital keypad. Apparently if you have blood or any fluids on your fingers, the biometrics don't always work. They do make them with both, so that is probably the best option.

Interesting discussion. My wife and I are starting to get our feet wet in this topic, so all of the different viewpoints/thoughts are much appreciated. I looked at pistols a month or so ago, and I was amazed at all of the options. If we weren't going down the Conceal + Carry path, I would consider one of the tactial shotty's out there, as there seem to be some good ones to choose from.