• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thoughts On 220's

motley man

Great Ray! Now I have to wear a rubberized (for lightning) full body bug suit to stop the west nile AND killer bees. I just know I'm going to get hurt outside; I'm changing it to "Indoors with Jonny P". laugh

On a somewhat serious note did anybody catch the "Raccoon Nation" TV show. It was pretty interesting how raccoons have been slowly creeping into urban areas and basically evolving/adapting into a fully functional urban creature just like pigeons or squirrels. They made the comment about how raccoons they collared and tracked have territory divided by major roads. Basically each city block has its own family group. They figure the cars are the only threat these raccoons have making them divide and conquer one block at a time. In China they have gotten so bad the Chief Biologist or gal in charge said it is her job to make sure they exterminate as many as they can as fast as they can.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Random guy

• swamptiger

• Saw557

• swampman

I swore to myself I was going set this out because there is no common sense or logic behind alot of the excuse people are trying to use to ban trapping. But now the "shed hunters" are coming to the plate. Last I knew the vast majority of deer up north dont loose their antlers until after trapping season is closed....maybe things are different south of 694 ??? Whats next 4th of july party goers are worried their dog will be caught in a water set. Give me a frickin break. I have yet to see a "dog hunter" other than myself in two different posts (look it up) offer up any kind of compromise all they want to do is ban. How many of these anti's have made a water set and realize the impact of having to completely submerge the trap. Instead sitting around pointing fingers and bit*hing about it why not find a workable compromise. I am done.......maybe

"Indoors with Jonny P". laugh

Now that is funny. Indoors with Jonny P braught to you by Jonny. Please support our sponsers: sharmin toilet paper, Bic pens, and auquanet hair spray.Jonny says "And for those of you that would like to talk trapping, hunting, or fishing please just trust what i say to you over the internet on a forum. I have not been outdoors but i could only imagine that the fish are bitting over by the heave." LOL.

Who said anything about banning body grip traps?

How do trappers in other states catch bobcats without body grip traps? Or this state?

All I'm reading is a bunch of paranoia.

Are trappers in other states really that much better than Minnesota trappers?

If anyone thinks this issue is going to get better or go away they've been out of touch in the bush for too long.

Adapt or die is the choice we have and I really hope you don't drag me down with you.

Who said anything about banning body grip traps?

How do trappers in other states catch bobcats without body grip traps? Or this state?

All I'm reading is a bunch of paranoia.

Are trappers in other states really that much better than Minnesota trappers?

If anyone thinks this issue is going to get better or go away they've been out of touch in the bush for too long.

Adapt or die is the choice we have and I really hope you don't drag me down with you.

How would you go about catching a bobcat in northern MN?

9339za +1

Ray1 wrote: "The people that want 220s off the ground need to be edjucated" and maybe the people that set them too. Its spelled "educated" Long as we are in the humorous post mode....

Once again more bullsh*t and no talk of a solution. So hows this for a compromise some people have mentioned a 4' leash for hunting dogs now being a bird hunter myself with two NAVHDA registered pointing dogs I find this way to restrictive so I propose a 20' leash for upland hunting and a 10' leash for waterfowl. Speaking of waterfowl hunting maybe upland season should be shortened to 60 days like waterfowl instead of the 100 plus days it is now to harvest your 10 bird limit. Compare that to the 9 days I have to catch 5 martin/fisher or the approx 40 days to catch 5 bobcat. One thing is true this issue isn't going away and neither is the fact life is full of risks get a grip or stay in your insulated, sanatized,climate controlled, cubicle

How would you go about catching a bobcat in northern MN?

In footholds like I always do. This year is no problem but if there is a lot of snow I just put the sets under a thick balsam with a couple extra boughs added above. Beyond that they aren't any harder to catch than a coon. You just have to position your lures so the cat can't put it's nose right on them and use guide sticks.

If you're getting your 5 cats a year in foot holds in northern MN I will take any advice you can give. Do you trap full time or part time before and after work?

The reason I say this is I know first hand that if you're running all foot holds and taking a limit which I don't know if you are or not just an assumption, you are running less traps than you would be running lines with coni's and a 3 day tending period. Cat season has very limited day light I've run both types of sets on cat lines and I know what has worked for me and I've never been able to make enuff foot hold sets that I can possibly check in one day with work constraints. How else are you keeping sets from freezing in even under balsam. I've made many sets under balsam, spruce, cedar, under cubbies that i've had foot holds in with waxed dirt in the trap bed I still have them freeze come December. What lures are you using?

Adapt or die

I got it! Breed dogs with bigger heads! Bobble Head Beagles!

full-10775-17635-89f03f7d02720160f1b04cf

While we wait for breeding

full-10775-17636-achilles_german_shepher

And what does the expanding raccoon population think of using dogs as the excuse to be trap free?

full-10775-17637-coon_hound3.jpg

Oh I'm so gonna get hate mail for this one. laugh

Not saying ban the dogs just change how they are used.

Now dogs won't get in traps, fences, dig out badger dens, cut up their tounges and ears on grass and other trouble dogs get into. I bet we could get camo and orange cones to keep the dogs looking as good as the Bennelli! smile

Yes sir the center picture is an perfect comprosmise dog kept from harm and allowed to roam the wild north.

Today’s joke is tomorrow’s serous matter. Six dead dogs because of conibear traps is a laughing matter to you, but I am sure it is not funny to the owners. Not hunting or going on the public lands because you fear for your dog’s safety because of traps is serious.

Public land, State and National forests do not belong to just trappers so they can kill to make a living.

An online petition (see http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/mark-dayton-governor-minnesota/) to outlaw body-gripping traps on public land.

So suggesting outlandish one sided ideas about how to change standard methods of use directed at a selected group is not funny, and actually found offensive? Huh, imagine that.

I don't want to ban dogs but just change how they are used.

Johnny P

So if you are serious about saying

"I don't want to ban dogs but just change how they are used."

Can't I say

"I don't want to ban traps but just change the way they are used.?

I'LL wait for your reply

Real usefull petition there, got people from asia, europe south africa and japan voting on policy in mn.

Kstp website has an updated number, according to them at least twenty dogs have been killed in the last year.

Kstp website has an updated number, according to them at least twenty dogs have been killed in the last year.

I've heard 25 + and how many you think are never reported or just thrown in ditches?

Thanks for posting picture of yourself and jokes.

State Senator Chuck Wiger (DFL-Maplewood) says that over the last year at least twenty dogs in Minnesota have been killed by what are known as "body gripping traps."

Wiger authored a bill that would create new restrictions to protect dogs.

Senator Dan Sparks (DFL-Austin) is also listed as an author. Representatives John Ward (DFL-Brainerd) and Mindy Greiling (DFL-Roseville) have authored a companion bill in the house.

About 7,000 Minnesota trapping licenses are sold annually compared to 300,000 small game licenses.

Tink

Some rough math on the petition that I came up with at the time I had taken a look.

1,151 total votes

92 MN votes

370 US votes without MN votes

689 Foreign Votes

MN votes account for 7.xxx%

Other US States votes account for 32.xxx%

Foreign country votes account for 59.xxx%

I'm happy that the voice of the MN sportsman, trappers and dog owners alike are the voice being heard along with comprosmise.

Quotes from Pettition-

Most people can't even pick a flower in a park, why should people be allowed to trap animals? What if that had been a small child running ahead of it's parent?

come on Mark Dayton , Ban this kind of trapping , its insane that people are allowed to use traps period ... definately need stricter laws on this kind of thing and I live in this state and it makes me sick to think that this is going on here

Governor Dayton, I urge you to support banning these inhumane and dangerous traps as they are unsafe for companion animals. Please work to make MN a safer state for all animals.

All of these comments from MN residents I now see the level of compromise that we are asked to make.

Don't cover your bobcat traps then they won't freeze as easily. The only reason to cover them at all is to present a smooth place for the cat to put it's paw. Reserve that smooth space for the pan and make the rest of the surface less inviting. Make them search for the lure so they have to make more steps at the set. If you've got to run more than 20 sets to catch 5 cats something is wrong.

Saw557

What a bunch of dump I would believe every thing I "hear" coming from the metro media

Quote:"Yup you're perfect and the rest of us are frickin idiots"

Didn't know we were still on the "Humorous" side

This response helps out the fellow trappers!!!

Also for your info I have been up here since 1972

Johnny P

So if you are serious about saying

"I don't want to ban dogs but just change how they are used."

Can't I say

"I don't want to ban traps but just change the way they are used.?

I'LL wait for your reply

That has already been said. In fact if you watch the original broadcast of John Reynolds reporter John Lauritsen states it about 2:00 minutes into the original broadcast. Then John Reynolds between the sobbing states it about 2:10 into the broadcast. This terminology has also been used in presenting the idea at the capital and public meetings.

So I am saying instead of just asking for us to change how traps are used on a one-sided approach I also say we change how dogs are used. Eye for and eye or equal compromise correct? Well the dog owners are so sure they are closer to god or as one individual stated on this very forum, that trappers as a people are valueless and dogs the same as cars are worth thousands; borderline priceless.

If you look at this forum and just about any discussion that has been around this topic it is the same thing. Nobody has to change but the trapper, no offer of compromise just a show of force in numbers. In fact just a few posts up another chest puff made a clear example that the trapper is out numbered. Accusations of violence and aggression have been cast upon the trapper but you can clearly see the dog owners and gundog crowd have been aggressively attacking the trapper on the offensive drive.

I still say a $12.99 dog cone is the answer. We will elevate traps on dry public land and you put Fido in cone or on a leash on dry public land. Everybody has lost efficiency to the point of futility.

I can hear the blood boiling about the cone and the leash but what do you think the request of the traps is to the trapper?

The underlying backing of the group and petition are anti trappers and cannot be reasoned with look at my above post do you think that the percentage of non MN residents give a rats about minnesota trappers or for that matter MN dog hunters? Taking the side of the anti sportsman is a detriment to all and it seems that actual facts will not be looked at in these posts.