• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thoughts On 220's

motley man

sheepheadslayer, I appreciate your post. Thanks. mnbullrider, not so much. "odd twist" What, we should just blow off my comments made as irrelevant. The "612" just adds fuel too the fire/flame, don't you think? Like I said those type of comments (612) tick me off and incite me to spread how I feel even more. So how can you say my comments are "irrelevant" and not on topic, when all they can do is hurt your cause. Maybe because you don't have a better come back other than "irrelevant".

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Random guy

• swamptiger

• Saw557

• swampman

I knew the "612" comment would light someone up but there is some truth to it they want to come up here and have everything safe,secure and wrapped up with bow on it what happened to "when in Rome do as the Romans do". Society as a whole wants/needs the govt to take care of them and protect them from bad things that MIGHT happen. We don't need new laws people need to step up and be responsible for themselves.

Between hunting,trapping,training and exercising my dogs I am in the field over 200 days a year and have never had a problem with a trap and if it were to happen I am educated enough to deal with it, its part of the game. What also seems funny is I've mentioned in at least two prior posts compromises that I think could work for both the hunters and trappers and not one hunter/dog person has been willing to discuss it. They seem to think it should be their way or the highway and all that does is p@%% a guy off more. I think most trappers would be open to a compromise regarding land sets but completely submerging water sets is unreasonable and unworkable. Its time to quit the [PoorWordUsage] and bickering and find a solution that everyone can live with.

The mta is on this and I trust will come up with a compromise if that is what needs to happen. All that is happenning on here is shouting at each other and it makes us all look bad.

Whatever happens somebody is'nt going to like the outcome. There are some on here that want these traps gone and nothing is going to change there mind and it is a waste of time to think otherwise.

I myself think this whole issue is a media witch hunt that has been blown out of proportion.

+1 Its hard for me to set by and not say something. I am as passionate about bird hunting as I am about trapping and the ignorance on both sides of the story is hard to watch. I also really believe the media is to blame for a lot of whats going on.

I am done here.............

The mta is on this and I trust will come up with a compromise if that is what needs to happen. All that is happenning on here is shouting at each other and it makes us all look bad.

Whatever happens somebody is'nt going to like the outcome. There are some on here that want these traps gone and nothing is going to change there mind and it is a waste of time to think otherwise.

I myself think this whole issue is a media witch hunt that has been blown out of proportion.

Saw557 wrote: "Its hard for me to set by and not say something" Well at least we agree on that.

The MTA is quoted as opposed to any changes to body grip trap regulations in todays Bemidji Pioneer. With 2 million dog owners in the state that position is going to hurt all trappers.

One thing that some people seem to forget is that other people who don't hunt and don't trap have right to "our woods". It's not their responsibility to avoid my traps. It's MY responsibity to avoid them.

The MTA is quoted as opposed to any changes to body grip trap regulations in todays Bemidji Pioneer.

As for the metro versus rural regions comments.

I would love to stay and debate this topic today but I have to go to DNR bear school because some thought bear guides need to go to school… and learn about bear (two hours of the class devoted to forms and new laws). Then I have to go get my CPR/First aid training, again. The state now requires us to have the full Adult/pediatric CPR/First Aid/ AED and not just CPR to be a bear guide. Then I have to go get my live fish and transport health certificate from the fisheries. This is a piece of paper I where I pay for the state to test the state waters for VHS. Granted they test it themselves within a month but I have to have it tested also and it is not cheap. From there I will be stopping at my insurance agent to adjust my policy again as new state laws have changed how I am licensed to operate on public lands, and that needs to be addressed as another liability. Then I go to my lawyer’s office to ensure the 142 pages of new regulations I have as a guide and bait dealer are all met and I am in compliance. Of course a few more dollars will be needed for the insurance agent and lawyer. These laws and hoops to jump through all came from concerned people with petitions or pushed by officials, representatives or senators from more populated regions. I would love to see the rural opinion have a stronger voice but truth be told I live in Bemidji county in the state of Minneapolis.

The new trapping regs are proof of that once again.

Us country folk may not always be something the bigger cities are proud of but man are we fun to watch when we are forced to dance

I started a reply to this but decided not to be sucked into this anymore other than to say 9339za I would'nt be suprised if you are actually john reynolds.

JohnnP, unfortunately thats how its goes in this state... about the same amount of hoops i still have to jump through to pound a nail in this state... and yet i cannot charge anymore for my services and expect to land work... Its how our money hungry state operates....

Quote:
Today’s media is a dog and pony show to start with, just so happens this is the tearjerker of the week. After this is done it will be a park bench, wild flowers or somebody’s shrubs that will have the bored and often unemployed in another outrage. Folks need something to hate to feel complete.

Don't know if it's that they need something to hate so much, but it's an easy sell to portray the trapper as the evil henchman out to destroy the family pet when the general public sentiment leans that way anyway. All you need to do to see that is to look what has happened in other states, especially the more heavily populated ones.

But it doesn't bode well for sportsmen as a group, anyway you look at it, because sportsmen are in the minority to begin with.

sheepheadslayer, I appreciate your post. Thanks. mnbullrider, not so much. "odd twist" What, we should just blow off my comments made as irrelevant. The "612" just adds fuel too the fire/flame, don't you think? Like I said those type of comments (612) tick me off and incite me to spread how I feel even more. So how can you say my comments are "irrelevant" and not on topic, when all they can do is hurt your cause. Maybe because you don't have a better come back other than "irrelevant".

You are adding fire to the flame I have been quiet in this post for some time and this brought me back into it with you're comment that without tourists we would not make it up here. You are the one who informed me that the cities was area code 612. You are the one who considers youre comments irrelivent in general, I think this arguement is not the issue this thread is made for. And unitll now you are the only one who has made a comeback comment. I think this argument has no point continuing. What cause have I been hurting again? But you Sir are backing up a long time philosophy.

As long as some trappers refuse to acknowledge that killing dogs is a real problem and step up and offer real solutions we are at the mercy of people who don't know anything about our sport. Read the comments below the Bemidji editorial and you'll see what I mean by real solutions. Hunters and dog owners only want for their dogs to be safe from body grip traps. Instead of the gnashing of teeth and wailing about the end of trapping we should be working to solve the problem. Blaming hunters for not hunting with their dog on a leash or that 'education' is the solution just makes us look stupid.

How does a guy look up the comments on the pioneer web page. I found the editorial but not any comments.

Is that a intelligent comeback?

If it is you know you are speaking for your fellow trappers!

Sorry,

I meant to reply to:

I started a reply to this but decided not to be sucked into this anymore other than to say 9339za I would'nt be suprised if you are actually john reynolds.

"One thing that some people seem to forget is that other people who don't hunt and don't trap have right to "our woods". It's not their responsibility to avoid my traps. It's MY responsibity to avoid them.

If you are responding to one of my posts I will simply say you take a calculated risk everytime you get in your car, go ice fishing,lace up a pair of skates to play hockey,go canoeing or for alot of people there jobs.The list could go on.

In 2011 the National weather service reports 26 people died from lightning strikes along with a few hundred a year are injured from lightning. The average is 55 deaths per year! Now this has to stop. I think everybody out on public lands need to either wear all insulating clothing; including thick rubber shoes or install a grounding rod or lighting rod to their hat. This of course will only be until we can get lightning to stay 8 feet of the ground.

I just don't know if I dare go outside anymore. Lightning, deadly traps and don't even get me started on the amount of danger and deaths from killer bees. Actually looks like about 50+ people die from all bees and wasps and 1-2 have been documented as Africanized bees! That’s it I'm never going outside again until the state can assure my safety! Bees, lightning and dog attacks are all well over 20 a year. It could happen to me.

Average Number of Human Deaths per Year…well look who is a killer!

Bee/Wasp 53

Dogs 31

Horse 20

Spider 6.5

Rattlesnake 5.5

Bull 3

Mountain lion 1

Shark 1

In 2011 the National weather service reports 26 people died from lightning strikes along with a few hundred a year are injured from lightning. The average is 55 deaths per year! Now this has to stop. I think everybody out on public lands need to either wear all insulating clothing; including thick rubber shoes or install a grounding rod or lighting rod to their hat. This of course will only be until we can get lightning to stay 8 feet of the ground.

I have got to believe you can see the flaw in this line of reasoning. Unlike the placement of traps lightning and killer bees are pretty much out of the control of humans. Flawed logic and idiotic comparisons don't arouse sympathy or allies.

People elsewhere have talked about how cars kill more dogs than traps many times over. This is true, of course, and so the reasoning goes cars should be banned. You need to look at the cost benefit ratio here. As a society we are willing to put up with the problems posed by cars because of this tremendous value. Cars have way more utilitarian value than do traps or the profession/hobby of trappers. Again, flawed logic and idiotic comparisons only serve to alienate potential allies and neutral parties.

Quote:
Cars have way more utilitarian value than do traps or the profession/hobby of trappers.

Unless the road to your cabin has been flooded by beaver... grin

I may be wrong, but I think Johnny P was using a little bit of sarcasm. Not much, just a little...

I have got to believe you can see the flaw in this line of reasoning. Unlike the placement of traps lightning and killer bees are pretty much out of the control of humans. Flawed logic and idiotic comparisons don't arouse sympathy or allies.

How bout you dismount your white horse and enjoy some good humor like the rest of us. Wow, wound up tighter than a 2cent top.

Or the racoons got in and trashed the cabin. Now we wasted the valuable gas in the valuable car on the way to the devalued cabin but at least we squashed the valueless trapper.

It’s a vicious circle of devaluation!

I'm sorry but this whole deal has grown so far out of proportion it has become ridiculous. So I feel ridiculous answers work the best. Realistic logic has been thrown out the window and the crying of wolf is becoming very apparent. In fact I got a voicemail about a roadway/culvert crossing flooding from a feed bed under the ice and they want a trapper to come in and get the beaver out before they attempt to fix it again. I may tell them I am of no value and they will have to figure out how to "legislate" the beaver out. laugh

This is funny. I'm sitting here with half smirk on my face. I like this humor.

BTW...I don't have a white horse. I have a white pickup, is that close enough?

You guys forgot about lyme disease and westnile. Jeesh. grin Not only that but then a kid could be out playing and get bit by a rabid skunk or coon too. The people that want 220s off the ground need to be edjucated.