• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This week's vehicles thru the ice report! :-(

BronzeBrother

CJH gave me the idea for this post to be separate from the original post.. Maybe with a compiled list of vehicles down folks might take a little more caution before driving out this winter. Add to this as we are notified.

Originally Posted By: CJH

This week vehicles went through on:

Lake Riley

Petier Lake

Bald Eagle Lake

Prior Lake

Buffalo Lake

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desperado

• Matt S.

• BronzeBrother

• mallardnwalleye

Maybe you could include where they went through on the lake if known. I know 2 of those went through after driving over heaves/cracks.

Bald Eagel Ice Report

Just a week ago I posted some very specific info regarding Bald Eagle ice conditions.

Where the vehicle went through is right where I stated that an ice boat had gone through.

Sorry, sometimes a guy just shakes his head and wonders.

CJH gave me the idea for this post to be separate from the original post.. Maybe with a compiled list of vehicles down folks might take a little more caution before driving out this winter. Add to this as we are notified.

Originally Posted By: CJH

Lake Riley

Petier Lake

Bald Eagle Lake

Prior Lake

Buffalo Lake

Fish Lake - Jeep Cherokee - 2 1/2 feet of water - overall ice to thin

A vehicle traveling on Lake Bemidji Monday evening broke through the ice, causing four people to swim for safety in the frigid water.

According to the Beltrami County Sheriff’s Office, the vehicle fell through the ice at around 6 p.m. Four occupants got out of the vehicle, swam to the edge of the ice and crawled out.

The report gave no further details.

Tally thus far. I will try to get more info on these later. Have not included ATV submersions on this but there seems to be a bunch of those as well.

Lake Riley

Petier Lake

Bald Eagle Lake - Vehicle traveling over an ice heave

Prior Lake

Buffalo Lake

Lake Bemidji

We can now add Red Lake

13690_4efd68a508c8f.jpg

Eagan

you have got to be freaking kidding me.... i'm pretty sure you're not to be driving on lake even if there are 3 feet of ice.

I want to thank EVERYONE for posting info and warnings about bad or thin ice out there. Especially the way this winter has shaped up. I may be old and over cautious, but I have only been out once so far and that was walking and am just now getting comfortable enough to take the wheeler. Had to stay safe to get on the plane to Mex on sat. cool

This year would have been the year to start a hovercraft ferry service on a few of the metro lakes grin

But seriously, it's too bad that this is happening. Just remember, it doesn't only happen to the ignorant. Anyone can go through, especially this year. With the exception of some Ely driving this past weekend, my truck is bench warming on shore wink

nice work bronzebrother, where do you find all these photos?

Thanks

Google mainly or news web pages.

Wheeler thru Pelican by Maple Grove the weekend of Jan 14. How much does it cost to remove a car or truck? I was told the wheeler removal was around $2200.

You can add a second to Prior. A red dodge full size pickup was towed off the bottom yesterday.

Someone sent me the story on the Prior Lake American website. They have pictures of the totaled truck coming back up through the ice.

You can add a second to Prior. A red dodge full size pickup was towed off the bottom yesterday.

Someone sent me the story on the Prior Lake American website. They have pictures of the totaled truck coming back up through the ice.

Ok. If you get the pics please feel free to add them here.

Tally thus far. Thankfully there have been no reported deaths related to these incidents.

Lake Riley

Petier Lake

Bald Eagle Lake - Vehicle traveling over an ice heave

Prior Lake X 2 - Dodge P/U plucked out as reported by Kyhl above.

Buffalo Lake

Lake Bemidji

Red Lake - Drove through and ignored marked areas indicating bad ice!!!

Gull Lake -

Rice Lake - Eden Lake Township - Truck partially submerged

Two and three years ago I posted a lot that I would take anyone to and from an icefishing spot or take them out fishing with me rather than see them put their life and equipment in peril (it is pretty easy to find me).

I quit posting that message because admins got complaints about it (on some website, not necessarily THIS website).

Regardless, for no charge, I have taken a lot of people out onto the ice and back to shore; also took a lot of people fishing with me (and contiue to do so). The reason WHY WE DO THIS and ARE SO ADAMANT ABOUT IT; we like to see people enjoy the sport that we love, but we don't want to see people's lives in danger for this recreational activity.

Lord knows, I sure as heck ain't doin' it to get rich. If that were the case, I'd have moved onto something else years ago.

Quote:
Red Lake - Drove through and ignored marked areas indicating bad ice!!!

That was not this week but more like 3 or 4 weeks ago. We are over 20 inches of ice most places now.

That was not this week but more like 3 or 4 weeks ago. We are over 20 inches of ice most places now.

Kind of wondered about that one.

Thanks BB for running with the idea! Haven't had time to check back until now. With only the short cool down, gotta imagine its pretty sketchy in the Metro for driving yet.

Authorities close Bald Eagle Lake after vehicles break through ice

By Sarah [email protected]

Posted: 01/24/2012 12:01:00 AM CST

Updated about 16 hours ago

The Ramsey County sheriff's office is closing another lake after two vehicles fell through ice in the last three days.

All vehicle access to Bald Eagle Lake in White Bear Township is closed until further notice, according to the sheriff's office. The sheriff's office is asking all people to stay off the lake as well.

Two vehicles fell through the ice on Bald Eagle Lake Jan. 22 and Jan. 23. There were no injuries.

Turtle Lake in Shoreview also remains closed and the sheriff's office is encouraging everyone to use extreme caution on all other lakes due to the warmer than usual winter weather.

the one tha went through on riley was a honda civic went through in deep water going over a ridge, was out there fishing sunday when it was pulled out, they had to cut the ice back along ways due to thin ice so be very careful out there, there was still open water sunday night

the one tha went through on riley was a honda civic went through in deep water going over a ridge, was out there fishing sunday when it was pulled out, they had to cut the ice back along ways due to thin ice so be very careful out there, there was still open water sunday night

Your username is very fitting for this thread. Lol. You can't sink when your a rubber ducky... Lol