• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cant believe how many people driving on the ST.CROIX river.

Bluka

Is it me or are people getting less intelligent on the St. Croix river when it comes to icew thickness and driving. There were lots of full size vih. on the ice today. I measured thickness from 8 to 14inch. We cant forget that this is a RIVER.lol

Agreed....I also don't understand why people feel the need to park two vehicles right next to each other?! Ice sure was poppin when the tahoe drove by eek I have to imagine many of the people driving out haven't done much exploring because there is a LOT of variance in ice thickness!!

i too was shocked and was waiting for something to happen! guess havent yet. prob wont ever drive on a river!

Ive driven on the st croix plenty of times in the past...but there was about 2ft of ice. I wouldnt be caught driving on it right now thats for sure. Somebody will drive in a bad spot and something will happen.

I measured 13" fairly close to the MN shore yesterday afternoon. One guy had a full size truck about 100yd from me. The few other groups on the MN side had all walked out from Bayport like me. Majority of the vehicles were by the big shanty town closer to the WI shore. I heard a couple big pops that made me look out for anyone who put their truck through the ice.

14-15 inches of ice where i was...give or take....but yeah some crazy people out there...had a guy with a full size truck dragging his big ice house right behind me...puckered up my "you know what" hole when the ice cracked right under me

Found 15" almost everywhere I drilled today. Saw full size trucks/SUVs out last friday/saturday. Drove out today. Just use a little caution/ try to stay on the beaten paths and you'll be alright. Personally don't feel that iffy about the river usually especially after seeing that many trucks out. Now if you want to do the trek from the park- that's you're own business. But not everyone driving out there is an [PoorWordUsage] like some people try to make it out to be(esp. on 15" of ice).

Turk, I've found 8inchs north of Bayport yesteday while trying to find new untounch access to the river as far as WOstate park. Theres iffy ice up there, carried a cheisl. with me. Nerves were on pins and needles,because there was no sign of anyone ever being there. the ice in Bayport is NICE

Smellson - we must have been very close to you. When that Tahoe came by (way too fast) water blew up our holes ahead of his passing and that one crack had me and my partner unzipping the portie fast - we thought something had happened.

You think that's bad... 2 years ago I was on the St Croix in front of Bayport and fishing on 6" of clear ice, with about .5"-1" of white crusty stuff on top.

There was one Jeep Wrangler out on the ice (which is pushing it imo), so some guy decided to drive his fullsize Chevy 1500 towing a converted camper trailer out onto the ice and right next my portable to ask how thick the ice was!!!

I was stunned and warned him was only 6", which is NOT ENOUGH. "Well I made it this far so it must be enough" he says.

WHAT A MORON.

we were out on bayport st croix driving on the river sat morning too. as long as you drive in bayport the ice will be fine. with the freezing temps we have had its all good. any further north or south of bayport I can't say. I've personally drilled from the king electric plant down close to the dam and it's drivable.

i havent done any evening fishing but for morning being there at 5am the action picks up around 7ish - 11:45am. we were catching channel cats, crappies, sauger & whitebass! what i recommend stay away from the crowd. we were right in the middle of the river... we were fishing about 28 to 31 FOW. Tips if your curious, as for jig head-tungsten weighted jig head color pink glow in the dark size 10 with gulp alive 1" lime green w/white minnow. it worked really good for the crappies and whitebass! my other buddies were using different jig heads with live crappie minnows and did ok too, but there action was not as productive VS mine. overall we did pretty good out there. when the action died down during noon we packed the truck and hit spot to spot. which wasn't bad either caught more fish from spot to spot. which is what I also recommend, when the bite is slow.

Turk nice to see ya on the ice last week and get a minute to chat, i have been finding 14 inches plus pretty much every where in the bayport area you should be safe use common sence and drive slow like 10 mph slow

Hey Blake how ya been? if you still have the number give me call sometime will have to hit the ice. I also seen the tahoe [PoorWordUsage] and he must of been doing 40+ when he went by me sunday.

Turk nice to see ya on the ice last week and get a minute to chat, i have been finding 14 inches plus pretty much every where in the bayport area you should be safe use common sence and drive slow like 10 mph slow

Blake,

Great talking to you too! The image you showed me was unreal!!! True river monster.

Been slow where I told you I was you guys doing alright in your spot?

Thanks,

Turk