• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

decoy advice?

mattyb1981

Hello. Just wondering what most of you guys use for bait? Live minnows, decoys, a combination of the two? If using decoys do you let them just sit there or do you give them some movement? Does anybody jig with spoons or other pike lures to bring them in? Yesterday was my first time out and I had a blast. I only had one northern come in and he came to a teardrop and waxie I was jigging for panfish. I then either completely missed him with the spear or he shook off, I couldn't tell but he looked to be ok when he took off and I came up with some weeds on the spear. Thanks for any tips! K, heading to little winnie with my wife this weekend so I'm hoping to have some luck and a little more knowledge before I get there.

i mainly use a 2 decoy setup sometimes i will run a live in there but more often just 2 wooden. Ill give them some motion every once in awhile

I run 2 decoys a live sucker and a fake decoy most of the time but Have been known to use the hillbilly spinner alot.

I do jig spoons I have also brought in pike and panfish mostly perch by jiggin a rattlen rap. I cut a hole and just site fished out of it on Mille lacs early ice and you would be amazed at how may fish come to the rattle sound and I have had pike inhale thae rap several times and then the fun begins.

I would have yo say my favorite set up is a live decoy along side a fake decoy though. I run the fake decoy on the left side because I'm right handed and thats the hand I throw my spear with it allows me to jig that shy pike into the hole if need be.

Good Luck Matty

Take lots of pictures and let us know how you did.

I almost never run a live minnow, usually two wood decoys. I jig my decoys a lot, probably too much. I change them a lot too, probably, no, definitely too much grin I think I would see just as many fish, if not more, if I went out to the shack with just one red/white decoy. But what fun is that grin

I jig a big spoon once in a while too. I don't have a hillbilly spinner for the spoon, I was going to borrow BassnSpears at the get to gator, but now he won't be there grin

I have had a lot of success with a watermelon colored spoon jiging it had the letting it sit with my mini teaser spinning it.

This year I started out with live decoy 12 inches or so and a fake decoy {red-white]. I had ok luck with that but now later in the season I have noticed just a red and white decoy is working better and they are coming in alot slower. I jig the heck out of it then let it sit for about 4 mins or so. It is all your personal prefrence and what you feel like playing with for that day.

I run mine like gordie does except my live decoy is on the left. I always have a live decoy down. I use a spinner at times if i'm not having any success jigging them in with my wood or plastic decoy.

If nothing seems to be working I pull everything out except my live decoy. I have had my best luck that way so far this year.

Not having speard for many years, wen me an my daughter were out, i grabed some jigs that might be interesting to see how they preform an the lindy rattlin flyer is wat brought in the pike that we speared. jig it up an it glides to of to the side, cool little jig.

My spear hole is about five feet wide so I put down a live and fake. Sometimes they come for live, sometimes for fake, sometimes they come right in the middle like they cant make up there mind.

Wow five foot wide spear hole. How big is your shack? I think bigger the hole the better if you have the room.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Have you ever read the history of SPAM! It's very interesting! 🤭
    • leech~~
      Welcome to the forum and thanks for the ice report. I'm sure more reports on other lake will start coming in as more folks brave the ice. 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... It is ice fishing time!  Some resorts (not all) have pulled out fish houses and it is game on.  Some ice trails are marked and open.  Check weight limits on each ice road as conditions can vary. Resorts who have fish houses on the ice will typically transport you out to their houses using light ice rigs for convenience and safety.   As we often say, ice conditions vary greatly on Lake of the Woods.  Some resorts have trails marked across Four Mile Bay out to fishing areas in front of Pine Island on the big lake.  Some resorts are not quite open as the ice where they go out still needs some time to thicken up.   Watch your favorite resort / outfitter social media pages for up to date info.   Work through resorts and outfitters on the ice, stay on the marked trails for safety, please don't exceed weight limits and drive slowly on the ice. Anticipation is high.  The early ice bite is normally very good!   Please remember to Keep It Clean, pick up everything around you and secure your garbage. On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is frozen up.  Some locals who know the river have been checking ice and ice fishing with some walleyes and saugers in the mix.  As ice thickens, more areas will become accessible. Ice conditions vary and on the river there is current, so much like the lake, we encourage visitors to work through a resort or outfitter for safety.   Up at the NW Angle... Resorts have been monitoring ice conditions and starting to stake trails.  They are not ice fishing yet, but the ice is looking good and some guides scouting for fish give the thumbs up.  Stay in touch with your favorite NW Angle resort for further info.   Driving through Canada to reach the Angle no longer requires COVID vaccinations or the use of the ArriveCan App (which is optional).   For those looking to access the Angle while avoiding customs, there are few options.   1.  When ice conditions allow, the snowmobile trail will be groomed and staked from the south shore up to the Angle. 2.  The Lake of the Woods Passenger service provides round trip bombardier service across the lake.   3.  Lake Country Air provides air service to both the south end and NW Angle.    
    • thefishingpublic
      Any update on ice fishing? Was out on Green yesterday and there was about 5" of ice from the launch. Didnt push it too far. Really slow fishing.    Anyone fished Ann lake in the past year? Update? 
    • Coleman
      You're not fishing too far from home I see.  I was going to pop a couple holes on Saturday to check the status, I'm on the other side of the point.  Did you mark any fish on those bumps?  
    • smurfy
      no friggin way i'd let them worthless friggin pelicans do that. i'd make me a life size leech lookin scarecrow!!!!!!!!!!!🤣🤭   just joshing ya leech!!!!!!!!!!🤗 but i seriously wouldnt allow that  to happen!!!!!!!!
    • Mike89
      seem then birds do that too!!!   it is interesting the way they herd the fish and swoop in on them...  
    • smurfy
      yep, like leech said, best asking and going through a resort on the lake. i dont know anyone that would rent out there own personal house to someone else.   google Winnibigoshish resorts you'll get a bunch. i personally like highbanks!!!!!!!
    • leech~~
      Welcome to the forum.  Those are some pretty specific questions that are best answered by the resorts on the lakes that rent houses. Let us know if you find any good deals! 👍
    • gimruis
      I have a story about Elk Lake.  Last spring after ice out, I was crappie fishing out there in one of those shallow back water areas that hold dozens of puny crappies.  I caught over 100 in a couple hours.  I went back a week later, and one of the land owners came down to his dock and told me that a couple days earlier, a flock of pelicans was in there gulping up crappies as fast as they could.  Literally.  He said they would herd them into a corner and then other ones would swoop in with their gaping mouths/beaks and suck em down like a vacuum.  They did this for 2 days straight until there didn't appear to be any crappies left in there.   He said he considered putting a halt to it because they are gluttons and he could tell it was going to make a sizable dent in the crappie population, but he let it go because it was just "part of nature."  Needless to say, when I was back there fishing the second time, I didn't catch a single crappie and I had caught over 100 a week earlier.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.