• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North shore?

stealth3350

Has anyone driven from south shore to north shore pullingahouse? The last two weekend we drove from rogers to westwind by lake.. We were allready called a few names lol..mi I know it was probabbly not safest idea but I wasnt drivin. And we made it with no problems.. Has anyone else ventured that far of th he roads.

Quote:
The last two weekend we drove from rogers to westwind by lake..

If you want to fish along Westwinds road why not just use Westwinds road?

Remember that if someone takes off across the lake and gets into trouble and calls the road they got their road pass from for help the people that have the road might not be too impressed that you expect them to come 10 miles across the lake to try and find you. A dead battery, stuck in a snowbank or a truck that will not start and you are miles from the road system you went on the lake from. It is a good idea to use the road that is closest to the area you plan on fishing in case you have any trouble.

That sounds like looking for trouble. Each road system has miles and miles of area to move around in...choose one and you can fish it all day, moving multiple times and fishing a wide range of depths, structure, etc... and be safe.

Yeah bettef safe than sorry. I plan taking the road to the north shore . I was just curiois if others do it

People go back and forth. It is up to them. Last Sunday night there was a guy sitting in Hillman's parking lot looking for help. He had gone out Westwinds road but the fishing was slow so he decided to drive across the lake to Roger's road which he might or might not have done because when he ran to shore for bait in the dark he discovered that he was at Hillman's. He had no idea where his house was. Westwinds road system? Roger's road system? Hillman's road system? Or someplace else?

Wow. Has happened to me long time ago.. My handheld gps has come in handy every wknd..something every fisherman should have on big lakes

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Just finding your way back to the break crossings in the dark is hard enough on the same road once past the reflector stakes. I used my GPS this last weekend just to mark the pine bough crossings! wink

Back in my younger days when we stayed at Marcy Alverane Cottages by the airport I think, we use to bring our portables out and come off late at night in all kinds of natsy weather after a hard day of fishing and beverages and would end up on the wrong road more than once. I'm a lot smarter now or maybe just older so now we don't leave the ice when we come up.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I'm a lot smarter now or maybe just older so now we don't leave the ice when we come up.

Or less beverages now? grin

I know without a doubt I wouldnt have made it back had I not had a gps and literally run into the house! Everything looks the same out there. Folllow the little blue line in my case.

It is amazing. I spend and average of 180 days a year on or in Upper Red Lake; you would think I would have it figured out...nope. I still leave mid lake structure in route for Waskish and still end up heading for the North Shore, Sunny Beach and other random locations. I often have my GPS to guide me, but I never go out on Red without my trusty $8.99 compass in my pocket. I don't know how many times that thing has saved my butt. Weather gets ugly or who knows why but GPS units don't always lock onto the birds, batteries die and electronics do fail. That little needle always points the right way without batteries or satellites.

I make the cross lake trip on my sled or wheeler just to check things out on the lake and I will tell you it can be a long and treacherous ride. Especially this year with all the thicker rough ice/ oil pan eaters across the lake. It takes a long time this year on a sled, it would be a long, slow pick through the ice fields with a truck.

Quote:
Folllow the little blue line in my case.

In your case mabr the little blue line turned into the yellow brick road leading to the land of OZ where there was a wishing well full of crappies. grin

We were up a couple weeks ago, without plowed roads, night travel is tough. I thought I was smart and marked the house with my Garmin app on the phone, All it would do was say, "Calculating Route" looking for roads to plot. The best method I found was use your trip odometer and like Jonny says, an old fashion compass.