• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So last year my 91 yr old grandpa ripped me a new one for not bringing him some smoked tullibee. In March, I decided to hit Winni and try it with some friends (first time i ever caught one). We fished for about 4 hours and absolutely crushed them (over 100). My questions are:

Are the Tullibee going to be using the same type of structure in Jan as they were in March?

Are they schooled up and biting agressively?

Does anyone think it would be possible to drive a 3/4 ton diesel crew cab and a 8*18 wheelhouse out about 6 miles in a couple weeks? If not, are there areas close to Highbanks to get them?

Is anyone catching them consistantly?

Gramps was grumbling about the walleyes from RED and wants some tullys. I better make him happy, he doesnt have much time left.

Really, nobody can comment on the bite at all? I guess I will just take my cash and go elsewhere.

I've never really heard of anyone specifically targeting tulibees out there, but I'm sure it could be done.

Probably have to burn through some auger gas to find 'em but there's a healthy supply of them in the lake. I actually hit the mother lode one time fishing the evening walleye bite on a hump in 24' of water. Probably caught 15 or so, but kept 6 or 8 to smoke and put the rest back.

A couple of years ago some guys were fishing the deep water 30-40' between Highbanks and the mid lake humps and the guy I talked to said they were having good luck with the tulibees.

Leech Lake gets hit hard at late ice for tulibees, I'd bet Winnie probably gets better at late ice too?

Brian

Really, nobody can comment on the bite at all? I guess I will just take my cash and go elsewhere.

I can tell you that last year the Tulibee fishing was outstanding. we had many groups pull out over 100 in an afternoon. some over 150.

I can also tell you that I had at least two groups last year ask me to put a house over a good tulibee bite.

Brian, you would be surprised at the die hard tulibee fisherman I have run into on the big lake. they helped save the day last year when the walleye fishing fell in the can.

I can also tell you that we took two heavy diesels out past zumers and the big island area two days ago without issue.

as to where to find the tulibees, and your attitude,find em your self. maybe take your suitcase full of money and look "elsewhere"

Calm down jiggles. I was just looking for a fast response. Didnt mean to make any big waves. I have seen that smart arse comments seem to get a response from people quicker. The area we fished last year was about six miles straight west from Tamarack point. My first time out there (around st pattys day). I am guessing in a twenty minute span we caught about 70 fish. It was solid from top to bottom. We were in about 33ft of water off a real sharp break. The area is just to far out there for me to feel safe to travel to. I will be bringing my gf and her daughter.

Does the bite get better as the year progesses? I definetly would like to get up there this year, but I am too chicken to go across the ice on my own. I was just kinda wondering if they were schooled up yet, or if there were any decent spots closer to highbanks.

seems to me last year the bite was good all season.

I can point anyone to areas where we caught hunerds of em.

I just want to hear back to hear how you did.

we measured 19 inches of ice tonight. you shouldn't have to travel more than a couple miles to get to them. maybe less.

my father inlaw smokes them for us and will so for others for a couple bucks a fish.

hopefully we will be able to whack them like last year.

oh, sidenote, we are saving pout at the resort for a pout feed near the first part of march. if you catch any you don't want, leave them near the entry door of the shop and we'll take em from there.

Word came down from the girls tonight. We are now going to Mille Lacs. cry First we were going to go to LOW, then it was Red, then it was Winni, last night it was to Leech and now today it is Mille Lacs. They want to be closer to home. I want to move up there and would leave tomorrow. Oh well, the sooner I get it out of the way the sooner I can come up with the boys.

I smoked the ones we got last year. I did a wet brine and then a couple hour smoke. I'm not lying, I could have sold those things for $10 a piece. They were awesome. Probably why my grandpa has been yelling at me to get back out there. I am going to target them on Mille Lac. Forget the walleye. I saw a video last year of Jeff Sundin doing a dry brine and would like to try that. They are awesome for pickling too.

Maybe the week after the superbowl I can get up there and try them from highbanks. I hope the snow holds off up there, otherwise I will have to get you to plow me out to the secret spot.

And for the pout. I would never let one get out of my possesion again. Caught two last year on LOW. Cut out the back straps and boiled them in 7up and dipped them in garlic butter. WOW! If people didnt know me they would think I am some master chef. Dont be surprised if you have pout theft going on now that broadcasted the drop zone for them. grin

Wow quite the down grade going to lacs! If you need I could sell you or your gramps some tullies. Or maybe sell ya some hints. Good luck!

jigglestick, i might have to get a hold of you later in the year. i'd love to get a bunch of smaller tullies to freeze for bait. do you get any around 10" +/- or are they mostly bigger smokers? i know, i'm probably the first guy in the world that wants smaller fish smile

• 4 weeks later...

just had a group out on tulibees and the caught buckets full. we will be trying different areas and I know I will be on them. this was "their spot" meaning they told me about it and are still fishing it so without their good graces I wont send anyone there. like I said we will be on them. I don't have time to email you. either call me or watch the reports. you can ask at the resort too. they'll ro their best to point you in the right direction.

Jigglestick,

I was able to plan a trip of guys from the cities... After reading about Tullibees and no much luck on Mille lacs this year, can you share some light on where can a guy try on Big Winnie.. We plan to hit it this coming up weekend (March 3rd & 4th) in seek of some tullibee action from High Banks resort.

Any starting location on where we should check and what too look for. Most of the guys will have flasher but with no experiencing fishing Big Winnie and being such a big lake, just dont want to be shooting in the dark..

Thanks

Nttn,I can give you some very good ideas where to look for toolys.

I picked one spot for a group who requested tulibees specificaly. they stayed with me last year and pounded them and were eager to get on some more.

we drove a plowed road until we found thirty feet of water and then went a little off road. I watched for an inside corner in 30 feet and they set up. when I checked with them the next morning they had 71. they set up at 6:30 pm and caught them until 10:00 pm which was a surprise to me and then caught the rest in the am before noon.

I moved another group there today and though there was a lull mid day, they were pounding them again by 4:00 pm.

if you do not find me, watch for 30 feet of water adjacent to a big area of deep water and with an inside corner. that will congregate the fish a bit more.

I wouldn't give any area more than a half hour unless it's producing. if you follow these tips you should end up on fish within a few tries.

I was using an orange swedish pimple with a treble and waxies on each hook.

good luck!

Jigglestick,

Sounds like a good plan to attack a new lake.

I'll keep the tip in mind when looking for area to target...

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

they remain active though I couldn't prove that this afternoon. I sat in a house over proven tulibee location and I never marked a fish. the wind and snow were making quite a ruckus out there though so I suspect the fish were just hole'n up till the front passed through.

over all, they have been pretty easy to find and quite cooperative to the bite.

we just canned our first batch of smoked tulibees and we also put up 7 quarts of pickled tulibees.

just talked to a friend who I introduced to the great world of tulibee fishing this year. he called a few days ago to ask for a recipie to smoke his fish and I wanted to know how they turned out.

he said they turned out great though they were a little to the salty side. not to worry he said, he had kept track of his ingredients and is going to adjust the salt for the next batch.

he said his wife was even enjoying them.

I am comming up with a group of guys next Friday morning. Hopefully the snow is all melted off the ice and the water is drained off into the cracks. We will be at Highbanks next Friday morning when they open up. Hopefully we will be able to fish for them in t-shirts. Might try to do some perchin too, but tullies are first on the menu.

• 10 months later...

Wow last post on here was from 3-8-12.

Anyone with Tullibee reports for Winnie? General area if possible please? No need to reveal exact locations.

I just read a post recently saying that they are starting to bite over deeper water. I have nevered fished Winnie before, but planning to sometime this year for sure unless I can find one closer to home since BSL seems to be a dead sea.

Bringing back memories........

Me & my Dad (a Winnie legend, who fished it A LOT since right after WW II to the mid 90's, not kidding) would go out in the 60's & 70's to net Whitefish & Tulibee.

We would take out the old 14' Alumacraft with a 1955 15hp Evinrude in early November from our Cabin at the 4 Seasons Resort and set the nets in 6' of water on the south shore out from where the Mississippi comes in.

We'd go out early in the morning to pull the nets and bring in loads of them! I still have the nets. I think I still have the one picture of full washtubs and he'd smoke them so well.

I never really say anything, but he would consistently bring in more fish year around than anyone else. Resorts launches and their spear houses would follow us around.

I still fish Winnie a lot, but never say much. He taught me so many "unique" ways to mark Bars without depth finders and so much more you wouldn't believe it.

"John", my Dad, is long past away, but the memories and all he taught me will live forever.

Any updated reports?

Is the limit on tullies 25? Or is it 50? I did not see any special regulations on Winnie for possession limit.

• 1 month later...