• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
tmg1brandt

Don Canney Leech Lake knives, cont.

tmg1brandt

Hi all,

Okay, so I just got my Leech Lake knife in the mail yesterday and cleaned three fish with it, and it was great, I was very impressed (and I'm not easily impressed). Today the blade is much duller than when it arrived, and tonight I cleaned another three walleyes in the size range of 17-19 inches and a couple of northerns. The knife did a very poor job today...by the time I got to the last fish I was about ready to go back to my old $20 fillet knife. Before I spent $100 on this knife I did a lot of research and read that the knife doesn't need to be sharpened very often at all. Today I did sharpen it with the ceramic rod I ordered at the same time, per the sales person's advice, but that didn't seem to help, and tonight I picked up one of those hand held rapala ceramic sharpeners with the cross sticks, and that didn't change anything either. Does anyone know of any reason why I can't sharpen it with an electric sharpener? Do any of you actually use a belt sander on it like I've read about? How do you sharpen your Leech Lake knife? At this point if I can't get it as sharp as it was when it arrived I'll have to send it back for a refund. Does anyone know how they are sharpened before they are sent out? Also, I just took an old knife from my cutlery set and sharpened it with the sharpening rod it came with, and it easily sliced through a tomato, but my new Leech Lake knife couldn't even cut into it..... frown

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Chad

delcecchi

Coould it be that the leech lake knife is harder steel so more difficult to sharpen?

tmg1brandt

Hi Del,

I checked into the carbon semi stainless alloy of this knife and that's what I read, but others have said to use just a few light strokes across the ceramic rod to sharpen it and that's all it should need, so I'm clueless. Like I added to my first email, the darn thing wouldn't even cut through a tomato...

Chad

thatoneguy

I would take it back to the place you bought it and see what they'll do for you - maybe you just got a rare bad blade. I've had my Leech Lake knife for almost two years - it has filleted a couple hundred walleyes and Lord only knows how many perch - and it's still super sharp.

tmg1brandt

Wow, that is just incredible. I can't believe how dull this thing is. That is what I'll do, call them to let them know I'm sending it back and I'll be willing to give another one a try. Thanks a lot for your input.

Chad

Jim Almquist

Not sure if you got some bad steel or what. I do not cut through bones with mine and that helps with keeping the edge longer. I use the same ceramic (Rapala)as you to touch up my knife and they work great. Keep running the knife through till you can feel that the edge is straight.

delcecchi

If for some reason it was dull, I don't think a few light strokes are going to make it sharp. From what I read, those knives must be heat treated to be pretty hard which would make them tough to sharpen.

They can be sharpened by a pro, or probably with a chef's choice type electric sharpener (don't know if it uses standard bevels). There are other mechanisms, like razors edge in ely sells, or the apex edge. A belt grinder with the right belt and a guy who knows what they are doing, or paper wheels on a bench grinder will also do it.

Since it is brand new, I might send it back. Could have been a bad heat treat or something too.

Down Deep

I've had a Leech Lake Knife for about 10 years. I got it from a charter captain in Alaska. It is the knife they use to clean all of their halibut and salmon. Over a season that would be 100's of big fish, maybe more. I like to use it on pike and walleyes, but I think it is too stiff a blade for panfish. I haven't had any dulling issues with it, but I don't cut through bones. I tune it up before and after each use with a good Cutco steele, and I occasionally spend some time running it over my diamond stone. I don't think I'd run it thorough a grinder like a Chefs Choice. They sure have gone up in price. I think I paid $20.00 for it.