• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Bluka

Catn in the metro

Bluka

Has anyone located a lake in the metro with good numbers of Cats. Tired of makeing the run to Horseshoe.

Ringtailhunter

I believe that the pond in Loring park has been stocked with channel cats for fishing in the neighbour hood. Never fished it, but observed the sign at the lake while on a walk with the wife. Thought about fishing it some time, but I can't afford nice shoes. Although now that you got me thinking about it, may be worth a try. I don't think I've seen any one fishing it.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/fin/kidsponds/loring.html

Bluka

Loring park? thats funny I know that6 the DNR stocks local ponds ,but I worry about the aeration systems that could make the ice weaker.Ill have to check it out

Ringtailhunter

Loring park? thats funny I know that6 the DNR stocks local ponds ,but I worry about the aeration systems that could make the ice weaker.Ill have to check it out

Hmmm, didn't think about aeration system. I think me and the boy will head down there with some minnows and grubs this after noon and see what it's like I'll report back later today.

DTro

Check this out:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/fin/catfish_lakes.html

I must say that I've tried a few of those in the winter with no luck.

I really think that the Sauk Chain up there has such a high population density and that it really shines over any other system in the winter. I'm also tired of the long drives just about every weekend. But it's the price you pay I guess.

So yesterday, a friend and I decided that we needed a change of pace and headed South about 90 miles to a lake in which I know is full of cats. It has been confirmed, by both people I know and also the DNR surveys. In fact, if I remember right the DNR net pulls were even higher than the lakes there up north on the Chain.

We walked a couple miles and drilled a hundred holes and never got a bite, yet we spoke with locals who say that in the summer it's a no brainer and cats are everywhere. They thought we were crazy for driving a couple hours to fish for cats through the ice. In hindsight, maybe they were right.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that just because there are cats in a body of water doesn't mean you will be able to catch them in the winter at the same rate as the Sauk Chain. There is something extra special about that system and I don't know exactly what it is, but I suspect the population is much higher than anyone could ever imagine and that is what sets it apart from any other lake.

But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try a few of those lakes in that link I posted. I would just set your expectations low going in and who knows you might be pleasantly surprised.

By the way, most of those stocked metro cats came from the Sauk Chain. wink

Bluka

Im with you on the long ride for such a AWeSOME experience. I just like to have my cake and eat it too. there is one lake in southern mn. that I frequent that has been good.Byllesby

Dragon Fish ll

I hit loring park last monday after hitting the river down town . not evan a nibble at loring. But did manage a largemouth bass and some sunnys on the river.

Ringtailhunter

Just got back in from Loring park. One crappie, one screaming woman and one hot Mpls cop!

Posted a summary in the ice fishing forum. I say fish it! I will get back out there later this week earlier maybe tomorrow morning to see if it is better.

Archerysniper

Just got back in from Loring park. One crappie, one screaming woman and one hot Mpls cop!

Posted a summary in the ice fishing forum. I say fish it! I will get back out there later this week earlier maybe tomorrow morning to see if it is better.

You only get to fish tomorrow if you don't keep me working all night wink If it turns out like last weeks shutdown when they didn't show up I'm punching you in the throat shocked

Ringtailhunter

You only get to fish tomorrow if you don't keep me working all night

Working, your like a slow moving train on a circle track. I was going to be a nice guy and let you put the valve in all by your self, but now I think you can use my dental tools to pick the holes open in the underside rim of that poor flushing toilet instead :p

Archerysniper

HAHA,you know me and toilets I break more then I fix. The vans warmed up gonna go jump in see ya in a hour.

Flaco651

During open water I've caught some channels on a few of the stocked metro lakes, but not through the ice thus far and I've tried a bit over the last couple years. I'll still try every now and then being I know there is some nice ones lurking in some of these lakes, but I know not to expect to ever catch numbers like on the chain.

Archerysniper

Golden Lake in Lino could be another to try,I know my friend has caught a few thru the ice their it was never a for sure thing their was never a consistency in catching them.

CAMAN

There is a lake near me that is part of the F.I.N. program and is stocked with kitties. I've never targeted them out of there but have gone looking for panfish and got nailed a couple times by something big. 2lb test and shallow weedy water doesn't help when fighting these things. I might have to go out and give them a try one of these days. Could be fun if I find them. I may just plan on it Wednesday morning. I'll let you know what I encounter.

DTro

Ive tried mccoll a couple of times too smile

CAMAN

Any luck?

Baitchaser

I tried Island lake in Shoreview a couple times over lunch last week. 4-6 inches of ice. Didn't get into any cats. got a couple crappie tho.That lake only gets to about 11fow at best. I am not sure how to pattern cats on lakes in the winter. I was using a white/blue macho minnow with half a minnow. Any suggestions? just looking for depth, lure, structure. Thanks.

popriveter

I've caught my metro, stocked cats on swedish pimples tipped with wax worms, just off the bottom. It's always been a welcome surprise while targeting panfish. When I adjusted techniques to target cats, nothing. Around the metro, I think we have to view cats as a bonus, not a realistic, primary target.

FishinCT

I'll second byllesby. Some friends have pulled up 25"+ fish there. I usually catch them around 14" or so. None of us target them so I would imagine you could catch some decent numbers if you tried for them.

mainbutter

Golden Lake in Lino could be another to try,I know my friend has caught a few thru the ice their it was never a for sure thing their was never a consistency in catching them.

I tried that lake three or four times for summertime cats two or three summers ago, and not only did I not catch cats, but I was kinda disappointed in the rest of the fish population.