• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

Speaking of music, the down and out reference was to a KMFDM song, Down and Out. That included a KMFDM/16 Volt(the shirt in the pic) show and shortly after that show my 1st walleye on a fly.

I was sexy at that time!!!!

Picture5822.jpg

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

You weren't kidding about the piercings! That's a lot of holes in your head... lol

Also been tying more of these crease flies. This has a pyrex rattle in it.

I hope these work, I spent a small fortune on cutters from River Road creations.

Maybe this looks like a golden shiner.

DSCN5043.jpg

Also more clouser oriented flies. A brown trout theme or Germany's flag.

Oh well. I hope the fish enjoy it. Brown trout, Germany!!!! Get it!!!

I believe thats where we imported them from.

DSCN5042.jpg

I tried out my Baitfish Emulator flies. They cast OK. You can feel that you;re casting a big fly, but it's not as bad as other big flies I've cast.

BTW - that stuff would make a great golden shiner fly.

Where do you buy the rattles for your flies?

The rattles are from Cabelas. They usually have a spring or fall fly tying sale, I stock up then.

I have some baitfish emulator, I really need to try it out. It reminds me of EP fibers/Congo hair. Pretty easy to tie with from what I can tell.

Also I've tied crease flies in 5 sizes and a dozen colors, haven't used em yet. The idea seams great. They sit right in the surface, not on top like a popper. I've had them out on many occations.

Wow guys. the hats, the flies... they look nice. I bet one could fund a Phish tour selling hats like that.

Might have to give the rattle flies a try here in the next few weeks... back in my spinning days (ok, so last year) all of my rattle-raps were productive later in the summer once the lake turned green.

Wow guys. the hats, the flies... they look nice. I bet one could fund a Phish tour selling hats like that.

Might have to give the rattle flies a try here in the next few weeks... back in my spinning days (ok, so last year) all of my rattle-raps were productive later in the summer once the lake turned green.

man.. it's been too long since i've seen phish. 2006 I caught a bit of the Trey Anastasio Band... Then I heard Shine and just about puked.. Hopefully Trey learned without the rest of the band... it's not Phish nor will it be anything remotely similar.. Though Trey with MMW was a hoot!

I will see my 20th show since 2003 in July smile They really came out of the break well, seems they sobered up and took some singing lessons (or maybe just sober, who knows).

Trey with MMW would be a great show. I was on a golf trip last time MMW was in town sadly... not too happy about missing that show.

Last weekend up at the cabin I was able to get two birds stoned at the same time. Brush the cavalier, and procure some nice ruby dubbing material.

I was surprised how well it actually worked.

Oliver Body Soft Hackle:

5b0bee21.jpg

then I tied up something pretty basic, but something I needed to replenish... good old Zebra Midge. With the forecasted winds this weekend I'm thinking there won't be much use for dries, so I didn't tie any up last night. I have enough to use in the event the BWO or Brown Drake shows up...

b594d6f8.jpg

1f4f60ff-1.jpg

Trailer Park Flash:

Hook: size 12-6 streamer

Head: Tungsten Gunmetal bead to fit (3.2mm, 2.8mm, 2.4mm have worked well)

Weight: Lead wire wrap

Thread: White or Pink (I use white 3/4 of the time)

Tail: Scrap Marabou (can use new marabou, but that's not in the spirit of the fly), sometimes I add a strand of UV Krystal Flash

Body: UV Ice Dub

Rib: Glow Ribbon

This pattern I am sure has been tied up before... but I don't care. I call it "trailer park flash." The name comes from... well, I used a lot of scrap materials when I was toying with the pattern, and was watching some Trailer Park Boys on netflix while tyin it up. There it is.

I've tied these up in size 12 to size 6, and have caught LM bass, Crappie, Sunnies, Perch, Pike, Bowfin, Walleye, and rock bass.

Nice use of scrap materials. I'm one of those guys that throws away most things, aside from some dry fly hackle. Marabou gets thrown in the bag if I don't use most of the quill though. I'll need to start working on saving material though.

I would post up what I've tying, but it's just some standard carp flies like SJW's Backstabbers, and carp candies, and some TeQueely's (Wooly buggers) for smallmouth. Nothing too impressive. I might tie up a few fun deer hair patterns tonight though.

I've gotten a couple variations of woolybuggers out lately. Mainly just different weights. I've tied up a few boat anchors for the river to get down to walleyes hopefully. It's begun, every year in the early summer I get on a walleye kick, so I figure I should at least get a fly rod involved laugh

Ted - Try out that Carp Carrot. It's my #1 producer and a super simple tie. I've tied up a few that are very heavily weighted for the ones that like to swim in the 4 foot depths on one of my lakes. Those are generally the bigger ones on that particular lake.

I actually fished one today. Unfortunately, just nothing was doing for us. Seems many of the carp are still spawning and just weren't very interested in we offered. I did snag a scale off a BIG carp today though. That's a partial victory, right? wink

I'd call it a won battle. I haven't even considered trying for carp yet. I've done this early in past years and it only ends in me being really, really frustrated. I spook fish after fish and when I get on one that looks good, it ignores everything that I do. I'll wait a few weeks before I get going on the carp.

Pretty much all carp fishing holds in store for me is frustration. It is nice to see the take, but only one of the few that I've hooked into this year has come to hand. Kind of a rough start to the carpin' season.

And on a side note, I noticed a big fugly gash right above my welded loop on my 5wt sharkskin line today. When I got home I thought I had an extra spool of it, but instead it was a 6wt spool. I don't even own a 6wt, so god knows why I have a spool of $80 line sitting unused in a box right now.... Anyone want to trade some 5wt GPX for 6wt Sharkskin? whistle

Run the 6wt. It will be fine. You're presentation won't be as delicate, but throwing bigger stuff will be much easier. Otherwise...if I had a 5wt GPX line worth trading, I would grin

I've had the same problem on my 6wt SS line. Looking it over, it was a crack all the way through down the the braided core. But, since the core is what really gives the line it's strength, I'm not too worried. If you want, you can create your own loop at the end. I fold the line over and wrap it in GSP thread and then give it a good coating of hard-as-hull or what ever cement you use on your flies. I used this on a few of my older fly lines before and it's held up fine on bass and pike.

How long have you had the ss? You could easily sennd it to SA too... Just say you recently got it wink

Last weekend up at the cabin I was able to get two birds stoned at the same time. Brush the cavalier, and procure some nice ruby dubbing material.

I was surprised how well it actually worked.

Oliver Body Soft Hackle:

5b0bee21.jpg

then I tied up something pretty basic, but something I needed to replenish... good old Zebra Midge. With the forecasted winds this weekend I'm thinking there won't be much use for dries, so I didn't tie any up last night. I have enough to use in the event the BWO or Brown Drake shows up...

b594d6f8.jpg

Nice looking flies... Though its not usually birds getting stoned when flies are being tied at the bench wink

Run the 6wt. It will be fine. You're presentation won't be as delicate, but throwing bigger stuff will be much easier. Otherwise...if I had a 5wt GPX line worth trading, I would grin

I've had the same problem on my 6wt SS line. Looking it over, it was a crack all the way through down the the braided core. But, since the core is what really gives the line it's strength, I'm not too worried. If you want, you can create your own loop at the end. I fold the line over and wrap it in GSP thread and then give it a good coating of hard-as-hull or what ever cement you use on your flies. I used this on a few of my older fly lines before and it's held up fine on bass and pike.

I actually just got the SS sold for the same price as new GPX. Made money on the SS, and upgraded to a less noisy line. That SS drives me nuts on the quiet days.

However, for now, I did retie the welded loop with some GSP and hard as nails. I'm hopeful that it will hold for the time being. Was just curious if there was a better method out there for doing it.

Eric - The line is about 8 months old I believe. Not old, but has been used quite a bit.

Well... I dusted off the old multi purpose coffee grinder from college and started messin around with some dubbing - tryin to blend some colors, add flash, etc.

Looks like something Scott Tennorman would add to his chili...

BlendedDub.jpg

Tied up a bunch of these DDH Leeches. Pretty simple pattern, all whopping 4 steps are below the pic.

DDHLeech.jpg

1) Tie on chain eyes 2) tie in marabou tail 3) Dub body using a dubbing loop 4) Finish, brush, fish.

Those looks nice, especially the black ones.

I've been doing it the old fashioned way, by hand. I've got two squirrels and a snowshoe pelt in the freezer waiting for the clippers. The freezer dries them out really well after about 2 months, so they are really easy to work with.

Watched a guy hook up with a rather large pike at a local lake just casting a bluegill rapala off a pier. I was inspired. I don't have all the colors I want, but the pattern should do alright I suppose.

GillFinished.jpg

GillFinished.jpg

Nicely done...this one might mimic a greeny pretty nice, interested in seeing this pattern develop.

I've got a little update on the flies I tied with circle hooks.

I had 4 fish hit flies with circle hooks, 1 pike (right next to the boat) and 3 smallmouth. I hooked none! I don't know if it's me or the hooks. I suspect they don't work as well for flies as they do for live bait. The fish seemed to spit the flies too quickly to allow them to turn and run with them and allow the hook to function properly. All I know is that unless someone can give me a case where they had good success with them, my experiment is over. I'll be sticking with more conventional hooks.

I was going to go fishing last night. Seriously. Then 'bamski calls me and says he's near thorne. Well cripes. So i stopped in. Picked up some stuff I've been searching around for, specifically glow flashabou, and some golden pheasant feathers. Of course I found a lot of other stuff too.

tied up a few patterns last night when I got back... Bunch of Pass Lakes (wet), and a few Green/White Clouser patterns with some Glow Flashabou mixed in. I'll upload some pics of those tonight.

4894f9e6-1.jpg

9982454c-1.jpg

sharp looking flies. i'm almost convinced to give up on streamers for a minute and put my focus back on detail...almost.

I am not out of flies anymore, and have watched most of the 4th season of the Wire this week. Manged to catch a fish or two as well.

Kermit Snoopin Around:

f9c0d87a-1.jpg

I Messed with Omar:

cafc751d-1.jpg

Monticello Minnow (it glows):

04ed2132-1.jpg