• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

That pattern looks might familiar! Looks good man. How did you tie the rubber to the chenille?

That pattern looks might familiar! Looks good man. How did you tie the rubber to the chenille?

I doubled over a bit of the chinelle over the rubber and tied it up quick... picked up Quilting needles and tied it around the needle.. glued it up and slipped it off.. worked well.. yeah learned a bit from looking at that guys setup at the show smile

P1060232.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing on my end. I need to lose a few before I tie anymore up blush

I've got my MT trip scheduled for late July. I'll hit the vise up towards late June/early July when I have an idea what what's going on out there. Things usually change the week before and I end up tying a whole new set of flies

I'm headed out there mid july. Once I find a camera I can post up what I have been tying for montana.

Anyone been tying anything up lately for the Fly Fishing Challenge?

I got a couple orders i placed last night.. picked up some Congo Hair and other materials from FTD.. we'll see how it works out.. figured i've spent more than $16 on stuff i don't use.

PS: if anyone is interested in about 8 packs of craft fur.. let me know.. i'll sell it off cheap

ichmesir, I love using congo hair, and you can't beat the price. They are fun flies to tie IMO.

If you haven't used the material before, and intend to tie baitfish style patterns, the thing I hear everyone say and has worked best for me is: "keep your patterns and clumps sparse. Try to tie your first one TOO sparse.

We'll see if I can get any bass or pike on my EP/congo flies, but other people seem to do well!

I'm headed out there mid july. Once I find a camera I can post up what I have been tying for montana.

if you're looking for a rough and rugged waterproof camera.. i suggest looking into the Panasonic Lumix.. i have one.. dropped it on rocks.. toss it around.. takes a beating and keeps on taking pictures

Giving my elbow a couple days of rest here.. so i'm sittin at the desk experimenting...

hopefully this'll get me into a carp or two...

P1060266.JPG

Twist on the first post more aimed towards some crappie im still looking for..

P1060268.JPG

Tied this one the other day hoping it would find me some gills.. but the bass actually pounded it more than anything

P1060263.JPG

It's a technique called spinning. I vary the amounts, and angles that I put the deerhair onto the hook. It's a VERY time consuming fly to tie and is an acquired skill. Mine are nothing compared to what other people can tie. It's incredibly messy, but a TON of fun.

A few tips I've learned from trial and error. Use STRONG thread. 210 minimum, but GSP or kevlar is the best. Also, belly hair seems to be the best quality to tie with. Make sure the deer hair you get is of the highest quality possible. Fragile deer hair jut sucks to tie with. Half hitch between new clumps, and super glue the half hitch. You'll be thankful later.

Here's a video that demonstrates the process.

Well... Finally picked up a vice and started tying here (I ended up building rods this winter instead of tying flies... anyway)

Nothing too fancy so far

My first tie, needs no explanation I believe:

a7ef0c80-2.jpg

Little variation of a SW Wisc/SE MN fly, this one was my 6th fly tied up (I used chenille, but I think I like pink dubbing better):

3e002f90-1.jpg

Prince Nymph:

c2b85e1b-1.jpg

My own little twist, I'm calling it a dl squire nymph. Took the idea of prince nymph, pheasant tail, and then went a little more amitious on the hackle. No clue if this will catch anything but man it's cool loking.

a8cb4e4f-1.jpg

And in hopes of a smallie or two... the ambiguous crawdad bugger dealie i call "Pat" (olive brown marabou, brown chenille, brown hackle, Pearl and UV krystal flash in tail)

9ac0a2c7-1.jpg

Wow this is a lot of fun. I tied up a nice looking deer hair caddis last night just before callin it a night, but ended up slicing the thread before I finished it... can't wait to get back at the vise and try that one again!

looks good... a little tip.. when tying hackle.. stroke the feathers back and tie in the tip first.. you'll wanna lay the hackle with the spine on the body.. that way when you wrap it tightly.. the barbules(or whatever they are called) will spike up and make for a cleaner looking hackle.. i too had problems with this when i first stared tying.. only time i tie from the base of the feather is when i'm using partridge and small wet hackles like hen hackle

Looking good so far.

One thing that helped me when I was starting out. Compare the length of your tails to the length of the body of the fly. Most of the time, the tail should be no more than the length of the body, many times it's 1/2.

Looking good so far.

One thing that helped me when I was starting out. Compare the length of your tails to the length of the body of the fly. Most of the time, the tail should be no more than the length of the body, many times it's 1/2.

Heh, thanks for the tips. I try to do that, the problem I have it seems is my aim, not the actual measurement, can't seem to tie it on the right spot. I'll get it though.

Ich, thanks for that... for whatever reason I've started reversing how I began wrapping the hackle in... now that you've mentioned this I hopefully will keep it in mind.

At night after everyone is in bed, I tye!!! Mostly pike flies. I have alot more patterns if people are interested. Also trying to find the perfect shaped deer hair head.

DSCN4871.jpg

These are a minnow pattern with a buckshot ratle in them. DSC_0035.jpg

All my pike patterns have rattles in them.

DSCN4878.jpg

DSCN4875.jpg

DSCN4863.jpg

Last but not least.....poppers and crease flies!

DSCN4869.jpg

Well... the first fly I tied up last night was hands down the worst fly I've ever tied. Imagine a white sea urchin that was shoved into an olive, then imagine both died from a nasty case of VD. That's kinda what it looked like.

We don't need to show that one to anyone.

3bdaeefa-1.jpg

Probably too much krystal flash on this one... still going to put it in the box though smile (Oh. I trimmed the tail a little more and cleaned up the dubbing after the pic)

9d318c24-1.jpg

Those green ones look like serious bluegill crack to me laugh great ties everybody!

I'm probably going to break out the vise for the first time in over a week today. Off of work and going to rain. I'm brainstorming right now, something baitfish-y with rabbit is the plan.

I put up a pattern in the old Fly Patterns thread that used zonkers and marabou in a baitfish pattern. Check it out, it's a pretty easy and effective tie.

Yeah I really like that one! Unfortunately today I don't have the right materials to duplicate it right. Here's what I came up with today though!

dscf2391r.jpg

Tail of whatever (In these variants, some I use rabbit strip, others I use FTD "silver widow" in olive)

palmered red crosscut rabbit for gills

another color of palmered crosscut rabbit for the head

In the ones with straight cut rabbit for the tail, I tie down the straight cut just behind of the palmered red, fold it back, tie in and palmer the red, and then fold the original straight cut over the top of the red crosscut and tie down in front, and then tying in the color of crosscut rabbit for the head.

The ones with the FTD silver widow for the tail, I just tied it in as a single fold-back fiber tie in.

Those look pretty nice!

I love the action that rabbit strips give and their versatility in use. The thing I don't like is how much water they hold. After a while they are literally like casting a wet sock!

Going to tie up a few different mouse patterns to try out. I'm thinking this might be just the thing I need to get some trout motivation back.

Here's the first one. Not real pretty by any means, but from my initial studies, it would appear it is more about the silhouette and water that it pushes more than anything.

P4130117.jpg