• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

Oh yeah! Bass were nailing schools of minnows today.. and the meat whistle.. figured i'd toss something more appetizing than the trusty meat whistle at them and see how much bigger they can get laugh I'm trying to imitate 2 minnows.. the back one being the smaller of the two... i tossed some beads in the middle for flash and sound.. held together by 30# braid... I'll also get to break in the 9wt! It's all here and ready to rock!

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

It's been all clousers and pike bunnies for this guy. fishing has been gooooooooooooood for me lately. Anyone been getting into some warmwater fishing yet?

The water level is up a good foot where I was fishing and the bite has slowed. I haven't caught a perch since the water came up. I'm now waiting until another spot of mine turns on. I just need the ice to recede a little more and I might be back in business.

I've tied a few pike streamers lately. I think I have enough flies for a lifetime. 4 tackle boxes of loose pike flies, 3 boxes full of trout flies and a box filled with carp flies. It's time to fish.

Our water levels went up also and the fishing really slowed. It's been tough to really give it a fair shot though since the darn wind has been blowing hard the last few days. I got beat up again today when I was out on the river looking for bass/pike.

You're in much better condition than I am with the flies. I have to constantly tie warmwater stuff. However, I don't think I'll ever need another trout fly for 5 years. I just put away about 600 nymph and dries into boxes the other night.

I did notice that the big C has a 30% sale going on almost all of their tying supplies (even the hackle that they have), so if you need some supplies it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick some up.

I was there today but avoided the fly fishing section for just that reason. I don't need any more tying stuff, but I somehow walk out of Cabelas with $50 worth if I wander over there.

I did tie up a couple bunny flies on Saturday. I basically followed the meat whistle pattern, but added flash, no legs, and brought the bunny strip on top of the hackle and the dumbbell eyes. I like how it stands up over the eyes when you cinch id down before and after them. These were in pink/white. We'll see how they go.

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I was checking my email and saw the special. $2 shipping too, which is nice. The downside was that I'm now $92 poorer.

great waters is next week... I need to stay away from that sale I'll get myself in enough trouble up there...

I should have stayed away from it, but some of that stuff was too good to pass up on. I'll have to really limit myself next weekend. My main reason for going is to listen to the speakers anyways.

My main reason for going is to listen to the speakers anyways.

we'll see how strong your willpower is if they have the clearance bins of whiting hackle for 15 bux a cape like they did last year smile

Good thing I get paid just before the expo then..... Though I too am hopefully just going to listen

@OnAFly... How much of your supply cache is actually needed supplies... I know about 70% of what I got is pure "ooo let's see how this is"... If curiosity don't kill the cat.. it'll definitely kill the fly tyer ha!

These two patterns landed me a handful of pike today...

P1060219.JPG

P1060220.JPG

And my first slider.. yet to be put to the test...

P1060218.JPG

Like those poppers a lot ted! I got 2 packs in the other day... Just figuring out what I wanna do with'em.. they aren't cheap... Got some in bream size too for summer pannies

I'm painting the bream size right now. Seriously, these things rock. Only downside is the expense. I'm having a good time playing with paint though. Last time I used acryllic paint I was still watching the Sesame Street. Good times! I'm going to order some real big ones to tie up for pike. I think the ones I posted might work because they're relatively long, but a bigger foam head might be nice too. Shouldn't be but another week or two til the pannies are shallow. Getting pumped!

itchmesir - That's the thing, I have so much stuff that is pretty much used for one fly. I need to stop buying that kind of stuff and try to find materials that will fit into lots of flies.

Clearance whiting capes? That could get ugly. Schlappen is bad for me too. When I find good schlappen, which isn't very often, I usually buy a few packs.

What I need get on top of is shaving the fur off the snowshoe hare pelt I've got in the freezer. I might try to dye it dark orange first. I'll probably do the red squirrel pelt in there too. My wife wasn't too happy when she found those while looking for some steaks grin

Yes sir. Caught a few this afternoon before a brief shower moved in. After that, I went to painting poppers. These things are time consuming. The pike are getting more and more aggressive with these water temps starting to creep up.

You ought to get that canoe of yours out so we can go fish the Wabasha area.

I'll probably have to take you up on that. I need a break from trout. Carp arent in the shallows yet and I've fished trout basically every weekend since sep. Im pretty burnt out on the pink lines. are you fishing from shore at all or only out of your kayak?

I hear ya.. Trout has burned me out.. mainly the fact that the selection of streams that are open right now are ok... I'd much rather be fishing other streams at this point... once april 1st rolls around.. i'll probably head back to pounding the streams a bit

I've been doing all shore fishing... I need to get up to Wabasha.. I love the pike road... and also that backwaters area on the way to sand prairie is really nice too.. there's actually a ton of great places to fish in that area. lived in wabasha for a year.. drinking and fishing is about all that city is good for

are you fishing from shore at all or only out of your kayak?

I've been doing both. With the way this wind has been the last few days, kayak time has been limited. It can't stay windy forever though.

Anyone here do any work with balsa wood poppers? Thinking about trying it out. Figured I wouldn't need much aside from a dremel and a block of wood. Might be fun to try out anyways.

Drink more wine.. then you don't have to worry about buying balsa.. you'll have plenty of cork.. not to mention corks are already half way a popper.. just gotta bevel the end.. no trying to shape something round

Lol, balsa wood is cheaper than wine. I might pick up a slab of it just for something fun to try. I've got the dremel and exacto knives, so it's just the wood. Hobby lobby sells em in blocks that are 2"x2"x 20' for like $5

You guys are lucky to have that year round fishing opportunity so close. I'm stuck waiting for the panfish to move shallow and pike to open up. Then I'll have the boat out and I can start up the carp fishing too.

Yeah we definitely are. I've only lived in Winona for the last year. I don't take for granted how lucky we are to live on the border. The open water fishing never has to stop over here. With all this rain in our forecast, I might be forced to take a break for a few days though.

I need to be forced to take a break before i blow out my elbow... I just ain't learning that I should stop casting when I have to use my fighting butt to land a 20" pike because my elbow is too sore to hold up the rod proper

@OnAFly.. at least you have a boat.. I'll trade you.. you can live down here.. i'll take your boat.. and move laugh

Haha, thanks, but I'll keep the boat smile I just have to get through the next few weeks until the docks get put in, then I'm back in business. I've got plenty to do around the house between now and then anyways.