• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

As I started to finally do some much needed house cleaning I had to move some fly stuff around.

Big mistake.

Found my tequeely fly stuff. Not much cleaning was accomplished.

Tungsten bead. Little lead wrap.

PC011743-1.jpg

Yellow/Black/Yellow 'bou tail, copper chinelle body, round rubber legs (6, tied on in pairs of two. Works nice if they're stuck together like so)

PC011745-1.jpg

wrap copper body, split legs. Dab a bit of cement on the head. While drying, take hot sauce. Spread liberally over burrito. Consume.

PC011748.jpg

Thanks, yep. You're 100% right on that one.

Pike, walleye, drum, smallies n largies... crappies... bullhead, dogfish.

I think that's the limit of fish I've landed on a tequeely, but there could be more.

Ugh! I'm sick of waiting around for my new HMH vise to get here. For someone that is as impulsive as I am, waiting for the UPS driver is a real bummer. The new vise should be here soon though. I'll put it through a little test drive this once she arrives. Maybe I'll throw up a new pike streamer pattern I've been working on.

I hear ya... I hate the wait when you know it's coming that day... could be a noon delivery.. could be 5pm.. ya never know.. you can always call UPS and find out where the driver is and meet up with him wink A buddy of mine did that once so we could get out on the water faster haha

BTW.. really sick of FedEx.. they are like the down syndrome of delivery services.. first it takes them forever to get anything anywhere.. and then to top it off.. they let USPS finish the deliveries more often than not.. which adds another day or two to the already long process.. nothing like watching an item sit for 3 days in Bloomington before it finally makes way to Winona

Tick tock, tick tock. I'm too impatient for this. I need immediate gratification!

I too dislike FedEx. I had a new business printer I'd ordered a few weeks back when my old one shot craps. It was shipped via 1 day, but it didn't get dropped off until 8pm the next night. Generally I assume that deliveries will happen within the course of a normal business day. Luckily, now I know better than that.

Well the vise arrived last night around 8 pm. Didn't get a chance to tie on it yet, but it looks like it will do the job.

I also finally got around to ordering my winter supply of fly tying hooks. About $150 worth of hooks and beads ought to be enough to get me through the next few months. Allen FF had a nice deal that you could pay $100 for a $150 gift card. Worked out pretty well. Plus I scored 3 free fly boxes, which was nice.

Looks like I'll be cranking out some serious flies over the next few months!

I lurk here from time to time, but don't think I've ever posted here. Perhaps I should get involved. I love fly tying, and have often tied flies that I know I'll never fish, especially pretty streamers, just for the sake of tying.

Anyhow, lately I've tied some scuds, black wet flies, foam beetles, and dark dun flymphs. I'm now tying PT's, but not making them the "normal" way with peacock herl. I'm tying them closer to Frank Sawyer's original way, with a narrower profile.

I've been re-reading Oliver Edward's book "Flytiers Masterclass", and he really focuses on getting the right profile for the fly you're imitating. That glob of peacock herl on the normal PT just doesn't fit the profile of a baetis nymph. Edwards describes the profile as "indian club", gradually tapering from head to tail. And short tails, not like the ones I usually tie that end up being half the length of the fly. wink

This is a PT tied by Mrs. Frank Sawyer, wife of the originator of the Pheasant Tail nymph, so presumably as close to the original as one can get.

pheasant_tail_nymph.jpg

And here is a video from the 1950's of Frank Sawyer tying his PT (no sound).

If you're not familiar with Oliver Edwards, he is an awesome tyer, and "Flytiers Masterclass" is a very excellent book on tying realistic flies, but keeping them pretty simple. I don't necessarily follow his instructions step by step, but have adopted many of his methods into my own flies. The book is out of print, but if you keep your eyes open on the big internet auction website it comes up periodically. I just checked and one is available now. I highly recommend it.

Winter and I don't get along very well. Just a fact. Where i grew up, winter was mostly cloudy.

But I do like ice fishing, and figured I might as well try to catch most of my ice fish on flies this year.

I've used some bead head nymphs before for sunnies, but I have a strong preference for horizontal jigs, so I've eliminated vitually all virtical jigs from my box. I've tyed up a bunch of jigs like these ones on 1/80 oz gold and silver jig heads, so they will basically be bead head nymphs with a larger "bead." I'd think any of the standard trout nymphs would work. I like the Euro Larva idea a lot. I may tie some more with peacock herl bodies, since it's such a good color for panfish. These ones are Zug Bug, Pheasant Tail, Pink Squirrel, and Killer Caddis.

IceJigs102012a-1.jpg

IceJigs102012a-1.jpg

Nice lookin ties there.

I need to start looking a little for some nice micro jigs to start tyin on. I too prefer the horizontal presentations for winter panfish.

Ugh.. I hate looking into my fly box and noticing I need to tie some PNs.. I really loathe tying them.. When I don't want to tie them

Nice ties dude. I'm planning a weekend of tying and a Breaking Bad marathon, unless I decide to sneak down to Iowa tomorrow. This is a few days in a row now of my wrist not bothering me too much. So I feel like I need to go give it a test run on the 3 wt just to see if it's up for it. If not, I'll go see if any of those deer hunters feel like sharing some bucktail with me. smile

No fishing today. Stayed up too late, and would have got a slow start to the day. I opted to get some work done instead.

Stayed up late last night painting some popper bodies and watching Breaking Bad. That show effin rocks! Another layer of paint and they'll be ready for some materials

PC080191.jpg

I just came home from Walmart and I happened to stroll through the Christmas isles and found myself some silver flash. 1000 18" strands for $.77 is hard to beat. I bought 8 boxes out of their remaining stock of about 15. I went to every other store in town looking for other colors, but came up with nothing. Apparently it's just too "old fashioned" anymore. I'll tell you what though - Walking through a store with 8 boxes of Christmas Tinsel gets you a LOT of funny looks. One old lady at the check out said to me "Wow, you know you don't need that much for your tree, right? Just one box is plenty." I chuckled and said that I was stocking up, just in case. Imagine what she would have said if I was to bring up the entire remaining stock!

It's really hard to tie flies and watch breaking bad... I think I'd avg 1-2 carp flies per episode... maybe.

Ich, those hot wire pn's are nice lookin.

I alternated between standard PN's and these little ice flies I've been tyin. (The flex-floss here can also be used if you forgot you didn't have any biot and wanted to tie up some PNs)

PC091765.jpg

Flex-floss is great stuff. It makes for a very buggy leg on larger flies.

Itch - I like your take on those wire PNs. I might have to play around with those.

They work great.. I have a couple streams where they are one of my go-to patterns... good for streams with a heavy stonefly population.. those ones are tied on #12.. they get down fast..

I haven't been tying much.. But thanks to Ted I now have a fresh order of supplies on the way to tie up a ton of carp flies laugh

Did anyone else get that $15 gift card from JStockard? That was a nice little surprise. Sadly, they still suckered me into spending $20.

Yup.. A day late.. As I ordered the night before.. But mine was only $10... Thankfully it basically paid for a couple items I forgot to order..

• 3 weeks later...

Latest musky creation. It ended up being rougly 11" long. I like it, but think it needs more pink and less pearl. Was just kind of flying by the seat of my pants. Next up for the vise is a single Beauford.

Materials:

Hook:3/0 Daichi 2461 (3x long)

Body: Bucktail (white/pink)

Wing n' Flash - Pearl

Flashabou - silver, holographic silver

Krystal Flash - Pearl

Hackle: Natural griz

Head: Senyo Lazer Dub - Pearl

Eyes - Large real eyes

Pattern ended up being rougly 11" long. I like it, but think it needs more pink and less pearl. Was just kind of flying by the seat of my pants. Next up for the vise is a single beauford

PC290204.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience using the Fish Skull articulated shanks? The more I get into tying flies for toothy predators, the more attractive they become.

Looking good!

Where did you happen to find those 3/0 daichis?

I've looked at thos fish skull articulated shanks and here are my thoughts. the big ones are only 2 inches which makes them a touch on the small side for the big streamers IMO. But, Im still very tempted to get some to use as a middle shank in a double articulated fly. My next question is how soft the steel is. Im afraid the big boys might bend em into a pretzle.

You know... those Daichi's I had forgot about and buried in a box of stuff that I don't use. I picked them up a few years ago at The Fly Angler for some massive buggers, but never used them.

My thoughts are relatively the same as yours. But I've been interested in them for some triple articulation flies that would go really big. Musky stuff for sure, but possibly some smallmouth stuff too.

That's a nice lookin fly right there.

can't seem to get motivated to ready up the ice gear for some reason.. So here's a sample of some recent ties of mine.

xmas sale tinsel UV baitfish

PC271822_zpsfe9c66f5-1_zps0f32438b.jpg

pass lake-ish wet fly

PC291833_zpsb1b21f4c-1_zps6a14aa03.jpg

I forget the name of this one.

PC281828_zpsbedcd0f3-1_zpsfe338662.jpg

Hares ear soft hackle... w/ PT

PC281830_zps4d03195b-1_zps63487d37.jpg

North Fork Special

PC301856_zps0a727a1d.jpg

Shrimp... probably not a bad carp fly

PC151772_zpsdbc4e720.jpg

Probably going to pick up some BBQ and start tying up some dries. It's been a while, thinkin I need some practice...

That's a nice lookin fly right there.

can't seem to get motivated to ready up the ice gear for some reason.. So here's a sample of some recent ties of mine.

Thanks, nice flies yourself.

But seriously, forget the ice gear and just come down here and do some trout fishing. There's a couch here anytime you need to crash.