• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Timberwolves 2011-2012

Scott M

We really need to get a shooting guard on our team soon. We would be playoff caliber if we even had average talent at the wing. There are some names floating around out there, that I think could be had. They may as well do a trade to get someone good now, and dump a player or two that their contract is up after this season (Beasely, AR). Assuming they would be getting one out of free agency this offseason anyway, considering we dont have a 1st round pick this year.

I figured we would start the first month of the season a little below 500, being we had a tough first week of the season, and with a new coach, a new scheme, and no time to get the bugs worked out. I think we will have a strong second half, and we may creep into the 8th seed, if not we will be close. Next year, if we can fill our SG need, I think we could even win a series in the playoffs?? To be honest, we have a good team now, that can run with the best teams out there, but they are just lacking a little out put from a scoring position, get it filled, and we could contend now.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• Scott M

• schmitty3

• ozzie

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a fine avatar you have da_chise........ grin

I agree we need a 2guard and one with some size. Not sure what we could get for Beasley or how many teams would be willing to take a risk on him but I wouldn't mind getting rid of him either. According to Sid on CCO this morning Ridnour is just as good as Kobie Bryant Lol. Everyone in the studio busted out laughing.

haha agreed, i really think we need to get rid of Beasley, look at how they are playing without him its kind of nice, maybe get some draft picks or something

I will be at the game again tonight, thanks to Kevin Love!

It looks as though Webster may get a few minutes tonight, and JJ should be back tonight as well. Miller should be getting some minutes next week sometime, wich would be great to get some production from the center for once. Hopefully Webster can help us with the lack of scoring from the wing, at this point, anything is an upgrade. I would sure like to see Darko not be a starter anymore, but I dont think Miller will be contributing starter minutes this season, or more then likely, never. But just to have some true center in there that isnt afraid to get his toes stepped on, or afraid he might bump into someone under the basket will really help, especially a player that can score. If Webster can come back and play like he did last year, it will be a huge improvement over anything we have gotten out of our so called SG this season.

Although playing small ball with 2 pg in the game at the same time has been keeping the other teams on their toes, and we have been scoring much better because of it.

Go Wolves!

First time chiming in on this thread. Biy its nice to watch baskettball again. I do like the T pups, but it has been a messy more than a few years putting up with them. Anyway, haven't been this excited about a bball team since KG, Spreewell, Cassel, etc...I like Ricky, but he needs to get better at shooting the ball. I love Beasley, but he needs to get healthy, I love the littel white kid (rubert?) great shooter, and Love, well dont even have to comment on him. He is a special player! Go T wolves!!

Quote:
According to Charley Walters, the Timberwolves will offer Kevin Love a four-year, $60 million contract extension prior to the January 25 deadline.

Take the report with a huge grain of salt. The $60 million is a lot less than a max extension, and it's possible Love may not be so fond of the offer. Love could hit the market as a restricted free agent in the offseason or choose to opt in for the 2012-13 campaign before becoming an unrestricted free agent the following year. The Timberwolves should be doing everything possible to lock up Love long-term as soon as possible.

I am thinking it will take a little more then this to get er done. Hopefully Love doesnt take this as an insult, and decide to hold a grudge. Although, as stated, it is just a rumor. I dont think Taylor is dumb enough to let his next superstar leave, since he has seen what it does for attendance. They have one week left to get him an offer he cant refuse, so get it done!

Yea they better not screw this one up with Love, just starting to get fans excited again and back in the building.

I would like to see Ray Allen join the team. Boston is on the verge of blowing that team up and rebuilding. I realize he is 36 but is still scoring 17 pts a game. Allen and KG are free agents this summer. What do you guys think am I dreaming? Think how good this team would be if we added a player like that and got rid of Beasley!!!

Either would be an asset, but yes, you are dreaming. Boston is looking to get stuff in return, and for us, I dont think neither would sign an extension and stay with the Wolves, so we would be just renting a player for the remainder of this year. I dont see any reason to give away anything for a half year rental this year. If we could get someone a lot younger, that would be with us for several years, go all out, get rid of anyone other then Love, or Rubio.

Most likely am dreaming, however Boston is only going to get so much in return for a 36yr old gaurd who will be a free agent after this year. Also there may not be any top contending teams that would want to give Allen an extension.

Quote:
According to Charley Walters, the Timberwolves will offer Kevin Love a four-year, $60 million contract extension prior to the January 25 deadline.

Take the report with a huge grain of salt. The $60 million is a lot less than a max extension, and it's possible Love may not be so fond of the offer. Love could hit the market as a restricted free agent in the offseason or choose to opt in for the 2012-13 campaign before becoming an unrestricted free agent the following year. The Timberwolves should be doing everything possible to lock up Love long-term as soon as possible.

The promotion that Love offered from Monday night, with buying everyone seats for Wednesday nights game, and now this in the media, I wonder if they will announce a contract extension during tonights game?? Or if it was just a a big PR thing?

Rubio giving Wolves, fans a reason to by optimistic again

by Shaun Powell, NBA.com

In the visitor's locker room moments after the Wolves lost a tense game in Atlanta the other day, only two players were still dressed in full uniform. One was Kevin Love. The other, Ricky Rubio.

You could understand why Love took it hard; he's a proud All-Star, endured three prior years of losing in Minnesota, all that. But Rubio? Kid's been in the NBA for all of 10 minutes. What does that say about him, that he'd sit by his locker long after the game, chin in hand, feet in an ice bucket, feeling like someone just ordered him to get a crewcut?

"The one thing we didn't know is that he's a competitor," said Wolves coach Rick Adelman.

Yes, among other things. Rubio was mainly a mystery to the NBA when he arrived in Minnesota, someone who clearly had court vision but put up measly numbers in Europe, couldn't hit a jumper no one could recall and whose will to win on the big stage was untested. He had more questions following him into the NBA than squealing teenaged girls.

And now look. Rubio, we can all agree, is special. Nobody's putting him into a limo headed to Springfield, Mass., or anything like that. Not even saying he's the best rookie point guard so far (Kyrie Irving). But he's got it. And he gets it. He knows how to play the game, his entertainment value is high, his scoring ability is improving almost nightly and he wants to win badly. These are the basics that'll serve him well in Minnesota in a rookie season where everyone seems wowed by Rubio, except Rubio himself.

"I know I have to get better," he said. "I know I'm not where I want to be right now."

The one skill he has is obvious. He sees the floor better than a producer in the TV truck. Teammates will hustle down court for a point guard like that. Teammates will work harder without the ball to get open for a point guard like that. Those are the unseen factors that result from a pass-first guard. Everyone in uniform will instantly feed off him. That's crucial for a team like the Wolves and all the fresh young legs on the roster.

And then, there's his flair. He has a bit of box office in him. He's creative, which makes people want to watch, because you're all but guaranteed to see a show on at least one ball possession. The no-looks, ball fakes, wrap-around passes, they can only awaken the basketball pulse in Minnesota, formerly the home of 10,000 yawns.

Rubio is willing to ditch the ordinary for the outstanding, which separates him from lots of other players. Best of all, he's not being reckless when he takes those chances. It just comes naturally for him.

"He has a special skill," Adelman said. "Very special."

Nobody who scouted Rubio in Europe ever accused him of being a solid shooter. He was a developing scorer, and that was being kind. When Brandon Jennings dismissed Rubio as "hype" (a diss that Jennings has since taken back) it was because Rubio made a mild impact on games, compared to the attention he received.

Well, he's now shooting 44 percent for the Wolves, both inside and beyond the 3-point line. He's learning to score off the dribble and with a set-shot. He sank a big 3 down the stretch in the loss to the Hawks, and Adelman called Rubio's number on the game's final possession, which was botched. He may never be a quantity scorer. But it's refreshing to the Wolves to know Rubio is willing to take the big shot, and will look to score when necessary. Before you can become a scorer, you have to show a scorer's guts.

"I worked a lot this summer," Rubio said. "Without that, I knew I couldn't play at this level. When you work hard, good things come."

Finally, Rubio's maturity seems beyond someone who's 21 and just passed his driver's test in the U.S. recently. He's patient on and off the floor, very comfortable in his skin, very composed in tense moments during games and completely unaffected by the mania surrounding him. That has much to do with playing professionally since his mid-teens and also growing up in Spain as opposed to the States, where fame can warp many kids.

"He's a very humble kid," Love said. "Very respectful of his coaches and teammates. And I don't see that changing. Everyone around here likes him a lot. Nobody's jealous of the attention he gets. He handles it all very well."

The Wolves are only asking Rubio to give the franchise a facelift, bring people to the games, play convincingly enough to make Love sign long-term, turn into this generation's Pistol Pete, help turn the Wolves into winners and make free agents want to sign with Minnesota in the future. You know, simple stuff.

Scary thing is, he might actually pull that off.

The Wolves are actually getting daily national media attention, and of the good kind. Up until this year, I dont think the media even knew that MN even had a basketball team. As long as we have Rubio, and Love on our team, we shouldnt have any problem getting a top teir player to sign with us. I am still waiting for Dwight Howard to say the Wolves are a team he would except a trade too. It could happen!

I agree, they need someone who can shoot like ray allen, but i think hes too old... We're not going anywhere this year anyway and he probably wouldnt sign with us after that. A center is our biggest need now. Theres GOT to be someone we can get thats better then frickin Darko or Pekavic!!

Howard....and you thought I was dreaming. grin Hey I would take him as well.

Good thing they were playing Detroit tonight because if they played like that against a decent team it would have been ugly. But at least they were able to turn it on at the end and beat a team they should have. Rubio had some sweet highlights in the 4th quarter.

Yiggin who says we're not going anywhere this year? If we added a solid 3rd player to Love and Rubio I think we would have a good shot at the playoffs. Wouldn't get past the first round but it would still be cool.

I think Beasley can play ball and he can contribute. Need to get players healthy. But they are on there way!

Beasley is more of a disruption on the court, then a asset. He is a ball chucker, as soon as he gets his fingers on the ball, he is determined to take a shot, sometimes from where he is standing, sometimes he attempts to drive to the basket, then turns the ball over. If you look at the numbers of points scored per touch, his numbers are very low. He has a low fg%, 39%. So 61% of the time he shoots, he misses, then you add in the other times that he turns it over trying to create a shot, is much worse.

Beasely I think would be a decent off the bench player, with limited minutes, and a short leash. If he starts making smarter shots, and stops chucking the ball up on every touch, he can earn more minutes. But as of right now, I dont forsee him regaining a starting spot, baring injuries.

I think you are on to something there 4wanderingeyes.... But I know this, im already sick of watching Toliver play so much. I know he hustles and everything but his skill set is VERY limited. Beasley is a black hole, but maybe with Adlemen at the helm he can turn him into a better player. U have to remember, Beasley is ONLY 22! Hes still got some growing up to do and maybe Adlemen can help with that

The only promising player we have for SG is Ellington, and we can hope Webster comes back to his old form. Other then that, scrap the remaining of them. Although Adelmman has been playing with 2 PG in the game, and making things work out, covering up the weakness a little bit.

What kind of impact do you guys think Brad Miller will have when he returns? The vets numbers have been down the past couple years, but some of his most productive years came under Adelman. Probably not much as he is 35 and all, but not any worse than whats going on at center now.

I dont think his numbers will be all that great, maybe 10pts, 8rb, or so, but his presence in the paint will open the perimeter for some un contested shots. You have to have at least one defender on Miller, or Pek at all times while he is in the game, and when you have a big guy that can score in the paint, you almost have to change your defense scheme to cover him. You dont have to do that with Darko, since he's scared to be under the basket, because someone might step on his toes.

Think of it this way, if you have Pek/Miller camping under the basket, with Rubio throwing strikes to them for a quick slam under the basket, they need to defend that, by doing so, you can no longer double Love, or play zone on the perimeter, so now you are not only opeining up more passing lanes for Rubio, you are giving others open looks at the basket, Ellington, JJ, Wes, Luke, etc.. Now this would be a killer offense if we had a good SG in the game during this, as the outside shooters should benefit a lot from having a big scorer under the basket, and a quick sharp shooter like Rubio getting the ball to the open shooter.

Think of it like Shaq, you have to know where he is on the floor at all times, and you need to keep one body between him and the basket, always, then you need another player to be there as soon as he gets the ball. Now I am not saying either are Shaq, but Shaq-like.

Now neither Miller, or Pek will get many minutes, Miller will be limited to under 20, and Pek will be limited by his fouls. Plus, Adelmman likes to play small ball a lot, and niether of these guys will be playing center then. But it will be a nice option they havent had before.

The Wolves will be wearing throwback ABA MN Muskies jerseys for six home games starting in February. Rubio.jpg

What a game! Wow... that was fantastic.

First time in many years that I've enjoyed watching them play. We really have a team that has a bright future.