• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2012

We had just over 14 inches on the shoe yesterday. Drilled a bunch of holes anywhere from 14 feet to 42 feet. never did find that coveted fish tornado that always seems to show up in December, but we had fish under us all night. We had enough action to keep us busy though. We got about 7 or 8 cats on the ice, 3 crappies or so, and a half dozen rock bass. Also got a tiny walleye. I lost one right at the hole that was pretty good sized -- mid twenties or so. Otherwise the cats we iced were generally small, only one about 22 inches and the rest under 20. I had a huge one break my line (first broken line of the year, must have had a weak spot or something becuase the drag was set properly) early, but that's fishing.

We tried to get on a couple spots downstream, to no avail. The ice is just too sketchy anywhere that there's current. It'll take a good cold snap to open up those opportunities.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• mncountryboy92

• Brad B

ran over to the meth hole after a cameo at the cool cats gathering...managed 6 small kitties. lucky enough to meet aanderud and wastewaterguru and glad to hear you guys got a few to bite. i made it back to my car no problem but really appreciate the shuttle offers!

tg

was a blast btw whats the best flasher unit yawl like to use for fishing catfish mean what works the best since they like sitting on the bottom or there suspended

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

They all will work fine and everyone has their favorites. I personally like either a Hummingbird 55 or the Marcum lx5. Looks like the Lx7 are out there but I haven't used one.

Been using the LX-7 for a few weeks. The unit is superior to mechanical flashers because of the chart veiw. Hard to explain, you would have to see. It picks up everything on the bottom better. If you want to see it, stop by my house. I fish the meth hole ocasionally, look for a indy polling a modified garden cart. I am all over though

Took a whole week off from the cats to try other things wink. Made it out today though, By mid Jan standards we did pretty decent. Didnt find any real good schools of cats but did find some nice active crappies grin. Worked them over pretty good untill 4:30 when the cats finaly moved in. Had a couple good flurrys of activity, think I got 9 and my buddie got 11. Had to do a short night as my buddie was carless with his knife and about cut his middle finger half off sick. Off to the er he went.

Btw 12-13in of ice everywhere I drilled today.

Nels, How did you do?

We did alright. I had my 16 year old daughter with me. With all of the school activities and socializing with friends, its not often that she has time to spend with her old man, so having her along made the trip extra special.

We kept 6 crappies and 2 walleyes. Enough to feed our family! laugh We only caught 1 catfish but it was a healthy 23 incher. We also caught a couple rock bass. Over all it was fun because you never knew what was on the end of your line.

I was wondering why you guys booked out of there so quickly.

Thanks for the tips and I'm sure I'll see you out there again sometime.

Nels

Good to hear guys are getting out...I haven't been able to get out the Chain for too long. I'm hoping to head out one night next week...if anyone's planning on heading out there and wants to share some gas, I'd be up for it. Or if you're going to be out there and want to share some info, that's cool, too. Just send a PM if interested.

I hope to be on the shoe Friday, Saturday AND Sunday this weekend. Fishing out of a blue camo ice otter. Red bibs. Look for me and definitely say hi. I'll try to save you a cold one!

tg

I will be out Sat and Sun too grin.

Was out Today or I mean yesterday, I guess its Thu. now so Wed. I figured with the weather system and cold front rolling in it would be a good day to be out. I was wrong blush, had fish under me all afternoon but we realy strugled. I think we ended up getting 5 cats and a hand full of crappies. Still no rockies for me this season grin.

In the last two days it has made another 1- 1.5in of ice and as I type this we are sitting at a sweltering -12F wink so I dont think it will be too long before I start driving out.

I'm hoping to get out on sat or sun!

Anything wrong with the plan of parking at the winter access spot mentioned earlier and fishing the so-called "meth hole", if I'm hoping to be successful at catching at least one catfish?

Any known weak-ice or dangerous spots to avoid?

The only bad area in your plan would be going too close too the proverbial meth hole. Just follow the yellow brick road and stay in the area where the people are and you will not be in any danger. Would try to fish early or late for the best chance to ice one.

mainbutter-no problem with that plan at all. the ice seems pretty good along that channel from the winter access bay all the way up to the meth hole. watch for spearing holes though. there are a couple ice heaves on/near the points you round but they seem solid. the actual meth hole is actually 25-50 yds beyond where most actually fish when they talk about going to the meth hole. it may or may not have frozen over with the recent cold but there was a small maybe 10-20ft area open as of last weekend. you will probably see others fishing out there or evidence of previously drilled holes in the area. it is a good pull-about a mile-maybe a 20 minute walk. lots of people venture out there on snowmobiles and wheelers-if you are lucky enough to have one. you might see people driving out on horseshoe this weekend-last weekend measured about 14" near the meth hole but cannot guarantee it is THAT thick all the way from the access. last weekend saw a couple trucks parked on the ice right by the winter access but not venturing further out. but i wouldn't recommend being the first to drive out there. definitely say hi if you see me otter ice camo, red bibs-i'd be happy to point you in the right direction. feel free to pm me too. AND don't be afraid to try other holes/breaks out there!

tg

I posted in the ice fishing forum but I will try here too. I am planning on heading up to Horseshoe tomorrow and going after cats for the first time. If anyone is going to be out there maybe you would be willing to let me come and say hi and you could point me in the right direction.

Twins Guy - If you are going to be out there tomorrow would you mind letting me know the area that you will be in, so I can stop by and say Hi. I have never been on the chain, so any advice would be great.

Bowhunt

sounds like the mid-winter slump's in full swing. does it usually pick up during late ice? never fished it later. if memory serves me right the season for cats doesn't close right?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The bite does generally pick up late especially if you find some less pressured fish.

sounds like the mid-winter slump's in full swing. does it usually pick up during late ice? never fished it later. if memory serves me right the season for cats doesn't close right?

It does pick back up in March but not like it is in December. Cheer up, it's far from over, you can still have some darn good days out there from now till then wink. Look to the days with changing weather patterns to be best. Like Borch said finding some less presured fish also can be great.

You are correct, the season on the cats does not close.

Yes, keep an eye on that barometer. wink

For example a warmup with some snow on Sunday. cool

Mid winter slump is a great time to check out other spots on the chain. Spots with some current work well. smile

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Dtro- I think it is go time for those current areas you know where Im talking about! Unpressured fish, Oh I like! grin

I will be giving Long Lake a try this weekend for cats. KMR85 and I like to get together once a year and catch some cats through the ice, last year it was at the get together, (I was on mille lacs this year for the event) and we're going to try a new lake this time. I'm thinking the south side of long lake in the deep water would be a good place to start? Any suggestions?

Yep, great place to start, I use to fish both turns on that submerged point. Also have done ok on the north side right out from the landing in the crappie hole; fished that on Sun., marked a lot of fish, not many takers, but was mid morning through early afternoon.

Thanks PB. I'll be hitting the landing sometime in the morning, my partner will be there at noon, and i think he wants to fish into dark aways...i suppose that will depend on his wife tho grin

Ah the benefits of being single!

Ah the benefits of being single!

No need to rub it in. The boss actually wants to spend some time together this weekend, instead of fishing, I suppose shopping, an overpriced meal, and a chick flick will be in my immediate future...... oh well .....Good luck out there!

[No need to rub it in. The boss actually wants to spend some time together this weekend, instead of fishing, I suppose shopping, an overpriced meal, and a chick flick will be in my immediate future...... oh well .....Good luck out there!

Ouch, i feel your pain. So where can a body park on 71? trying to get out this weekend and stay on the eastern waters. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is an dnr access on the southeastern part of Cedar Island. Plenty of good spots near by that have not seen the pressure of the meth hole. Yes, IceHawk, DTro, and RFM re correct about the current, set up on the top side and let some smelly bait work in your favor...... BUT....they know the system, tread lightly if you do not, especially the bottleneck areas.