• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2012

This has been one of my favorite discussions each year. Lots of great folks sharing info about the ice conditions and the bite. Looking forward to making the trek up there many times this year!

Here's last year's discussion:

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2406571/2

Let's get this started!!!

oh btw.....if any of you ice catters happen to be coming to the ice show, I'll be there all day today at the HSO booth, stop by and talk cats with me.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• mncountryboy92

• Brad B

let's see if we can get more then 16 pages of info this year. can't wait to get back up there. looking forward to hearing ice reports.

1.0-3.5in of ice on Horseshoe itself today with some open water in the usaual places. For the first time in a lot of years I was not the very first one on the lake frown. I got to my favorite spot to find someone had set up there already last night.

Cats are going great wink though I was not realy intending to target them this eve but ended up going after them any way. It took a while to shake the rust off and get back into the grove grin. While my partner got his fill of walleyes I did pretty well on cats, crappies and even a few small walleyes. Best depth for the cats was 22-26 and the walleyes were coming slightly shallower. Most of the fish I got were not messing around, they were super agresive and no spring or float was realy needed as I could feel them crush my spoon grin It sure is good to be back on the ice again .

If you are heading out to the chain in the near future be sure to be extra carefull, the ice in not real consistant in thickness right now so be sure to check thickness often. Also be sure to bring your ice cleats as its realy slipery right now.

...and just like that RFM gave me the jitters.

So now what? Am I supposed to change plans and head up there tomorrow? grin

Hey thanks for the report! I'll probably have to wait a while before I'm able to get up there but at least I can live vicariously through you.

...and just like that RFM gave me the jitters.

So now what? Am I supposed to change plans and head up there tomorrow? grin

Hey thanks for the report! I'll probably have to wait a while before I'm able to get up there but at least I can live vicariously through you.

Darren are you having catfish withdrawl?

RFM thanks for the ice report keep them coming.

I'd like to try and get my first kitty this winter. Would like to hook up with one of you pro's and make it happen.

I'd like to try and get my first kitty this winter. Would like to hook up with one of you pro's and make it happen.

I wouldn't call any of us pros. we are just a group of guys that know each other and have the common love of fishing for catfish. I plan to get up there as much as I can this year. if I go up your welcome to join me but I will be walking out until it is safe to drive out there. I don't have a snowmobile so if you have one and wouldn't mind bringing it up there I can supply the house, auger, heater, & bait if you didn't want to walk out.

also keep a eye out on the get together thread for the "Cool Cats" ice fishing event. it is hosted by Borch and is normally the first saturday in march on horseshoe. It may be earlier this year (I talked to Jeff : AKA Borch and he may move it this year to a earlier date). even thou the cat bite has slowed by then it is still a fun time trying and plus everyone brings something to share and it makes for a very good lunch on the ice. this is worth the trip alone.

Thx Brad. I'm fully loaded with gear myself and hope to have a wheeler in the next couple of weeks to make the walk a bit shorter. I've fished the meth hole area a few times with only catching some eyes. Hopefully this is my year.

i can't wait to try the cold water cats, i was on the chain for the first time this summer with a friend and loved all the action. I grew up up north and never had cats just bullheads so i was having a blast out there and the kids love em'.

osok, I have a number of options to access the western lakes on the chain grin.

Dtro, don't worrie the cats will be ready when you are wink.

It should be another great year out there with several good year clases of fish in the system. I only hope I can finaly ice one over 32in this year.

Nice, it certainly it's good to have connections. I'll stop scouring my maps looking for some seldom used walk on access now confused

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Hey dont be afraid to knock on a few doors on the chain for access you might be pleasantly surprised that you may gain access to a area all to yourselves. I have gained foot access to a handfull of spots over the years and even made some lasting friendships from it to. A little gift bascket of fish and wild game doesnt hurt either!

Good idea Chris, a little kindness goes a long ways. I planned on doing that this fall, but the dang walleyes wouldn't leave me alone down here long enough to line something up.

Hey dont be afraid to knock on a few doors on the chain for access you might be pleasantly surprised that you may gain access to a area all to yourselves. I have gained foot access to a handfull of spots over the years and even made some lasting friendships from it to. A little gift bascket of fish and wild game doesnt hurt either!

IceHawk is 100% right. I find the best time to ask for private access is the summertime holiday weekends. Most of the land owners I have met over the years while asking have been very good as long as you respect their property . Some of the cabin owners I have met over the years like it that I keep an eye on their places durring the winter.

Thanks for the report, RFM. Now I'm officially stoked. It's been a while since I've posted. Been busy with work and other crud. I'll be up there hopefully as soon as this weekend (Sunday maybe?) but more than likely it'll be next weekend for sure. We'll see if I can find someone to watch the rugrat on Saturday or Sunday.

most people have been using a smaller flyer, buckshot, varmit, frostee type spoon tipped with whole/half/head of a crappie or fathead minnow, a chunk of sucker/chub or chicken liver also can work well. 4lb test is usually adequate, spring bobber or small floats can help a lot if the bite is light. Any type reel is fine.

Can I park along hwy22? will cops give me any problems or tickets..

They are starting to enforce this so it is best to park at the "real" access or wait till there is enough ice and park on the lake by the normal access. There are also shorter walks and lots of fish on Long and Cedar Island.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The Jason Mitchell meat stick is my favorite light bite jigging rod. The tip acts very much like a spring bobber without having to use a spring bobber. I like 4-6 pound test on my rigs. I usually fish a bobber rig using either a venom or ice buster float set so it's just barely floating. My favorite spoon is a Lindy rattlin flyer in a 1/16 or 1/8 oz in glow red.

I can't believe it's that time of the year already...shame on you Riverfishmiss for throwing out the first good report! wink

Where is this meth hole you guys speak of? Also, are there any areas of the lake that have bad ice??? grinwinkgrin

Where is this meth hole you guys speak of? Also, are there any areas of the lake that have bad ice??? grinwinkgrin

Meth hole is just off the big flat between where the riv comes into Horseshoe and the big point to the south of the riv.

Not alot of bad ice now after the last few nights grin. Just stay away from the river and the small island the house is on in the far western bay.

Too darn nice to sit at home or to even think about workin'. I hear the catfish calling my name gringrin ;)Time to go see what they want

I can't believe it's that time of the year already...shame on you Riverfishmiss for throwing out the first good report! wink

Well... someone pipe up if i'm wrong here, but the meth hole does have sections of poor ice near the deepest part of the lake. Didn't someone fall through while walking last year when the surrounding area had ice 16"+?

Last year, when setting up my house for the night, one hole I drilled had 20" of ice, the other had 11". 6 ft apart.

I'd be very careful out there. That place makes me nervous.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Darren- Was out on Horseshoe today scopeing out ice conditions Most of it averages about 4 inches. I will be chaseing eyes out there tommorow. No atv's out on horseshoe yet but 2 on becker and 2 on Rice .The ice is really weird this yr a couple of areas just froze over a couple days ago. The area you guys walk on by the bridge may be a little iffy but should be stiff by the weekend there is a area by the small island house that was late to freeze.

Well... someone pipe up if i'm wrong here, but the meth hole does have sections of poor ice near the deepest part of the lake. Didn't someone fall through while walking last year when the surrounding area had ice 16"+?

Yeah, I was actually kidding when I asked my questions. Seems like we get quite a few postings every year that are on the same topics, like where the meth hole is, bad ice locations, access from the summer landing and why Dtro and Andrud catch so many rock bass! grin