• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2012

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

As smooth as the ice is I get a portable would have been sporty last night unless you used ice anchors.

Good job of sticking out and catching a few.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• mncountryboy92

• Brad B

Was not a numbers game for myself and crew of six but size was impressive. To be honest we spent most of this beautifull day chasing crappies wink. I know I only got 10 cats but one was 25 one just over 27 one just under 27 and three other low 20's. My buddie got big fish of the day with a fat 29in piggy grin I would trade a 20 fish day anytime for getting a few monsters. After today I need to change line out on the reel I got the big uns on, they put a whole lot of strech in it smirk.

Overall it was just one great day to be on the lake even if the cats didn't go nuts, oh well maybe next time.

Ran into fellow FM/HSO member Roman K on the ice so that in itself was cool. Let me know next time you guys head up grin

Gorgeous day to be out, a little slick out but wasnt really an issue. It was nice to meet RFM out there and especially nice when he came by to show me the 29" hog his buddy got! Thanks for the pointers and for finding and returning my ice chisel smile

We ended up with around 20 catfish and one walleye, honestly lost count of catfish towards the end. My fiance landed her first channel cat ever and the action was hot enough to keep her entertained so I consider that to be a very successful outing. Red glow jigs/spoons tipped with a fathead or crappie minnow. Action really died down after about 6pm, didnt stick around to see if it picked up any later.

Went out for my second try at getting my first cat through the ice and finally got some. Ended with 5 a 16,19,20, and 2 26's. Man are those big ones a fun fight. Might need a hole bigger than 8 inches for any over 30 inches, they are sure round in there. Here is a picture of one of the 26's.

6671171921_0e147e7275.jpg

JB, just park on 22 and hoof it. Wear some studs on yer boots and you'll be there in 15 short minutes. More often than not, I arrive sooner than people with wheelers. Not sure what the problem folks have with getting some exercise when there's no drag on the sled! blush

Sunday I got 5 cats, 2 crappies and 2 walleye. Felt real good to c&r a 22". Red glow spoon and the smallest live crappie minner worked for me. Glow regularly! Fun times

Did a marathon day today, just short of 12hrs on the lake . It was one of them days where everything went right and the mid winter slow down was a distant memory, at least for a few hours grin. I must have gotten close to 40 cats of all sizes (11-27) and my buddie lost count early in the day. Action was slow durring the morning but picked up arond 1pm and was pretty consistant through out the day. For the better part of the day I hole hoped and found small pods of willing biters. Around 4 I checked some holes I punched yesterday witch only had a skim of ice on them , one series of holes I came apon were in the mid 30's for depth. I put the ducer down the hole and thought my Vexi had been bumped and the gain turned up, no it was 18 solid feet of fish from 17ft down all the way to the bottom gringrin. Jack pot, I have seen some huge schools of cats out there but nothing like this. For the next 45 min we had cats bite as fast as we could get our lines down to them. This is where I got more than a third of my days catch. Like I said this lasted for only 45min, as fast as they showed up they disapeared just as fast. We searched in vain for the next hour but never did find this mother school again.

The fish were still active when we pulled of the lake at 10:30

Glow red is all I tryed today but I think just about anything would have gotten them today. As good as this afternoon was I am betting tomorrow will be just as good if not a little better wink. Unfortunatly I wont be there cry

Man, nice reports, everyone. I haven't been out for a few days, and I can't get out today, either. Hopefuly I'll be seeing many of you on Saturday, though. smile

I'm jealous. I wish I could get up there during weekdays. Maybe I should just retire or move somewhere closer. Nice job LPCR and RFM.

What's that winter access parking like on 22? Is it along the road or a lot? Thinking of bringing the wife and kid up there this weekend and try to catch some cats? Can we just walk out from that access also? Will be our first time there. Reading all the threads got me intrigued and hope I'll get my first cat through the ice!

What's that winter access parking like on 22? Is it along the road or a lot? Thinking of bringing the wife and kid up there this weekend and try to catch some cats? Can we just walk out from that access also? Will be our first time there. Reading all the threads got me intrigued and hope I'll get my first cat through the ice!

The parking is along CR 22 on the shoulder.

Like DTRO said, on Saturday we are having a cat fishing get together on Long Lake south of Horseshoe. There would be folks there that could help get you started if you'd like.

Good Luck!

How's the ice condition since this front went through? Has it helped out? How thick is the ice now on Horseshoe? The wife is kind of weary about it. Will be up there tomorrow, can't wait! Hope the cats are still biting... wink

From what I've heard the ice is in good shape. Not to worry, especially if you are walking out.

You can check out the Cool Cats event if you click this link:

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...Cat#Post2727608

Anyone have a current report of how much snow is on the ice? 1" or more and I'm taking my sled tomorrow. Spotty, and I'll just walk and drag.

I'm too new to this ice cat thing. What's Cool Cats?

It's only the best icefishing for catfish get together that is out there. the lunch at noon on the ice is worth the trip alone even if you don't catch any fish. Cool Cats has been going on for 9 to 10 years now (borch correct me if I am wrong) and is normally the first saturday in march but Borch had to change the date this year to a earlier date. It is a great time and it will give you a chance to put faces with screen names.

I was out on long today, looking for a few fish to bite and the ice is in great shape, no snow so very easy walking, managed 2 cats, both went back for you guys to catch again, and 6 crappies. On a side note, I think that I lost my gps out there, so if anyone happens across it I would greatly appreciate it back. I looked long and hard but to no avail. Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks for the report backtroller1. We'll keep our eyes open for it and if it turns up you see it on the site.

I was out on long today, looking for a few fish to bite and the ice is in great shape, no snow so very easy walking, managed 2 cats, both went back for you guys to catch again, and 6 crappies. On a side note, I think that I lost my gps out there, so if anyone happens across it I would greatly appreciate it back. I looked long and hard but to no avail. Good luck tomorrow.

just throwing a guess out there... you don't own an aquaview.. Because if you did you would have found your gps wink

Well if it's an h2o it would float. wink

well tomorrow will be my frist time winter cat fishing i go for cats really hard in the summer it's a passion that i was raised on can't wait im heading out in about hour im so jacked

Just some info. Yes the H2O does float...but ONLY with LITHIUM batteries. My buddy found that out on Pleasant Lake one summer. He had it resting on the side of the canoe before it fell off the side. He said "don't worry it floats." What a spendy mistake for not reading the manual.

After triple checking for my gps, I found it tucked between the sled and the canvas of my fish house. Thanks for keeping an eye open anyway on the lake. How was the fishing??

Glad to hear you found it. With the fresh coating of snow it was going to be tough to find.

Fishing was great but the catching was slow for us. Althought we caught enoughfor a nice fish fry to go along with all the great food people brought. Had a couple of bigger cats around the 24" mark and several folks caught their first cat through the ice so it was a success. Especially with all of the great company while doing it.

Heard about 12-14" on horseshoe yesterday. Bite was tough from everyone I heard from but the cats have been biting.