• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2012

I have no idea where this winter access you speak of is I'm too much of a rookie and to dumb to figure it out my self

Brett,

here is the map that was posted on last years cool cats event thread. it will show you the winter access. remember "DO NOT GO OUT FROM THE SUMMER ACCESS" I can't stress this enough. the summer access is on the river and the ice normally is thinner in this area. the summer access on the map is labeled as the "DNR Access"

full-29971-16752-coolcats.jpg

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• mncountryboy92

• Brad B

You shold be fine with the Trail Blazer, Im taking the Yukon out tommorrow.

Sounds good, if you see a guy in a silver TB and a blue base camp that looks lost that will be me stop and say hi.

jb, last year i got on and off with my contour svt, which had about 3" of ground clearance and low-profile tires. it just took a bit of speed but only 1 try.

Sounds good, if you see a guy in a silver TB and a blue base camp that looks lost that will be me stop and say hi.

I'll be the guy in the green TB and a team wild house, and equally as lost smile

Can't wait to get back up there! I'll be out on Saturday and I will let you guys know how I do

Is the winter access car friendly, or do you need some clearance to get on and off?

Its pretty good this year. Got a few inches of snow on the ice now grin. Nice trail started back to the fishing grounds and beyond. Fishing was pretty slow again tonight, still lots of methane bubbles coming up.

is it safe to drive my f150 out i wanna be sure i think im good with the 17inchs tho just hitting up the bay and need wind block tonight

Thanks. Either way I'm gonna fish there, just would rather drive than walk. It'll be a couple weeks yet, so 1 of 2 things can happen in that time...the lake gets covered with an insane amount of snow, or a very well traveled path is paved for some easy driving.

Someone used to plow a path from the access all the way back to Krons but this hasnt happend in a few years. We usaly keep the road pretty packed down all winter.

My plan was to hit Birch today , we got to the lake and wind was way too much for our portables. Off we went to the chain to fish the wheelhouses. Got to my house only to see someone had set up a tip up down not 3ft from my front door mad. Who ever did this must have been there after I left last night or real early this morning as it was frozen in somewhat. If you own this tip up you can claim it any time this weekend, I will be spending Sat night out there.

Well the bite was slow again today. Only got 4 cats and one dirty little eel pout crazy didnt even know there was any of them in the chain, guess I learned something new today. Did not get one fish one minnows , they all came on the local brand chicken liver, I sure am glad I picked up some this morning or I might have been skunked .

good to know about the livers. I am coming up saturday at 2PM and will remember to stop and pick up some livers. going to try by the meth hole.

any reports on ice condition? gonna go tomorrow with my Full size Nissan Armada tomorrow and just want to make sure people are actually driving out there. I know I can just wait til tomorrow and see for myself but just thought I ask if any other full size SUVs or trucks have been on the ice lately.

I sure hope the bite picks up by then. Good luck!

hey riverfishingmiss if you happen to be around the meth hole tommorrow keep a eye out for my blazer with the HSO decals on it(you shouldn't miss it if you're in the area). I will have my blue canvas craft house (suit case style) with. stop by and say hi.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Looks like I'll be out in my Blue Chevy 1500HD and a blue camo Otter Lodge. Stop by and say hi.

hey riverfishingmiss if you happen to be around the meth hole tommorrow keep a eye out for my blazer with the HSO decals on it(you shouldn't miss it if you're in the area). I will have my blue canvas craft house (suit case style) with. stop by and say hi.

Brad, Borch, I will be lookin for you guys. Im not too far away , I have a couple houses over on the outskirts crappie town wink. Brad did you ever get that first cat through the ice thing out of the way yet?

The bite was much improved over the last few outings. I got an even dozen and my partner also cracked around ten as well as quite a number of bonus fishgrin. Size was better than average too with about half being over 20in. Couldnt buy a bite on the liver, it was all crappie minnow heads on the glow red spoons. I had a couple buddies that were at the meth hole this evening and they didnt fare too well as far as catching went. . They said the wind was near huricain force over there today so they couldnt move around like they wanted. I do give you guys that were over there in the porties credit for sticking it out wink it looked nasty from where I was.

riverfishingmiss,

The cats are still winning. thrid season of trying. I just need summer to come then it is game on for me and the cats are on the losing end then. I did mark alot of fish at cool cats this year but nothing would bite. I did scratch out 2 crappies that day but they were smaller so they are still swimming the chain. hopefully things will align for me one of these times. It is only a matter of time. since you have a couple of houses could you hook me up( winkgrin J/K) if I cant get them using my house at the meth hole.

Looks like I'll be out in my Blue Chevy 1500HD and a blue camo Otter Lodge. Stop by and say hi.

Jeff,

what time are you going to be out there. I was going to get out at around 2PM and fish until 7 or 8 PM then head back home so I can get a little time in with my kids before they go to bed for the night. If you're there I will look for you. Mncoutryboy92 is meeting me out there also.

Brad ,if the meth hole isnt looking so hot MNcountryboy92 has a fair idea of where I am wink. Sorry I think we have full houses tomorrow but there is more than enough room , some protection from the wind and plenty of fish in my little area for you guys to set up. grin

took my dad out for his first ice fishing outing today-he's 60! when i started telling him about cattin' thru the ice he asked where. i never knew this but he apparently used to spend the opener "fishing" horseshoe with a bunch of buddies back in the 70s and 80s. so he was excited to give the cats on the shoe a chance. even recognized the buddy's old aframe and terracing he helped build on the way to the meth hole. talk about a small world!

super windy out at the meth hole so we hunkered down in the otter. tried a few different depths. finally marked some fish. i scored first but my dad tied things up with a kittie (obviously his first fish of any kind through the ice-congrats dad!) three party crappies put me deep in the red-a seemingly insurmountable deficit. But a dramatic timberwolves-like comeback, spurred on by quick-ish reflexes and keen vision, with 4 unanswered cats led me to the overall win. all in all a great time although fish were still pretty tight lipped where we were. minnow heads 5, chicken liver 1. wish i didn't have plans tomorrow, hopefully i'll be back sunday...

thanks to everyone who has steered me in the right direction chasing these cats-you made my dad's day!

also-i would like to compliment the generally friendly bunch out at the meth hole. only positive interactions! and a VERY tidy bunch from everything i have seen (rather not seen!).

tg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Jeff,

what time are you going to be out there. I was going to get out at around 2PM and fish until 7 or 8 PM then head back home so I can get a little time in with my kids before they go to bed for the night. If you're there I will look for you. Mncoutryboy92 is meeting me out there also.

Probably about the same time frame Brad. Hope to hit a few spots before settling in for the evening bite.

Headin out for the rest of the weekend in just a few moments. Sounds like we will have quite a few FM/HSO members hitting the ice ;), hope to see some of you guys today. Good luck everyone!!!

Have fun out there this weekend fellas. I'm doing the metro crappies with my 4 year old today, and tomorrow I think I'm hitting up the croix or something different.

RFM, if you get one of those pouts again, you should eat it. Supposedly they taste great boiled. Hopefully they can get as popular as the cats out there. I'd love to hook into some 8 pound pout (or even bigger) like they have up on LOTW.