• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usmcjsy

• schweady

• Gissert

• Cowhead

west lost apparently had a co worker see someone coming walking off from the way out. Another lake can't remember the name but that was thin. It is still thick near underwood where i have checked.

thats good to hear, i spear at west lost quite a bit. i think ill wait a couple days though and let the ice thicken where the river comes into the lake. too early for me yet

I'm just not that hungry yet smile Gonna give it till Monday or so before I mess with it. All that wind and warmth really took a lot of strength out of the first ice that formed. The lake that blew clean will probably have better ice if we can get some still cold nights.

Highly doubt it , Talked to a friend that was sitting on the shores of W Battle this morning and there was white caps out there.So I can't imagain OT would have any.

I'm guessing not good on the big lakes... Bass lake by Underwood checked in 3 different spots and only has 2 inches, while Norway's main lake basin has open water spots that showed up after the little bit of snow we got last night....

was at Ottertail & Battle Lake this morning, WIDE open.

Rush lake & Marion Lake & Big Detroit are froze over now (just in last day or 2)

Wind is gonna be bad today,

Looks like today's wind has really done a number on any wafer-thin covering that existed yesterday, especially noticeable on the lakes north of Ottertail:

full-1196-14488-icecoverdec1,22011around

what site can I use to get that current of photos

NASA Earth Data

Pick either of the two thumbnail images on the left; click on '250m' for the largest, most detailed image.

Oh, and if you don't want to center on Sioux Falls, go here and pick a new center point.

Oops! Here's a better starting point for your satellite image searches:

MODIS Today

Choose a date, click on a region, pick 250m for largest image with best detail.

(interesting to see the huge cracks in URL on 12/1/11...)

Had a large seam of open water in front of my cabin on Rush, that extended way out yet on Saturday afternoon. Looks like it just froze over Saturday night. Extended SW of the north access. Be careful out there!!

Gary B.

I made it out yesterday. A couple lakes I wanted to get to in the Fergus Falls area were still open water, so everyone take great precaution with these single digit temps, a lot of the lakes probably just locked up last night. With that said, I made it to shallow lake that had about 4.5 inches of good clear ice on it. Fishing was a tad slow, but managed a couple walleyes and a nice bull bluegill. Just felt great to get out!

Whats everyone thinking for wheel houses on OT..? So far I am hoping for new years. Usually I am hoping to be out a week before Xmas or so.

My best guess would be about the 17TH for houses on ottertail. There will most likely be some spear houses and smaller houses out from Pelican bay this weekend. Froze over Sunday so barring any amount of snow should be 6-8" this weekend.

Excellent, I was waiting to hear that. It does not sound like much for snow so your prediction may be right on. Just hoping for some real cold days. Thanks for the OT updates.

Any word on ice for Little Pine?

-Hossienda

Well, I guess somebody had to be first...

I know it's a nice, cold week ahead but just too much open water yet for my blood.

Little Pine:

full-1196-14658-img_0082.jpg

Big Pine:

full-1196-14659-img_0097.jpg

Locally, it was an odd freeze up this year. Most lakes under 1000 acres skimmed over, then blew open again in before Thanksgiving. Some stayed capped and but had scattered open spots up until last Monday.

It was just so warm that we never got that good consecutive still, cold nights that tightens them up.

There is good ice out there, but it is highly variable. I measured six inches on my lake on Tuesday on an area that never opened up after the initial formation. The great balance of the ice was at three inches, with spots as thin as an inch that froze up Monday night.

Thanks Gissert, this time of year your ice reports are always greatly appreciated. I usually check here and Kens Tackle for the latest on OT. I am going crazy waiting to get out on the ice. Thanks Again though for the updates I am sure many appreciate it.

There is still open water on Little Pine? Does that lake usually freeze late?

Yes, there was still plenty of open water that day. In fact, the guy had a tip-up in an area with a lot darker grey ice than where his house sat. I wasn't going to walk out to check it all that closely.

No, Little Pine doesn't usually stay open late. It's just been a VERY unusual year. (The open water in the foreground is incoming river flow.)

Makes sense, thanks for posting the pictures. I hope we can avoid any significant snow for another week or two.

Is there any snow cover on the lakes now? Here in Aitkin Co. we have a very light dusting on the grass and the lakes have almost no snow.

That light snow we got last night is blowing around and polishing the surface into a mirror. Actually looks kinda spooky... Seems darker than yesterday with dark frozen cracks running everywhere, making it look like March. I'm told that bright blue house is always the first one out; portable joined him now. Gotta go find my ice skates.