• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need 2 sonar/gps units for my new boat...help needed...

Loon

Question

I bought a new boat this fall and haven't even brought it home yet...

Lund Pro Guide 1675 tiller and it needs two sonar/gps units...

Command center gets priority...can skimp on the bow if needed.

Budget is $1200-$1800.

I've been loyal to the Lowrance brand but with the sale of Lakemaster, I'm willing to jump ship.

My initial thought was:

#1: HDS 7 $850 x 2 = $1700 - $400 rebates = $1300 + $200 (chips) = $1500

#2: HDS 5 Insight+HDS 7 = $1500 - $300 rebates = $1200 + $100 chip = $1300

#3: HDS 7 = $850 - $200 rebate + $100 chip +M68C s/map(already have) =$750

#4: Humminbird 788 ci $480 x 2 = $960 + $200 (chips) = $1160

I understand that if I go Lowrance I will not receive support for the Lakemaster chips beyond yesterday.

I wonder if going with the smaller screened Birds isn't the right move.

Please advise.

25 answers to this question

I bought a new boat this fall and haven't even brought it home yet...

Lund Pro Guide 1675 tiller and it needs two sonar/gps units...

Command center gets priority...can skimp on the bow if needed.

Budget is $1200-$1800.

I've been loyal to the Lowrance brand but with the sale of Lakemaster, I'm willing to jump ship.

My initial thought was:

#1: HDS 7 $850 x 2 = $1700 - $400 rebates = $1300 + $200 (chips) = $1500

#2: HDS 5 Insight+HDS 7 = $1500 - $300 rebates = $1200 + $100 chip = $1300

#3: HDS 7 = $850 - $200 rebate + $100 chip +M68C s/map(already have) =$750

#4: Humminbird 788 ci $480 x 2 = $960 + $200 (chips) = $1160

I understand that if I go Lowrance I will not receive support for the Lakemaster chips beyond yesterday.

I wonder if going with the smaller screened Birds isn't the right move.

Please advise.

I don't believe that lakemaster is or will discontinue supporting Lowrance, unless for some reason Lowrance prevents them from doing so. Why would they throw away a good chunk of business that costs them little?

Quote: "I understand that if I go Lowrance I will not receive support for the Lakemaster chips beyond yesterday."

What do you mean by "support"? Lakemaster still sells Lowrance (and Garmin) SD cards through retailers. They no longer sell them online. That's the only change.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Where did you see a Humminbird 788 ci for $480 price at? At the big store I was at last night they were more like $647.

From what I've read my understanding is that when the non-Humminbird Lakemaster chips you see on shelves are gone...they're gone.

You'll have to go C-list and the Bay...maybe the bargain cave.

The 788 CI HD goes on sale Friday Nov. 25-30...in Rogers and Owatonna.

Loon, are you sure that it's the HD model? That's the latest-greatest model, and would be a steal at that price. I think the sale price is just on the 788ci, which is very similar and also a great unit. (That's what I have.) The price is also very good for that one.

If it was my money, I'd get one of those at that price, or a 778c HD or 596c HD for the bow-mount, and then pick up something with side-imaging for the transom/ main unit. For side imaging, I'd buy the biggest screen I could afford, maybe waiting until the Sportshow this March to get a deal or some more money for the unit.

It sounds like you plan to just have the bow mount for fishing up front, and are more concerned with seeing what's below you, and not so much with mapping and GPS in the bow? If so, I'd just run one of the units mentioned above and put the bulk of the money into the rear unit. If you wanted something really great for the bow, you might look at one of the down-imaging (DI) models. But I personally would put the extra money into side-imaging rather than down-imaging.

Another option would be to get an 898SI and put a dual mount and just move it between the 2 locations depending on where you need it at the time.

Quote: "From what I've read my understanding is that when the non-Humminbird Lakemaster chips you see on shelves are gone...they're gone."

WHERE have you read that? Not on the Lakemaster site that I can find. What is your RELIABLE source for that statement?

Loon, I just looked at their website and you can get that 788ci online with free shipping for $480 right now instead of waiting for the in-store sale.

You are correct...it's the 788 CI...

NOT the HD...sorry.

And I called Lakemaster directly this afternoon because I know how the jackals can be around here and didn't want to get ripped to shreds if I didn't check my facts.

I believe I spoke to a guy named Kevin and he said that it is absolutely true that they have already ceased production of ALL Lowrance chips and every single one of them is out of the warehouse and at the retailers.

When they are gone...they are gone. And if you get one today and have a problem with it tomorrow it is between you, the retailer and Lowrance.

I believe I spoke to a guy named Kevin and he said that it is absolutely true that they have already ceased production of ALL Lowrance chips and every single one of them is out of the warehouse and at the retailers.

When they are gone...they are gone. And if you get one today and have a problem with it tomorrow it is between you, the retailer and Lowrance.

Like a lot of people have said I think they are committing financial suicide not selling chips for other brands! Even Microsoft changed to handle Mac over time so they could sale more software! They will still have the market on good map chips! crazy

Theres always Navionics, I have owned both and prefer the Navionics chips for both home and MN. As far as units the HDS gets my vote all day every day, far better than my partners new HB units....

Loon, I just looked at their website and you can get that 788ci online with free shipping for $480 right now instead of waiting for the in-store sale.

I'm thinking of ordering one on line instead of standing in line at 4:00 am just to fight and elbow all you guys for one of these. The question I have will my 2008-09? Lakemaster chip work in this unit or do I have to buy a new Nav chip for it?

The Lakemaster chip should work if it was a Humminbird chip to begin with, but I'd email Lakemaster (or find a friend with the unit and test it) just to make sure.

The Lakemaster chip should work if it was a Humminbird chip to begin with, but I'd email Lakemaster (or find a friend with the unit and test it) just to make sure.
I don't think the unit comes with any chip in it you have to buy-order one for it.

Right, the unit does not come with any mapping chip.

If you wanted to test your chip out, you'd have to find someone with a unit and test it in that one. Or, you could email Lakemaster and ask them if the chip you already have will work in the 788ci. I don't know if your chip is supposed to work with Humminbird units or not, and if it is whether it will work with this specific one.

Now that I think about it, your 2009 chip wouldn't be too much older than the first 788ci units. If your chip was for Humminbird, it would probably work. Obviously, I'm no expert so take this advice from the internets for what it's worth...

Right, the unit does not come with any mapping chip.

If you wanted to test your chip out, you'd have to find someone with a unit and test it in that one. Or, you could email Lakemaster and ask them if the chip you already have will work in the 788ci. I don't know if your chip is supposed to work with Humminbird units or not, and if it is whether it will work with this specific one.

Now that I think about it, your 2009 chip wouldn't be too much older than the first 788ci units. If your chip was for Humminbird, it would probably work. Obviously, I'm no expert so take this advice from the internets for what it's worth...

Thanks TTT, I have used this chip in a H20 and a XOG but they are both Low, products.

HB did not support LM untill mid 2010... Still never found the hype of the LM, got one based on the rave reviews and was sadly dissapointed then took forever to dump it....

Ah, bummer. The Lowrance chips won't work in any Humminbird equipment.

If you had a Navionics chip, that did work in both Humminbird, Lowrance and many others.

I have a Lake of the Woods Navionics SD chip I bought in 2007 when I HAD Lowrance units, I bought Humminbird in 2009 and that Navionics SD chip has worked very well in the Humminbird ever since.

Navionics didn't play the Brand game like LM did.

Just and FYI to muddy the waters a little more grin

Mike

I am convinced that the Minn Kota/Humminbird/Lakemaster connection will deliver the seamless transition that we've all been waiting for.

When? Might be next year...could be later...

Really tough to commit $1000-$1500 to Lowrance when you're not sure.

One thing I know for sure is that Humminbird has officially become a major player.

I have been a dedicated Lowrance guy for as long as I've been a fisherman, but fishing with my brother on Rainy Lake has made me an even more dedicated Lakemaster guy.

Wherever Lakemaster goes...so will I.

I may have been strong-armed into the decision by the aqcuisition but I can't invest any money in a dead-end road.

There is a reason Lowrance is offering crazy rebates.

One of our northern MN retailers is blowing out the last of the remaining first generation Humminbird 798c Side Imaging units for $599.00 shocked that's a great price on a SI unit.

Mike

Thanks, Mike!

My plan is to get both a 798 ($600) and a 788 ($450) tonight online and just leave them in the box and continue shopping all winter and by the time I take delivery of the boat I will have made my decision.

The 5" screen is worrisome because the electronics locker is on the floor of my new boat so my tiller graph will be down by my toes. Kind of a long way away.

Maybe I could run a second power cord into the electronics locker for situations where I won't be using the bowmount and will be fishing from the cockpit exclusively.

I could move the 788 to the rear and just use it for full screen mapping while the 798 could handle full screen sonar duties.

I ended up buying (2) HDS 7s, a Lakemaster MN chip and a Lakemaster Woods/Rainy chip.

The guys at the counter said they've never heard of a chip going bad and they also said that their contacts at Navionics are going to start narrowing their focus down to the state level (as opposed to regions) and they are coming back to do extensive charting.

I found that info reassuring and I spent some time with a Lowrance rep who was on hand to answer questions.

He said they are doing away the Base Map models and they will all have Lake Insight in the spring but the price will be back to $1000.

He also said that he was suprised they were still $850...he was told that sale was supposed to end Wednesday at closing time but management called an audible at the line today and extended the sale.

It could end any day so I pulled the trigger.

$910 x 2 = $1820 + $200(chips) + $30(extra power cable) = $2050 - $400(rebates) = $1650 out the door.

Pretty happy with that.

GM has the 788ci for 499.00 and the 798ci si for 799.99. Both are the non-HD version, but there is also a promo of $100 off before tomorrow night. Code is GMH1127.

A bought the 788ci and added a pack of power worms to bring the total over $500, which then qualifies for the $100 off smile

$400 for the 788ci is a very good deal!