• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Everyone all ready to go? I'm not, completely. Rifle's sighted in and all stands are in position except for another portable ladder stand that I picked up last Monday. Still have to clean my clothes too. Good luck out there. Here are a few deer hunt prep pics.full-130-13500-dscf4675.jpg

full-130-13501-dscf4676.jpg

full-130-13502-dscf4674.jpg

full-130-13503-dscf4680.jpg

full-130-13504-dscf4682.jpg

Good luck Greg, hope to see some pics with the kids again this year. Almost ready here, set two more stands today and checked a couple others. Of course had to set a spell in the stand I shot the big one from last year. Pics are that stand and the view from it. Will have 13 at the house for opening weekend. Be safe everyone and enjoy.

full-1988-13514-dscn0267.jpg

full-1988-13515-dscn0270.jpg

full-1988-13516-dscn0268.jpg

Thanks DP ~ Fished this morning (slow) but tomorrow will be putting up the last stand. Nice pics. Sure gets a guy pumped!

Hi Greg!

Is that a H&R Handi Rifle .243 in that young lady's hands?

That's what my 13 year old daughter Amanda shoots. I put a SVL recoil pad on it and she could shoot it till the barrel melted down. LOL

Good luck this weekend!

I put the boat away today................................SAD!!!

Brian

Other than the wind things have been pretty good, passed on a few does opening morning, son got a 7 pointer on sunday and my buddy got a very nice 8 pointer that dressed 205# this morning. Others in our group got a spike and a fork horn.

full-1988-13732-dscn0297.jpg

Buddy's deer

full-1988-13733-dscn0284.jpg

My son and his deer

Nice deer DinnerPail! And yes Brian, that's exactly what it is and she shot her first deer ever (yearling) on opening day. Here's one that I took on opening day, a husky long-tined spiker.full-130-13754-dscf4696.jpg

Nice, congrats! You must be seeing a fair amount of deer? We're not. Pretty darn slim pickings for us.

Brother took a doe Saturday afternoon, and I took one Sunday morning. Haven't seen a buck, but still trying. Leader area. People have not been seeing alot of deer.

We're not seeing a lot of deer either, really poor. Here's a pic of my granddaughter's first deer ever, taken on Opening Day. full-130-13832-316708_2119076584355_1468

Love the smile on her face, I'm sure grandpa had a pretty happy face as well. Taking the day off from hunting to go see my grandson. Have seen a few deer every day out except tuesday when i went fishing.

little late but here's my report from north of nashwauk, off 56. SLOW! couldn't hunt opener due to work. came up saturday night. saw a fawn sunday morn, got lucky & a small 8pt i couldn't resist walked right under my stand. nothing on monday. my dad's been out almost every day and has jumped a couple does on his way out/into the stand but hasn't seen a deer while sitting. buddy that came up with me saw nothing. other parties in the bray/lost/kennedy/dollar/grassy lake area that i know of are 0-4, 1-3, 0-6, 1-4, 0-5, & 2-4, 1 spike & 3 does. most of these same parties fill up in the first week. that makes a total of 5-29 for the first week. we usually see at least 2-6 deer in a full day on the stand. very little sign. i know last winter was rough and windy conditions dont help but this is ridiculous!

Nice report! I'm hunting in the Cloverdale area, not too far from you. It really sucks. We have a grand total of one spike buck, a small doe, and two yearlings (by two 11 year old girls, first deer). So, we have four deer for six of us, so far.

there use to be some great hunting around there. lots of small fields, almost all private land, and it seemed like the wolves stay away for the most part. back in high school i knocked on an older gentlemans door to see if i could pick boughs on his property. it's off the dirt road that goes north/south between 8 & 56. small house on the west side. he invited me in for a coffee and he had about 10 bucks on his wall that were huge, guessing 140"-160". said they were all shot behind his house. i'll never forget that wall! good luck and i hope you get a few more for the freezer

There's plenty of wolves in this area now. As a matter-of-fact, my son, who lives on Hilltop Road, near the Cloverdale Hall, had them walking right down the road and behind his house. Neighbor across the road had six of them in his field, close to the house, many evenings. So many, in fact, that some were "removed" by the authorities (Dept. of Agriculture I believe).

The wolves seem to have moved back into the main area I've been hunting. Had them howling only a few hundred yards from me while on stand the other day just before dark. Don't mind the lone one here and there but when a pack moves through you might as well move out for awhile. Around the house it's been the coyotes, woke the wife and I up the other night howling, swear they were in the driveway. They have been around my place all fall.

Here's my little 8pt. Nothing to brag about but he sure is tender! He surprised me while I was checking this site on my phone so I snapped a quick before pic. He was about 15yds out. Pulled up the gun while he was under the stand and pulled the trigger about 30yds out, had to wait for the brush to clear up a little before I squeezed. He was quartered away pretty bad, that's why the shot's so far back. When I gutted him he had a hole right through the heart.

Before:

1321648044.jpg

After:

1321648008.jpg

I used to always kinda feel for the deer hunters in wolf country and still do, not that I don't feel the wolf has a place in our state, but now south of US HWY 10 packs of them are establishing in some spots near me and I understand a bit better, my dad had one by his mailbox the other day, he couldn't believe it. Nice chunky buck fishuhalik!