• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

cookie129

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

cookie129

Was able to say goodbye to  everyone this morning before they hit the road. Spent a couple hours cleaning up the shacks so I could shut down the heaters. 

This weekend, Ryan and his crew will be coming for the cabin. We have Boar and his wife  coming up this weekend also,. Sounds like There friends are going to stay in montana for one night. Old Minnesota is still open as well as California. There is also a chance that north Dakota is open. Jeff will also be bringing  his ice castle for us to rent this year. I know it sleeps 4  with no problems. I'll have more details once its here.

Looking at the forecast there is a chance that we will be getting the house's out on the lake the first week in Dec. If all goes as planned they will be fishable by Dec.,7th. For now we will just keep them in there spots tucked away in the woods on the shores of upper red lake.

I would say there were less the 30 portables out  there yesterday that I could see from our end.

I would expect even less today since its back to the grind for most.

Also looking at the forecast I may get out on the  deer stand again.

One of my favorite ways to deer hunt when I was younger was still hunting through the woods. I took my first deer a 200 pound field dressed 10 pointer hunting this way with a 20 gouge shotgun. I also took my first deer with my 30 30  still hunting into the wind. 

Here's another story from my many adventures trying to harvest a deer with my recurve

The area I took my first deer was close to Wyoming Minnesota. I had a trail through the swamp that I had slowly made with a set of clippers.  The trail came up onto the point of a oak tree ridge. With a lite drizzle/rain that fall afternoon my plans were to still hunt through the swamp up onto the ridge.

Just as I took my first step onto high ground I spotted a doe leaned up against a big old oak tree. She was laying at the base. She had no clue I was less then 30 yards from her. I was totally into the focus mode. As I pre paired for the shot my arrow was all ready knocked on the string. I took my time, I drew back, picked my spot and let her fly. The arrow  hit just above her back, she basically had to crawl out from underneath the arrow sticking in the tree. As she jumped up at least 7 other deer jumped up!!!. Seemed there was a deer laying next to every big oak tree . I was so focused on that doe I must of had binders on as I never saw any of them. When I pulled my arrow out of the tree the broadhead was buried into the tree , so it broke off. I imagine if the tree is still there the broadhead is still in that tree.

There was a small pile of hair ,with not a single drop of blood. 

Lesson learned, when you see a deer be aware. There may be a heard if you take the time to look around

• Thumbs Up 1

ozzie

love the stories!  Glad to see you getting time to relax before the grind of the season begins!  Good Luck this season and be safe and as always I look forward to your morning reports!!

cookie129

She been a little more quiet here on the shores of upper red lake. There has been a few  fishermen out there everyday that I can see from shore. I have also heard from the grape vine that there catching some fish, 

We do have some guest starting to arrive today through out the weekend so I should have a few more first hand reports coming .

I did talk to Buddy Hillmen yesterday,  Hillmen's is going to" HOLD OFF"  allowing single axel ice house out due to the 3 inches of snow we received last night.  Wheeler/side by sides/ sleds are a go.

He does ask that you stay on this side of a active crack out 2 miles or so. He also still has some on shore lodging. I also ask about the behemoth, his giant double decker house. The plans  are to again have it rentable on the ice this year. If I remember right it will sleep 10. There number is 218 647 8504.

I'm looking at possible getting on the ice  towards the end of next week but mother nature may throw a wrench in our plans with this snow.

I did have a customer take me up on my roast in the oven with taters,

carrots and onion  when you arrive.  It will be interesting to see how that turns out. I expect they will walk in and say man does it smell good in hear.

our plans this week are again to work on getting organized for the season. We have to go over to Davids in gather some 2x4 for blocking. They need to be cut up and that's always a chore since I do not operate a chain saw.

White lightning needs a water pump ,but I need to put that off for a bit. Blue thunder got her first work out as I had to go plow the gas station out this morning as well as our property. I was sure hoping we would not get any snow un tell I had the houses out on the lake . I knew I should of did the no snow snow dance. Oh well you would think I would learn but I realize after 17 years mother nature is and always will be the boss here on such a grand lake.

Jonny boys buddies were up last weekend  and snagged a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie.

My plans are to give it another shot with the bow and arrow this weekend. I picked up some new gloves, and a couple hand warmers.

Years ago I had built a deluxe deer stand up where the greek and I hunted for years.. Yes here come another lesson in not what to do. I had gotten to the stand before light . a lite snow was coming down but as day broke it turned into a mix of snow rain and ice rain. I was hunkered down in my stand with my bow hanging  on a branch, The bow was completely covered with a thin coating of ice. A nice 6 point buck magically appeared coming straight towards me. I slowly grabbed my bow as the deer had no clue I was sitting 9 feet up in the air. He was walking right at me so I had no shot. After what seemed like a eternity  he was standing right under my stand. My heart was pounding . I thought for sure he could here my heart thumping 10 feet away. He slowly started to mossy away from me . I was going to have the perfect shot quart ting  away from me. As I raised my bow, I drew back, it sounded like a broken chandelier hitting the ground as the ice shattered. A sound a deer wants no part of has he bounded away in two giant leaps. Lesson learned if its ice raining  you might want to keep the bow from freezing into a popsicle.

• Thumbs Up 2

Parmer

I read on Roger's resort web page they were letting 16 ft and under permanents out this weekend with an atv or side by side. Just out to the crack. 

cookie129

test

test

test

Sorry guys

kelly-p
11 hours ago, cookie129 said:

I did talk to Buddy Hillmen yesterday,  Hillmen's is going to" HOLD OFF"  allowing single axel ice house out due to the 3 inches of snow we received last night.  Wheeler/side by sides/ sleds are a go.

I think that could be a very good call by Buddy. Any wind and this snow would drift around the houses and the additional weight would sink this early ice bringing water up. You could get the house out of the water but snow could soak up the water creating additional weight and more sinking.  You could end up with many sunken slush pockets with thinner ice under them that could last for weeks waiting for someone to drive into them.

11 hours ago, cookie129 said:

He does ask that you stay on this side of a active crack out 2 miles or so.

Off shore wind on Saturday.  If someone decides that they are smarter then everyone else on the lake and goes to the other side of this crack they could suddenly find themselves on the wrong side of a not only active crack but a very wide crack.

• Thumbs Up 2

cookie129

well I was able to visit  SnowbearJosh for a few minutes last night.. He brought his kids and dad for a red lake adventure in his sno bear. They ended up landing about 20 fish with his 3 year old son Levi landing 3 walleyes.

Joe, Carl and Chris headed to the south and crushed the fish .  Chris said everywhere the drilled hole was a solid 10 inches of ice, so were defiantly getting closer to hauling the houses out onto the lake.

Good old mother nature threw a wrench in all my plans yesterday as I spent a better part of the day plowing. After the store and our place I headed over to Hillmens to clean up the landing. Buddy Hillmen did start on the road with a stripped down plow truck. There were 3 times as many fishermen out there yesterday then Wednesday for sure. I expect a very busy weekend .

My as well share another hunting story. The first year I ever hunted I was 17 years  old, My step dad/dad bought me a  marlin 30 30 lever action.  I ask if we needed to sight it in? He said nope they come sighted in? Off we went to his hunting spot .  Opening morning we headed own a trail in the dark. I had no clue about hunting deer. We came  upon a clearing, with the wind blowing 20 miles a hour right into are faces. We just stood there as it got lighter and lighter. After maybe a 1/2 hour of day light my dad says lets walk across the field  to get out of the wind. We start to walk across and two deer jump up that were bedded down right in front of us. He threw his 44 up to his shoulder and fired off a couple rounds as I stood there in aww or shock?. As the deer made it into the woods he says I think I hit one? You stay here and I'll go in the woods and check. I'm now standing there all by myself with no clue about hunting when all of a sudden this deer come out of the woods running right past me. As I bring the rifle up instead of pulling the hammer back I calk the gun and eject a round out. I then panic and start looking for my shell on the ground as the deer runs right by me. I did not learn my lesson, two days later I did the same thing ejecting my bullet. Then looking for it on the ground rather then shooting at the deer.

• Thumbs Up 2

cookie129

I guess you would call it maybe a fishing frenzy. We had a few guest stay here on shore in the houses. 

Boar aka Jeff and Lori figured they landed 25 fish through out the day after moving once. They kept there 8 and came off the lake before dark where they headed to Westwind the premier resort here on the shores of upper red lake, where they did the hook and cook for 10 dollars. Mike and Jane also got there 8. Jeff and his 2 boys brought up the ice castle I will renting this year. I have not nick named it but its a beauty. Were going to go over some details later today.

Wild be came up with His son Brandon and a couple of Brandon"' friends, They did not do as well but  went home with a few. 

Jake and his son Trent also came up and did well. Trent is in 4th grade , he out fished his dad . Plus he shot his first duck this year. We chatted about kids hunting and fishing, Nice to see for sure.

Ryan and his crew stayed in the cabin. They also had great fishing. Brent  and his buddy Tony ? stayed in Old Minnesota. They struggled the first day but managed to find a couple yesterday.

Just as I figured  she was going to be busy this weekend. I counted well over 100 vehicles at westwind  another 50 or so parked at Hillmens.  Looking out on the lake  they were pop ups strung out all along  where beacon harbor has there marked trail. 

Our plans are to clean the house's for the third time. Then I will be staging them on the lake for the up and coming  weekend. They may or may not be out in fishy water, as we still need a couple more inches of ice.  I have had them on 12 inches but they do flood.

I did spend some time over at Hillmens resort working on the main road. Just like every other year, you could land a 747 on it if need be. A mile out there is a active pressure ridge. From the looks of it we will be dealing with a bridge a good part of the year. I could be wrong which would be a good thing. 

Good old mother nature, It can be tough wishing for super cold  but its the nature of the beast. I guess I need to now start doing a come on cold, cold dance? The snow we got will make banking up the house nice ,as I like to bank them like there's no tomorrow. Its more work but well worth it.

The strong ne winds put a damper on my hunt as the wind was not favorable for my stand. 

I hope everyone is enjoying my deer stories , who knows maybe one of my mishaps will help you harvest a deer.

I had placed a stand in the middle of a swamp. There were a few trees just large enough for  a portable. I have always hung my stands about 6 feet of the ground. I had purchased my first grunt call. I had never used one.

There I was sitting in the bare tree in the middle of a swamp with no cover other then the tree truck which was just round enough to support my stand. About 75 yards just to my left I see a nice 6 point buck or so, angling away from me. I pull out the grunt tube and give it 3 quick bleeps and he stops in his tracks. He looks my way. Hmmm I think? I bleep it  a couple more times, he turns and starts trotting right towards me. He never stops. He trots right at me where he stops not 10 feet away. Looking straight at me we have  what seemed like a 10 minute stare off, he huffs, he puffs, he stomps his hoof. Over and over.  I 'm holding my bow with a arrow knocked, again my heart is pounding. He finally has had enough of this blob in a tree , he gives out a big snort and bounds away.. 

The lesson I learned that day . I always carry a grunt tube. I  constantly bleep on them while sitting on stand in the woods.  You just never know when a deer is with in hearing range but you do not see them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

postman

Always enjoy your deer hunting stories and Red Lake reports! Keep them coming!

• Thumbs Up 1

cookie129

From my observations,  and from my guest, I would have to say the lake got absolutely pounded this past weekend. I even ate some fresh fish this past weekend, even though I still have not wet a line.

Yesterday from the sounds of it was a bit slower, but that only makes sense as there were 1/4 of the fishermen from Saturday. For some reason you never see the poor reports. I guess I should of wet a line to say I did not catch any.

Our friend Jeff brought up his ice castle for us to rent so last night we went over all the bells and whistles.. Wow what a unit, They have thought of every thing on them ice castles. Even though the house is not themed per say  were going to nick name it Kentucky.  A customers/ Kim joy and Tim bob had ask me if I would name the next house Kentucky. Kentucky will sleep 4 very comfortably.

I got Florida and old Minnesota recleaned yesterday. The cabin ,Montana and north Dakota will be on the to do list today. The cabin is wide open un tell Friday. 

The plan as of today is start getting the houses out of the woods , out on the ice where they will be staged waiting for  more ice. I would say crunch time is just around the corner. I sure would like the houses on 14 inches of ice to start the season.

Hillmen's highway is shaping up nicely, Buddy Hillmen has staked it out quite always. I will have more info tomorrow once I talk to him.

I'm planning on getting out to my deer stand tonight as the wind will be in my favor, I've never been a trophy hunter but feel I have a knack for finding there hiding spots.

Back when I did a lot of still hunting I was hunting  the woods I had taken my first deer. I had been over that oak ridge many, many times so I knew it very well. I had cut a trial through the swamp every time I walked through from that direction. I would trim branches and move obstacles. I had walked the perimeter many times over a few years. 

That morning I was basically walking the same route I had when I harvested my first deer a heavy  10 point 200 lb. field dressed deer. As I was working my way through the oak trees I spotted him before he spotted me. I could see he was another big bodied deer with a nice rack. My heart began to pound. He was tailing away from me about 60 yards away. I would have to get closer for a shot. As I watched him through the woods. I did my best to be silent and close the gap. After maybe gaining 10 yards all of a sudden he was gone. I had for gotten that there was a low spot in that area. I took a few more quick steps and all of a sudden he was standing right in front of me 30 yards away. I froze but I was busted. He snorted, whirled around and took off like a rocket. My first thought was! I know right where he is going.  I take off running threw the woods with bow in hand. I get to where I expect him to come out. totally out of breath.  Seconds later he comes off the oak ridge running right past me as I'm standing there so out of breath I can not even get my bow in position. I could of reached out a poked him as he ran buy.

• l Love It 1

cookie129

We now have all our houses staged out in front of hillmens resort.  It sure felt good to all most be on the lake. Were right around the corner, with all the accesses allowing different options at this time. From the most part it sounds like no one is allowing 1/2 tons yet? The best thing is to contact the resort access you plan to use or follow them on social media. Rather then call me. I only have info on Buddy hillmens highway/access. We are dealing with a pressure ridge  1 mile out , so Buddy has been telling fishermen to stay on this side un tell we build more ice.  I have been very busy getting all our houses staged and have not even talked to buddy recently.

There have only been a handful of fishermen  this week but Lonnie and Kraig managed to get there 8 fish. Jonny boy got out just for a bit and got on the board. I still have him beat as I got 3 with out ever wetting a line.

• Thumbs Up 1

cookie129

The first weekend is in the books. We had fishermen in old Minnesota ,florida and montana.  Everyone still brought wheelers and portables. Some did better then others. Our houses had some action ,mostly  during the bewitching hours morning and evening. 

Last night it did pick up for Lorenzo and his gal Janel. They were heading to westwinds to have there fish cooked for lunch.

I do have Bobby and Dale coming up today as well as dan . 

For some reason the snow on the lake is like perfect for banking at this time. Its like sugar sand.  

Were all full next weekend  so will be busy moving all the house before friday

• Thanks 1

aczr2k

As always thanks for the reports.