• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

cookie129

• 2 weeks later...

The last two years have been so busy for me II adapted to copying and pasting  my posts.

I feel like Ii owe the sight for allowing me to share my experiences on such a grand lake. 

This year the fishing was brutal , Last year had to be one of our best walleye years, followed by one of our worst?

One great highlight was Brad Turk bringing his daughter up for one night. Brad dad Bill was on here quite a bit before he passed away. There must of been a little intervention as they had some great fishing , They even headed home early. They came on a Thursday, so I left the house right where it was for are next guest. They caught a few fish but nothing like Brad and Ryley did . The house was only fished 8 hours by Ryley and Brad. The hammer and I were in old Minnesota that night. Wemaybe caught 2 less then 200 feet away.

Sean brought his wife and daughter plus his good friend Jeoff. They had outstanding fishing . They were straight west of where brad and Ryley had been. Then Paul came up with his crew.  I put them right where Sean was the first 20 hours. I think they got 3 fish. I then moved them doing the cookie shuffle that someone coined.. Just like that they had better fishing. I know they were watching us when we moved them  and thought is this guy goofy moving us 100 feet.

Then the last weekend  I gambled we would still do well working our way west. Afew fish were caught but again not the best fishing.

My crappie get together is on hold as of now as I brought the houses close to shore for now. I have some spots we want to try but I need to watch whet the lake does with all the snow as  It's not worth tearing up the equipment

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Cookie glad you made it through the season!  They all seem to have the highs and lows but you always seem to come out the other side with another year under your belt!  I gave your number to a client of mine as we were talking about the wonderful Upper Red and he mentioned wanting to do some crappie fishing and I told him about your get together.  Hope you are ok with that.  Take care and enjoy your "vacation" time

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

Is the GoFundMe still up? What's the link?  I've never had the pleasure of using your houses but have always enjoyed reading your reports and stories here over the years.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep your spirits up Cookie!  You have a great support system around you, and time will heal your wounds we hope!  Hopefully you can make it out to the lake a few times this season to see that beautiful sunrise and sunset that red lake is known for.  Thought are with your and your family and thanks for finding anytime just to keep us posted on your recovery as we all care for your well being.  Merry Christmas to you and your family!!  Take care- Ozzie

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Well, well, well., Here goes another report.
As I shared in my last report I'm a little laid up this winter from a car accident. I did go out Saturday eve for a couple hour's  to a friends shed party. He is a cattle farmer and had fresh rocky mountain oysters. I even got the hammer to try a bite. It really help me mentally to see some of the locals and have a few laughs. There were some hand shakes and hugs and a little talk how things could of been worse.
 I did here through the grape vine that white or orange plain hooks have been the hot set up?
 Visiting our customers is still  not in the books as I'm also dealing with a concussion that makes it hard to focus.
 I did venture out on to the lake yesterday just to check things out. Just as I figured Buddy Hillman has built another outstanding road that you could land your own 747 on. Straight as a arrow, wide as a runway. 
 The fishing reports have been very mixed. Jonny boy and Richie rich moved at least 4 house yesterday with Minnesota and north Dakotas customers  getting a chance to fish a new spot the second day. Jonny boy found a decent spot and moved most of the fleet in that direction. From the sounds of it was a good move as all the houses were having action last night. Good job guys they might be after my job?
 Brian and Stacy checked into Montana yesterday . They have been coming for quite  a few years just before Christmas so I would like to  at least go say hello to them today. 
 Its still going to be a very busy Christmas  as we have 4 units being used Christmas eve and day.
I have heard from just a couple customers over the phone and they all have commented that Jonny boy is taking good care of them whish makes me feel good. 
 Our books are slowly filling in. But just like the past few years quite a few call  last minute looking for a house the next or coming weekend?
 I be leave Buddy Hillmans 218 647 8504 and my friend Thad 507 360 6405 may have openings as they have quite a few houses.
 I have to talk to Buddy Hillman as I may start hanging out at there store in the morning helping out a bit. At least collect access fees for them early arrivers.
 On a very sad day my Mother passed away yesterday, She of course was one of  a kind. It was a relief to know she does not have to suffer any more. She was 80 and had a hell of a life. I guess you could say she played like baseball. All out, sliding for home and waring out her body along the way. She was quite the fighter and boy do I have some crazy memories of our child hood. She always said she should write a book and I would have to agree. It might be fun to share a few stories of her crazy life. She met my dad in mpls when she was young. Dad was from right here in waskish , mom grew up just west of Bemidji. There were 10 kids, they basically lived in a shed when they were young. She married John and they moved to Denver where me and my sister were born. Grandma Olga came to see me when I was born and my sister was saying her first word  Cookie. That's where I got my nick name as she said, that will be his nick name. Dad was not to happy  he said no son of mine will be named cookie. lol. They divorced when I was 3 and she remarried Carl Paulciani when I was 5. He owned a couple different bars in Denver area and that's where all the crazy child hood began

• I Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

good to hear Cookie!!  sounds like you are doing better, hope so anyway!!   

sorry to hear about your Mother..  may she RIP...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Sounds like you have some amazing memories. God bless Cookie.

condolences on the loss of your mother.  I have heard/read you speak of your mother in the past about the strong character she was.  I hope you find peace and happiness during the holiday season.  You will continue to be in my thoughts

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Sorry for your loss. Glad to hear your getting along even though I don't get up there as much anymore  really enjoy reading your stuff brings back some good memories. 

Merry Xmas Cookie!

Very sorry for he loss of your Mom, sounds like she lived a life well lived tho?. I lost my mother 6 years ago to cancer, the last year was not pretty. They are both in a better place right now!

My son and I are heading up tomorrow morning, staying with Steve and Tyler. I’ve got a small gift basket to drop off for you and the “hammer”.   We should be up about noon and will stop at the house to drop it off if that is OK.  

Stay strong and keep your spirits up!!

Xplorer/Chris

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey cookie ,it’s bigfatbert here , so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother as I’m sure she was a wonderful person ,as are you !! Yes life gives us all some “great” and some “not so great” . We all must take the great with the not so great , its just the way it is , it’s all part of our short journey here on earth . Your God given gift of life here is great , your a great gift to all your family and all of your friends including me . your Hammer is a great gift , ur children are great gifts , those Red lake Crappie and beautiful Red lake sunsets are both great gifts , enjoy the greats and just remember we all get those “not so greats ” in one way or another , you don’t stand alone there whatsoever. Your so very unfortunate car accident definitely falls into that not so great category , but always remember all of those “greats” THAT YOU DO HAVE , and those “not so greats” just become a thing of the past and allows you to enjoy all the greats that you have all that much more ..  take care Cookie  , and yes today I surely hope that you and all of yours have a “great” and Merry Christmas !!  

• I Like it 1

bigfatbert,

you  are so correct  I have always looked at things as it all happens for a reason? Crashing my car was a struggle at first.  With friends help and encouragement from other' s, a few locals with  just the hugs and handshake.

I think I may of found the reason.  My very good high school friend Bob made a comment last week that hit the nail on the head. When the red baron breaks down or blue thunder I have always said to my self well someone does not want me in that truck or on the ice? I'ts a "grand lake and it still owes me nothing"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Cookie,

We missed you at the house, but your Holiday/Get well gift is inside the outer door. Hope you and the Mrs enjoy it!!

Out on the lake in12/13’, just got lines down. Good luck to all!!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 inches of snow threw a wrench in to the operation. At least we avoided the high winds. With a chance of up to 10 inches of snow predicted this weekend, starting Saturday. I will be stepping outside doing the no snow snow dance today for sure.
 Yesterday I had  the treat of hanging out in I  and the Hammers favorite house old Minnesota. Lets say it was atreat as I actauly got a couple more trinkets I found under the bed that I have been trying get screwed into the wall for more then one winter. Most years there never seems to be the time. Being layed up all winter as far as working I'm going to get to fish in all the houses.  I will also get to do some scouting /fishing. Lets hope I do not get to spoiled.
 Jonny boy and Richy Rich seem to be doing a outstanding job the first 2 weeks of the season. The houses have done above average for fishing , With not one complaint. The few customers I have spoken to have all said your son is taking good care of us. That sure puts a smile on my face. 
 Yesterday we again had a hick up on blue thunder as the boss plow stopped working . With great relief Jonny boy found a area to wiggle some wiring to get it operating again this morning. They will have to try and track down the culprit.
 The red baron also hit the lake as the 3 inches of snow needed to be cleared off of Hillmans highway. Jonny boy said she or he performed well.
 Joe and his paw were in Colorado and were up to 19 fish with another dozen missed. I think this has to be 4 years they have came up. They were having a grand time on a grand lake last night.
 The guys in Kentucky were here just for the day . They had 4 kids  and 2 adults. Not sure of the total but they had a bucket full of fish when I said goodbye last night. 
 Dan and Mel did a prime rib on a rotisserie  Christmas eve. The hammer and I went out and enjoyed a delicious meal on the ice. They  have been coming up here for over 15 years summer and winter. Mel had the biggest fish so far last night a healthy 22 incher.
 Jonny boy has been catching fish every night , having to pull up the rattle wheels to get some sleep. 
 Richy Rich and his gal Shelia  have also been fishing . Not even sure how many they have caught? 
Jason and his gal bailed a day early with the 3 inches of snow coming. I did talk to her Sally? Not Gale on the phone yesterday and they made it home fine . She said they got there 8 I think ? 7 for sure.
 Now for a little venting, My car accident has given a concussion to boot. 3 different doctors not one gave me advise on what to do. I spent a hour  researching it a few nights ago. Turns out I have the worst of 4 types. looking further into it . I have been home sine the 26th of November. Some of the things I read, stay off of phone, texting , internet. Avoid bright lights. I have been walking down to the lake on the sunny days as my back doctor said I could walk all I want as long as I have  the brace on. Avoid tv? I have been watching tv since I got home, Eat plenty of fish? salmon etc. lots of veggies  and fruit.   I put a small Christmas tree up with white lights errrr.
 So the scoop is. Please call  do not text if possible. I will be doing my best to avoid internet, phone, brite lites. tv etc
 Thanks I will have a fresh report Monday or Tuesday
 The last thing  as that Old timer told me that use to host the Viking purple people eaters. Its A Grand lake and owe us NOTHING! NOTHING

• I Like it 1

10 hours ago, cookie129 said:

thank you so much xplorer, we had some of it last not so so good

Glad you did, I’ve heard you talk about surf and turf so hoped you both would enjoy it and was nice to talk to ya and that you put a nice eye in the bucket.  Unfortunately, we only go to stay 2.5 hours before we had to leave back home for a medical issue.   I really want to thank Steve at Bearpaw Guides for understanding, he’s a great outfitter like Cookie!    Junior and I hope to get a chance to get back up this season and spend some time on a lake that owe’s us nothing ?

sounds like its pretty tough going up there right now......west wind said there not being able to plow roads till this weather moves along. hopefully Monday and telling everyone to stay put and that they'll get to them ASAP!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2019 at 7:27 PM, Xplorer said:

Glad you did, I’ve heard you talk about surf and turf so hoped you both would enjoy it and was nice to talk to ya and that you put a nice eye in the bucket.  Unfortunately, we only go to stay 2.5 hours before we had to leave back home for a medical issue.  

Xplorer, I hope everything is ok with the medical issue.

I haven't been up to Red in a few years. I need to get back up there soon.

Most want to now know what the conditions are like.. Each resort has there own problems to deal with so please give them a day to evaluate the conditions. Most will post info once they know. Calling and texting today only slows every one down in my own opinion. 
   The week between Christmas and new year  is super busy every year.. It may of even been busier with red lake allowing wheel houses out. Those that decided to ride out the storm got to experience what all the resorts and outfitter get every year. Those that pulled the trigger and left the lake made a good decision as once these storms roll in you are basically stranded.
 Jonny boy and Richy rich were able  to stay on the lake with our customers.  They had a sled out there which was huge, as that was more then likely the only way to move around. I have had to stay on the lake a few times over the years during these types of storms and its not for everybody. 
 The hammer and I tried to go to the cities this weekend and made a bad decision trying to take white lightning. She had to drive be cause I did not feel comfortable dealing with this concussion. Time we had gotten to grand rapids my back was a hurting , the hammer was also stressed as she has never driven a pick up on icy roads. White lightning has been a lake truck since we acquired it. Saturday morning I took it for a ride  down the highway and realized how sloppy the steering is.. We decided to hunker down and wait out the storm and get back home as there was no way my back could take the ride.
 Not being able to take care of my customers was driving me crazy, then yesterday when the guys were digging out I needed to know more.  They were so busy  they really had no time to give me minute to minute updates. Which was again driving me crazy. Today I have to give Jonny boy and Richy Rich a pat on the back as they dealt with all the citations on the lake.
 I did get to see both the red baron and blue thunder go by last evening to get more fuel . They got a major workout yesterday with another day coming up.  The hammer and I picked up a new alternator for the red baron , Today I need to look at the batteries and get them replaced asap.
 I had a very nice email from Vin that was here a week ago. They had a blast in north Dakota and old Minnesota and would like to come back next year. I've also have had more then one compliment that Jonny boy and Richy rich are doing a great job out there which defiantly takes some of the worries out of me.
 Its really hard to break down who were in houses and which house caught some fish. From the sounds of it the area we set up was nothing like it was before? Same old pattern, the area gets overwhelmed with traffic plus surrounded ,then the fishing tapers off...
I have no clue how north Dakota did. I'm thinking they got off the lake before the storm hit.
Keith is still in Florida, I did talk to him last night, they rode out the storm , if I remember right they have caught fish needing one more for there limits. I'm not even sure who is with him.
 Pat ryan and the kids had old minnesta and montana. they had only gotten 5 the first day which they took to westwind for dinner on Saturday. Sunday they were snowed in and had to stay a extra day.
 Our grand daughter Ashly poo and kevin have only landed a few fish in California as they also rode out the storm. 
 ken and his daughter came a day early to beat the storm sothey also rode out the storm in Colorado, I'm also not sure how Jeff and Bethany did in Kentucky.
 Matt  and his daughter had a grand time on a grand lake and said they would come again. They also got off the lake before the brunt of the storm.
 Yesterday I had to cancel some new arrivals with possibly more to follow until we can evaluate the conditions out there.
 All the house need to be pulled out of there spots as the whole area has to be evacuated, There were so many wheel houses ,trucks etc in that area the drifting  has created a lot of weight in that square mile for sure.
 I hope to know a lot more tomorrow but mother nature was not kind to us over the weekend

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a whole lot to report on the fishing as most of the resorts and outfitters have been trying to make new plans. 2 days were spent up here getting too wheel houses, followed by rentals. The red baron  and blue thunder  had there first major workouts of the year. Have not heard yet but  red baron may of blown a radiator hose last night. We took blue thunder up to David's to try and thaw out in his shop over night as I have never seen so much ice on her. Should of took a picture. Even though it set all night she still had ice in the back.
 It's really hard after 18 years to not be able to  be out there improvising, going from plan A to plan B all the way to lets start over. I did  talk to one of my best friends  Billy aka The Greek  as Grandma Olga nick named him about my concussion? He mentioned I need to also rest my brain, which makes total sense. Other then its really hard to when every thing you have work for  all these years is out of your hands. Jonny boy  and richy rich have been doing a outstanding job.  But this storm created  quite a few problems I have not even experienced.  I did get out there  the 31rst to see for my self. From what I saw a good mile by mile where the majority of the wheel house and rental were is  probably shot for the year. All the drifting created a lot of weight . I will be so relieved to know or  see all 8 rentals safely on new ice completely away from that area. We have been canceling reservation day by day so far. If all plans go well we may be in operation today with one house being used as a day house for Tom and his crew. Then Pat and his crew will be up today using Kentucky  as a cabin possibly fishable? Rick  and his crew will be up Friday morning for north dakpta followed by Bradly staying in Colorado.
 As far as I know Hillmans is still closed to all wheel houses and traffic.
 Each resort  is dealing with  there own problems. Flooding, making new routes etc . It would be nice to take a cruise on each resort to see how each one has improvised. That is out of the question as driving is out for now. As the Greek mentioned that is not resting my brain.
 Buddy Hillman purchased a tractor with a snow blower to re open his road, which is a first for me to see on his road, It will be interesting to see how its working. From the sounds of it she was throwing snow last night. 
 Our grand daughter Ashley has been up here before the big blow , she rode out the storm on the lake in California. It nice to see her step up and help where she can as she a has always been a good helper. She was nice enough to gather garbage, retrieve  frozen in extension cord s etc., She also shoveled a path for our garage. That's it for about now as I need to rest my brain.

• Thumbs Up 3

I ended up on the lake for a good part of the day yesterday as we had a flooding problem a mile off the main road where we had the houses. None  of the houses had any flooding problems but our main road cracked from the weight of all the snow plus the mild temps might of had a hand in it. Stupid mother nature is again showing us she is the boss. Always has been and always will.
 Years ago  we also had a similar problem as the lake. It cracked all over and most if not all the secondary roads flooded. Some became very deep, then the cold temps blew in glazing them over.  Throw in a little blowing a snow to insulate them. Next thing you know your driving along and crash you brake threw only to be hung up from all the ice chunks sitting in over a foot of water.  You had no real idea which road was safe to drive on.
 The big storm sure made a mess of things in a good square mile of the lake.   Yesterday the first thing is blue thunder was out of commission due to a broken u joint . The red baron was sitting out on the lake next to old Minnesota and would not move as the  rear brakes were frozen with ice.from plowing on the Hillmans highway, then driving threw water.
 We get the torpedo out there and the stupid thing will not work. Back through the standing water on the "secondary roads" breaking though the ice that had formed to borrow a working torpedo. Plus buddy Hillmans parachute to cover blue thunder up to block the wind. Oh did I mention the wind was howling out there yesterday out of the north west  with the temps hoovering around 9. I"m in my pajama bottoms to boot, plus tennis shoe as that's the easiest things to ware having this brace on. 
 Finally after some  chipping and heat we got her to move.. I would cut a new trail, she started off well but after 2 football field the pure white snow blowing off the v-plow turned into wet slush. Now I'm throwing slush instead of snow. Getting around to the house I went through 2 or 3 more slush pockets. Having no choice it was hammer down  until I hit snow again. We now had a trail to the houses and blue thunder with water filling them in not wide enough to pull the skid  houses through .  It doesn't end here though.. I go back to get jonny boy  so he can take out the drive shaft  and bring it to shore as we need a vise to install the new u-joint. Its also time to fill up the red baron. Pounding off some of the ice on her at the gas station. 
I came home to take a break waiting for him to call and also  get out of my wet tennis shoes.
 Of course  the place where you install the u joint is mushroomed so jonny  boy has to try and file it down enough to in stall the caps. Again we head back out but now at least I have more clothes on  plus boots that the hammer had to help me put on, stupid brace I can not tie my own shoes.
 I again try another route around the water and hit slush again. I drop off Jonny boy  Then try to make the trail wide enough to get the skid house out of the area. Jonny boy calls to say we need u joint straps as the other ones  are to damaged from when it broke.  I again head back to pick him up. We head over to help Richey rich's house turned around and back to the main road. W3e get that done, turn around  to go back out to retrieve white lightning which has been idling all day. 
 Now the sun is setting, the generators need to be filled . I come home to start chipping and hammering ice off the red baron ,jonny boy and rich pull in to help me. As the three of us are hammering away it totally reminds me of deadest catch when they have to de ice the ships. One hour later I'm off to Davids to put her in his shop to hopefully melt what ever is left. The hammer picks me up and I'm physically and mentally shot. I guess a little hard work pays off as I had my best sleep  since  my car accident.
 On a bright note we have fisherpeople in montana, florida, north Dakota, and north carolina . I can say some fish have been caught but  how many? Buy who is another story. I'm not making the rounds at this time due to my concussion . 
 Today the goal will be to get both ice castles out of the area followed by old Minnesota and California. 
 I would say yesterday was a grind. Today we also be a grind. we need to get blue thunder up and running. Jonny boy will have to install it out on the lake with a predicted high of - 10. 
 I guess all you can say as That old timer Dave told me with spit coming out of his mouth. Its a grand lake and it owes me or us NOTHING! NOTHING!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1