• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

cookie129

Tuesday they had a meeting up here to address the garbage left on the lake last year. All the road access have dumpsters for garbage so please use them. There were a few fishermen on the lake this week and it sounded like the fishing was a decent. We had rain most of yesterday that turned into a wet sticky snow towards evening that has stuck to every tree branch. It looks like we will start making some more ice and the snow we got is here to stay. Dayton and his crew are headed up today so will see how they do this weekend. I need to get the plow back on blue thunder and it can be a little tricky as I tweaked the frame work years ago. The damage I created last year has been repaired. the red baron also had some plow issues and now has new cutting blades for the up and coming season. All the houses have been wiped down and vacuumed and I think we will have to look at new carpet next year. Are new house north Dakota is 95 % done. Jake will be up towards Christmas to button it up. She's a big house and is a nice addition to the fleet

• Thumbs Up 2

Sounds good. I was hoping there would be a little more to take the sled out of Hillman's tomorrow but a inch or two should work for the 3 wheeler.

Edited by trappingaddiction

Dayton and Dave rolled in Friday afternoon after checking into the cabin they headed out for the evening bite. They had no problem finding some fish which is what I expected. They hit the same spot Saturday and had a good bite at 9am. They came off the lake Saturday eve with there limit and had a nice fish fry at the cabin. They heard through the grape vine of a lake with ice that had a crappie bite and were going to hit that on there way home sunday.
My good friend Wayne came up Friday and spent the weekend. We got a couple things done around here and also got the plow back on blue thunder. The weather was perfect over the weekend for all the portables out there highs in the 30s and no wind. today we have some stronger winds. Dennis and his gal Shelly rolled in yesterday afternoon and headed out to find good fishing also. Dennis brought up his wilcraft which is a portable fish house on wheels with a motor and was designed for early and late ice. It has been years since I saw Dennis as he use to come up during the crappie boom. Dennis is staying a couple days then tom and his crew are arriving Thursday.

• Thumbs Up 2

well we had a little excitement yesterday down on the south shore. Rodgers on red has the whole story  just the way it  happened. I talked to BJ HIllmen last night and they are in good shape with buddy's road marked out to a large crack 3 to 4 miles out. I have not been out there but would assume that crack is marked off where it crosses the road and common sense would say stay on this side of it, Also check in with hillmens when you get your road pass for current conditions as they can change hour to hour minute to minute. I will check with   Buddy later to day but last I heard wheelers were open for travel.
We could get some unwanted snow. They are saying? From the predicted temps I expect it to be a wet snow. Lets all hope it just clips or misses us as snow cover will have such a effect on making ice once that cold temps hit Thursday night.
Dennis and Shell came off the lake a bit after dark driving his wilcraft. They found good fishing pretty close to shore and did not travel that far out.
 Gassed up blue thunder yesterday and could here a low growl or squeak coming from the left front so will have to keep a eye on that. I drove down to the lake and inspecting all the mounting points on plow I noticed a pin was missing its cotter pin. I drove up to the garage, got a cotter pin, went to put it in and the pin had fallen out when I drove back up to the house. I walked down to the lake and with some good luck found it laying on the ground instead of buried in the snow.

.Talk to Buddy Hillmen and his access is open to wheeler's. He is asking that you do not venture out over a mile and half. There is a large crack with open water 4 miles out crossing his staked road. Tom and his crew canceled for the cabin this weekend with the forecast of snow starting tonight. Dennis and Shelly headed home after going out this morning and getting the 6 fish limit

T

well we ended up with 3 1/2 inches of snow . Better then the predicted 7 or 8 but more then we wanted. The temps have dropped and we are now truly making a little bit more ice. I would think we will gain a inch or two by Sunday witch will bring us up to around 8 to 9. Mike and his crew caught fish yesterday. I think they are going to stay another night? Darrin and his crew went home with there 9. I fired up blue thunder yesterday to plow and the noise coming from the left front does not sound to good. I be leave its the u joint and needs to be addressed asap. I plowed down at the lake to give the ground a chance to freeze better and clear out a area for Adam and his crew to camp with there wheel houses this weekend.
I talked to Jake and he will be up Friday to button up our new house North Dakota. We may try and move it down to the lake sunday. I'm a little concerned about that u joint  though . The plan is to get the houses out of the woods sometime next week and that can really put torque on the 4 wheel drive. One of the fishing sites has a satellite pic of the lake on dec. 13th and you can see the big crack that runs through the center of the lake..

ell we ended up with 3 1/2 inches of snow . Better then the predicted 7 or 8 but more then we wanted. The temps have dropped and we are now truly making a little bit more ice. I would think we will gain a inch or two by Sunday witch will bring us up to around 8 to 9. Mike and his crew caught fish yesterday. I think they are going to stay another night? Darrin and his crew went home with there 9. I fired up blue thunder yesterday to plow and the noise coming from the left front does not sound to good. I be leave its the u joint and needs to be addressed asap. I plowed down at the lake to give the ground a chance to freeze better and clear out a area for Adam and his crew to camp with there wheel houses this weekend.
I talked to Jake and he will be up Friday to button up our new house North Dakota. We may try and move it down to the lake sunday. I'm a little concerned about that u joint though . The plan is to get the houses out of the woods sometime next week and that can really put torque on the 4 wheel drive. One of the fishing sites has a satellite pic of the lake on dec. 13th and you can see the big crack that runs through the center of the lake

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes will be up tomorrow to button up North Dakota. There will be a few finishing touches that will be done (wants not needs) after this weekend but will be ready for ice!!! I'll post a few pics after this weekend. Hopefully the cold weather sticks around for a few more nights. Sounds like the bite has been pretty solid with lots of fish being caught and peak times at sunrise and sunset. I'll be trying my luck tomorrow night!

good morning to all. Talked to Budddy Hillmen yesterday around 10 am. He did not agree with me as I figured we would gain 2 inches of ice by sunday evening. He said with the snow cover and ice he highly doubted we will make that much ice. He then headed out to start dragging his super highway a mile out with his Dakota pickup. His mechanic Kelly ask if I wanted to open the next mile of road with blue thunder. I told them I did not have the kahunas to do it. Mother nature reared her ugly side yesterday and I was thank full the houses are still tucked in the woods as it was white out conditions.  If the houses were on the lake they would of had some major drifts around them.
The guys in the cabin headed out around 1pm yesterday and that had to be a wicked walk out of westwinds straight into those west winds howling to beat the band.   I can just imagine how tough it had to be to put up a portable. I spent a hour plowing down at the lake to keep it open when the time comes to get the houses out of the woods. I have a couple wheel houses camping down there this weekend also. I will head down there in a bit and plow again as the snow was piling up pretty good down there yesterday. I did pick up a new front u joint for blue thunder and that will be addressed this weekend

With this snow I don't think we will pick up much ice. At least not nearly as much as if we had glare ice when this cold snap started.

Ryan and Dan rolled in around 3 yesterday, They got on the lake and only fished a couple hours and beers and managed 10 with another 10 swing and a miss. Adam and his crew found another spot to camp with the ice house and were a no show. Jake and I need to head to Bemidji to pick up a few more pieces of trim to button up north Dakota. Wow is it nice. It will be a non smoking house  apon Jakes request. It will also be our biggest house . I have two guys staying in there ice castle on my river lot and will see how they do tonight. I got the left front u joint fixed on blue thunder so that's a relief, it was nice to fix it before it broke and created more damage.  Wow is there a lot of fishermen on the lake, I hope they save some fish for our houses once they get on the lake. Being with the limited lodging here in waskish I would assume there's a lot of fishermen here just for the day as the lake is peppered with portables. Were hoping by new years to have the houses on the ice but only mother nature will allow us to get out there. I'm looking for at least 14 inches every where before I take them out of the woods. My plans are again to go out of hillmen's and help with the road . I do not run a road off my property even though I have access to the lake.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Cookie, I just saw this. did you put in an axle u joint with a grease zerk? With the condition you use the truck for I would highly recommend it. Then each spring you can pump some fresh grease in it and be good to go for the next year. Take care and stay safe. Keith

North Dakota is ready to fish! I have a few pieces of trim to install yet but cosmetic only. Pulled without any problems down to the lake and is sitting on shore waiting for proper ice. I'd like to thank everyone who helped along the way. I was happy to use all local guys for some of the specialty items. Todd mortenson  helped with with my electric. Mark put the heater in. Barney completed the necessary welding on the skid frank from north country store put the carpet in and did a great job. And of course cookie and kelly. The house turned out great and will sleep up to 5 guys. There is only one weekend open this season but mid week is available and the fishing has been great so far and no reason it shouldn't be a great bite all winter long 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

The cold snapped made a little ice and I have heard a lot of 8 inches here in Waskish on the north east corner of the lake. The further out the less ice. Dan And Mark went out of westwind and had real good fishing. Mark liked the river lot and commented that it was nice and quiet. Adam and his cousin found another spot to camp with there wheel houses  and also did real well. Ryan and Dan in the cabin measured 8 inch of ice and had real good fishing  after they moved from there first spot.  Again the be witching hour was the best fishing for all of them.
Hey Kieth I was not able to get a Moog u joint with a zerk . I had to take what they had  and could not wait for one to  order.
All the worry about moving North Dakota was a waist of time as she moved like  a dream. She jacks up nice and will block up nicely. Jake ran behind the house when I towed it down to the lake and was so excited. Hands shakes and high fives abound. Its a great addition to our fleet and fits right into our theme.
Brian and his crew roll in around noon for a couple of days and then it will be Christmas just like that.

Cookie,

how are we looking for the houses being out on the 1st. Trying to figure out if we will need to plan something else, portables and wheelers

cant wait to see you

thanks

Corey

hi Cory my plans and also what i'm hoping for is cutting a trail and bringing your house and Ricks on the lake the 30th of dec. .

Mitch, Brian and Ross did not do to well yesterday. There staying one more night in the cabin so they have today to redeem them self's. I also heard from a couple others that found slower fishing then expected. I swung into hillmens access and Buddy Hillmens road looks to be in great shape. Lets hope the snow for casted skirts us. It went from 3 to 10 predicted  to 1 to 3 so  will see what happens in the next couple days. The less snow the better. Were making some ice at 19 degrees but not much. It looks like starting new years we will be getting lows in the single digits through out Jan. I spent part of yesterday getting the dodge prospector out of the woods. Putting two wheels back on it was a bit of a chore as them wheels are not lite. A little gas in the carb and she fired right up, the gas line just beyond the filter was spewing gas, Re leaved it did not start a fire a 20 minute fix and she was ready to go. All three trucks are gassed up and  ready to go. The generators all have fresh oil the  houses have been wiped down one final time. Its just a waiting game for mother nature to make us a little more ice. I have had the houses on 12 inches of ice but would prefer at least 14.. All my reservation between Christmas and the 30th have been canceled or rescheduled. I'm hoping to have Minnesota, south Carolina and Florida on the ice dec. 31rst. Every year is different and by the looks of it I will be searching for fish a little closer to shore to start the season.  In the past about the time I get the houses out the shallow  bite has slowed and the houses do not get fished very long before there on the move to deeper water. This year they may get fished a bit more and it will be interesting to see how they do. I expect pretty good fishing with a great night bite so time will tell.
I was surprised how many portables were out there again today for a Monday. It seems we see more and more early season portables every year. The guys in the cabin said Westwinds was packed last night.

I like to wish all a Merry Christmas
cookie

• Thumbs Up 4

Wheelers for sure. To be honest I have not augured a hole yet. I have over a hundreds of holes to auger this winter. Since I need over 12 for my houses I have not been out there as I know theres not 12. It sounds like were getting close to 9 here on the north east corner.

Just talked to Buddy Hillmen and they are allowing wheelers out. He stated he was surprised we have not gained much ice since that cold snap on Friday.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, cookie129 said:

I was surprised how many portables were out there again today for a Monday. It seems we see more and more early season portables every year. The guys in the cabin said Westwinds was packed last night.

This year, I think that your number of portables on URL has to do with a lack of ice in much of the state.  In southern Minnesota last year I was on the ice the day after Thanksgiving.  This year it might be New Year's Day before I can get out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks chuck!  yes the house turned out great. As cookie said it fits right into our fleet of houses. We try our hardest to run a first class operation, and we have too with other outfitters on the water who also provide excellent service and keep their houses on the best bite. With the forecast being a promising one, we hope to have houses on the water by next weekend. But Mother Nature will have the final say in that. We are excited to start the season but don't feel the need to rush it and be foolish when only a day or two delay will insure our safety for our houses, equipment and of course more importantly the safety of our guests. We anticipate a great season ahead and look forward to seeing all who have reserved a memorable weekend with us!

• Thumbs Up 4

We are all glad to have you Guys doing your best to make our experience a very good one. Also thank you for watching out for the safety of all of us.  Mike