• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

cookie129

Any perch biting? One would think Red would kick out some true JUMBOS like other large lakes but I can count on one hand the number of nice perch (over 10") I've caught out there.

How many times a year to you go up there and what side of the lake? This past year, we caught many over 10" . In the past the perch were very small and I would agree with you, but I think the tide is changing.

Shaky you guys did really well on the perch this year. We had several in the trips we made that were 10". Also quite a few in the 8-9" so if that's any indication should be some nice 11-12" by next year.sure are great eating......

I made three very good walleye trips this winter, fishing out of the Greater Mn Rental access road (south end). Lots of beautiful walleyes and not all that many perch. I think we did end up keeping about 1 per trip. Nice clean fish, very light in color. Cool looking. However, one would think that you could get into a super late-ice perch bite up in the shallows some place like I do on Winnie, Leech, etc.

we ended up with 7 or 8 in the bucket most times out this year, mostly 8-9 inches. A few over 10, biggest one was 11 1/2. Only getting better it looks like:)

Fishing off the side of center bar late January we did well on perch. One weekend 10 and the next we kept 14 all over 9 inches .

The 8-9"ers showed up quite often but I never kept any. IMO they look pretty darn nice until you get home and start cleaning. Although great eating, I find them to be just too small to monkey with.

I beleave when they get around that 10 inch lenth they will migrate to lower red lake if the water gets to warm in the summer. Then they just stay there. If I understand they get real jumbo's down there

Mike, Mike, Kolt and Tony ended up catching 4 crappies and kept one jumbo perch.

full-1934-31167-392772_4864715128776_246

It would of been nice to keep a couple house out for a while as I think we were making ice yesterday morning when it was 28 below..I now have all 4 houses staged for the next move from beacon harbor to home. I'll have to watch the weather and decide when to get them out in front of our place.

kellie and I sure enjoyed the end of the season fishing. She was so mad at the walleyes it was almost funny. Then the guys get 3 out of minnesota the last evning on the lake. I'm not sure when I will go out fishing as the long range forcast does not look all that warm.

I think that was Kelly and the crappie hwy. But I think I have written that before

no one that I know of are plowing at this time.. I had a very bad day yesterday as I atttemped to vplow from beacons to the front of my place. It seemed to be going well and I kept stopping and backing up a letting the red baron cool down. The gauges all looked good so I kept pushing threw. I can not smell but when I saw smoke on the floor I new I was in trouble. I backed up got out and proceeded to try and put the fire out as the underside of the red baron was on fire. Not good. I popped open the hood to find more fire coming up the fire wall. The fire extingusier did not work so I prceeded to throw snow trying to get it out. I also starting grabbing any thing I could save as I thought she was going to burn to the ground. The good news it did not burn to the ground and the bad news as it does not look to good.The first step is to get it home

I just wanted to say thanks again for another great time up there this year Cookie!

Your welcome Ben? I did get the red baron home with my old mentor cusin pete."He sure knows his stuff" It looks like I got the tranny so hot it blew the seals. Then the fluid hit the cross over pipe and caught fire. I would love to put headers on it and also a tempature gauge just for the tranny.

pretty darn quiet around here as of late. Last time I checked my houses no one has driven down beacons road since the last snow fall. I had planned more fishing but untell I get my houses home I have no desire to go out there.

I did get the dodge prospector running but I have to use a jumper wire as the ignition switch is not working? The snow has settled quite a bit but still to much to just drive through. From the looks of it there almost done with the channel in front of the river and will be hauling the sand away soon. It was a expencive end to the season, I burned up the transmission in the red baron plus the fire damage,I blew up my ultra ,I reopened beacons road after the last big snow storm. Would i do again hindsite is 20 20 but I have already started thinking what I can do better next year, learning from mistakes is all part of the business, Mother nature will always be the true boss

wow at 7 degrees were making ice. I still have no plans to go fishing untell the houses are closer to home.. I did make it past the mouth of the river and now have the houses staged to bring them in front of our place. There just so much snow down at the shoreline we have to wait untell mother nature does her thing. Every years I have dreams/ nightmares of the houses getting left on the lake .Last week Im at westwind waiting for customers when I look around the building and there are boats trolling . Last night a wake up and alll the snow and ice are gone and my houses are sitting on a sandbar surronded by 10 foot reeds. To funny how people dream. Maybe tonight I'll dream about fishermen with big smiles landing those elusive upper red lake crappies

Cookie you could probably rent those houses out as houseboats on the water. Kind of like an island paradise.....hmmmm food for thought laugh

• 1 month later...

The family and I made it up yesterday for our annual "opening day" trip (my schedule never works out for opener) It was pretty windy when we arrived in Waskish but we were still able to fish for a few hours in the evening. There were several boats fishing the mouth of the Tamarac and they were all catching fish. Cookie wanted to try out a little further on the break line. And Im glad we did! In the two hours of fishing we caught around 30 walleyes and lost several more. The wind made it challenging. We were able to keep 10 for a meal. We also caught a few pike with the wife hooking a larger specimen that took her jig.

As for the fish, I'd say it was bout 50/50 for spawners. we Caught some bigger females that were big and fat still and we caught some that appeared as if they had already spawned. Of the fish that we kept, which appeared to be all males, there were only a few that still had milk in em. Not sure if this is because we were out into the lake more? Or the fish were ending, or getting close to being done with their spawning ritual.

nonetheless the fishing was very good! fealt great to be back on Upper Red again. She's a grand lake and always love bringing the family up here for vacations. Lots of memories with many more to come. Thanks again Cookie for the great time! Always great hospitality and good fishing.

The fishing was outstanding yesterday afternoon eve. here,a a shot of Gabrial and Jake with a couple. We found a spot all by our self and gabrial landed 10 all on his own.

full-1934-33208-972180_10200221302388287

full-1934-33210-971844_10200221303948326

Sure looked funny out on the lake on Monday and again on Wednesday while driving to Lake of the Woods---almost looked like boats in docks from the sign posts at the end of the river out a short ways. Looked like just a few feet between each boat. Just didn't look like much fun with all that lake just beyond and no one fishing out there. The fish might be safe in the river, but look out walleyes when you exit to the lake.

without a doubt the main lake, first break bite was significantly better than the river bite. Especially for keeper size fish. Everyone I talked with that fished the lake did very well. Excellent fishing. cant wait to get back up there!

We were up this weekend Fri - Sun, fished the main lake, and it was excellent fishing!!! Shook our heads as we trolled by all the people playing bumper boats at the mouth of the Tamarack. If there is a big wind on the main lake it would be one thing but the wind was out of the SE and not bad at all. Went to the first break off by ourselves and had great fishing, only moved a couple of times. Can't wait to get back.

Hows the fishing been on the south side?? Would like to get back up there but the State park is full on the weekends, was thinking of checking out some of the other private campgrounds.

We hit the main lake and we didn't even bother going near the river - we slaughtered them down south. That was probably my best fishing trip in MN that I've ever had, number wise.

Mainly 14" - 20" with some 23's. Jig, fathead and a mr twister body. Green/yellow/orange just killed them, even without a minnow.

It was cool seeing 2,3,4 walleyes follow the one you had on the line up to the surface.

Since I moved to Minnesota from Colorado in 75, I always said may shower bring june flowers . Colorado is april not may. We did get a nice chunk of much needed rain last week and the ditches are just starting to slow down again. I think the swamps and slouighs are wet again.

The walleye fishing has been outstanding, The grandkids were up for the holiday ,we managed to get out and fish twice .Once with Ashly and I and the other with Cory, Coobee, Aughtum, Britney my grand daughter and Jake my grandson. We fished about 2 hours and kept 14.They had a good time. Cory also caught a elusive upper red lake crappie.

Its about that time of year to target crappies. I'll try and get out inbetween work the next 2 weeks and see what happening.

Lyman and Mary have been here since Friday. They are a older couple 83 and 84. Yesterday they took a day off from the outstanding fishing and hiked the big bog boardwalk and also climbed the fire tower 150 steps. Wow I can only hope that I can do that if I even hit 84. Lyman said the fishing is the best fishing he has had in 20 years.

I will being targeting the elusive upper red lake crappies the next two weeks. I have a call into Jim and Sten as they may come up. Greg and Gary roll in later today for two days then it quiets down again with no one in the cabins until the 14th.

Bobby abd Darrel are coming up sunday but are camping down on our lake shore.