• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Recruopits- college hockey

scsavre

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• Bear55

• solbes

Top Posters In This Topic

The future looks bright! grin

The present looks pretty good too, time to kick it up a notch in the 2nd half. Still worried about our D, they are the weak link. Patterson is human and started to show it before the break but I am pretty confident he will be fine.

For the gophs to make abreak for it they are going to need a monster second half out of bjugsted. He really is the key to this team. Patterson is a good goalie,he will make his saves, and he will let in some goals. Our defense is still weak. We will be needing 4 or 5 goals to win games. Again it all comes back to bjugsted, if he is on, that means rau is scoring goals. Hopefully they play well enough where it trickles down to haula. He needs to get a lot better. I am also eager to see who the second half eerging star is gonna be. Ambroz.....condon.... someone is gonna get going.

Oh wait, this was a recruiting thread, the gophs have a good mix of talent coming in. I am not at all excited about next years guys tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Benildes grant besse accepts an offer from the badgers. Not sure who all was in on him. I dont think the gophs showed interest. I thought I heard duluth was in the mix. Kids pretty good.

Have you seen Jordan Schmaltz play? Lots of upside on his offensive side, but he could use a ton of improvement playing defense. UND can have Schmaltz IMO - for that matter so could the Spitfires - some see tons of upside, but his lack of physicalness will catch up with him sooner or later.

But, I could be wrong.

I can't even comment on any of those players. Everything I learn about the recruits is what I read on the internet. Alot of hype with the Schmaltz brothers. Some are saying the younger Nick will be a #1 pick when he becomes draft egilble(sp).

I have been following the Stefan Matteau story. That guy sounds like a beast. He recently got suspended in the USHL(Can't play until March) for his 40 pim in a game. I hope he goes to UND and not to Canadain Jrs.

Here's a story on his latest

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=89648

Brooks, without reading the story, I heard he is heading to canada to play fo his dad, hence the recent trade. Sounds like a good fit for the sioux tho. 40mins in penaltys after the game.

I've heard schmalz is darn good, havnt seen him play tho.

Sounds like seth jones is the d man to get. Big chance he skips college tho.

Yeah, I don't see the Seth Jones panning it. If there was a chance chance it would have happen by now. All his brothers went to the ND.

UND recruit Miles Koules' rights were traded to a WHL team his dad played for. Could it be three now breaking their commitment?

No matter which team you cheer for, this is bad for college hockey. SCSU fans aren't happy these days either.

Its been a tough year for recruiting for ND thats for sure. I think its became a business at a young age for these high prospect. There's money on the table up in Canada. Can't take there decision personally. This is a bad trend in college hockey that afeects every program. I bet there will be some noise on addressing the problem this off season. I think the USA National Team Development Program where most of these high profile recruits are decommitting could be the main problems.

Its been a tough year for recruiting for ND thats for sure. I think its became a business at a young age for these high prospect. There's money on the table up in Canada. Can't take there decision personally. This is a bad trend in college hockey that afeects every program. I bet there will be some noise on addressing the problem this off season. I think the USA National Team Development Program where most of these high profile recruits are decommitting could be the main problems.

IMO, College Hockey Inc, which was supposed to curb this type of thing, has be a failure. Players are using college "commitments" as a bargaining chip.

Well, I agree with you on the bargaining chip theory in the Matteau case and perhaps in the Koules situation but Jt Miller on the other hand I think was probably the NY Rangers. Atleast that was the feeling I got. I think Koules is absolulatly playing the bargaining chip method. I don't care if he's visiting UND in the near future. Its all part of act. I ain't falling for this again.

Shore, have you been ice fishing up at LOW this winter?

Shore, have you been ice fishing up at LOW this winter?

Nope, good 'ole youth hockey stifles the traveling ice fishing weekends . . . until mid-March.

I should have figured. Your winter's will be tied up for awhile. I just heard from some people of how there killing them up over at the west side. Atleast in March the crappies should be in full swing.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a list of the 3 most recent Duluth recruits:

Dom Toninato, Duluth East, 6'0" F, 18GP, 19G, 28A

Jared Thomas, Hermantown, 6'1" F, 18GP, 20G, 33A

Brett Boehm, Beardy's Blackhawks (SMHL), 6'1" F, 45 GP, 17G, 17A

Dom and Jared were great local commits to the program. Dom's Dad played for Duluth in the mid 80's. Boehm looks like a decent recruit from Canada who is also being courted by the WHL. 2013 or 2014 for these guys.

Looks like Jake Randolph committed to UNO. Not surprisingly there was some controversial comments as well (his Dad is the East coach).

Solbes, like what stuff did Coach Randolph say about UMD? That's too bad, I would've thought if UMD was recruiting Jake, he would've committed there but hometowns don't always play for their hometown I guess.

just read a article about Randolph committing to UNO after talking with Blais. It sounded like he did not get a full ride offer from other schools like Blais gave him. Oh and Northern Michigan offered a full ride as well.

It sounds like there more to the story with Jake's dad. Dean Blais is known for going into the other schools territory and getting recruits. Sounded like he really went after this kid.

Mainly some comments about the quality of coaching between Duluth, Minnesota, and Omaha. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. I do agree Dean is a good coach.

I hope Randolph does well in Omaha, maybe just not when he comes to Duluth.

A little off the topic but it kind of bugs me that Scott Sanderlin gets called out on his coaching from time to time. I remember last year(I think) when Dylan Olson left and up in Canada they said he wasn't developing as he should at UMD(I rad it on TSN). I guess Dean has a good reputation but Scott is starting to hold his own and his career in head coaching has only been 10 years or so. I think Penn st blow a opportunity on not selecting him for the head coaching job but thats my amatuer oppinion. Anyways UMD got three nice recruits. I guess I don't know much about the canuck. smile

I doubt blais would even comment on coaching. I wouldn't think a coach would say that fully knowing people would find out. As far as sandy, it may not be true now, but I believe last year if you went back 10 years mankato had more wins and more nhl players. Maybe not the best program to be similar. I'm too lazy to look that up

All things being equal, is there a coach you wouldn't want your kid/nephew playing for?

MN/Lucia = as much as it pains me, yes.

UND/Hakstol = yes

UMD/Sandy = yes

BSU/Serretore = yes

DU/Gwoz = yes

CC/Owens = yes

UNO/Blais = yes, unless he's a goalie - how long will he be there though (3 years?)?

WI/Eaves = probably, not my favorite guy personality and recruiting-wise

Tech/Pearson = probably - good background

SCSU/Motzko = probably, lots of departures, though

MSU/Jutting = maybe, not sure - better not kick start his smoking habits on my kid/nephew

UAA/Shyiak = tough call

All things being equal, is there a coach you wouldn't want your kid/nephew playing for?

UND/Hakstol = yes

UMD/Sandy = yes

BSU/Serretore = yes

DU/Gwoz = yes

CC/Owens = yes

UNO/Blais = yes, unless he's a goalie - how long will he be there though (3 years?)?

MSU/Jutting = maybe, not sure - better not kick start his smoking habits on my kid/nephew

UAA/Shyiak = tough call

are you saying Gophers don't have lots of departures...?

are you saying Gophers don't have lots of departures...?

I meant mid-season stuff like SCSU has had recently. I guess had had their share too. With Hill gone at Minny, it's obviously a much improved situation for them.

UND/Hakstol = yes

UMD/Sandy = yes

BSU/Serretore = yes

DU/Gwoz = yes

CC/Owens = yes

UAA/Shyiak = tough call

Nice list Shore, but I got to ask. I don't know a whole lot about Eaves but what did you mean by "recruiting wise"? I remeber a few years ago when Hakstal and Eaves got into it after the handshakes.

Nice list Shore, but I got to ask. I don't know a whole lot about Eaves but what did you mean by "recruiting wise"? I remeber a few years ago when Hakstal and Eaves got into it after the handshakes.

CBrooks, over the past few years, Eaves has over recruited (something I wish UND had done for this year!). He has had to pull scholarships from committed players because he over-sold.

OK, now I get your saying. I remember now someone(probably you)on here mentioning Wisconsin over recruiting and your right. UND has schlorships that could be filled with all the recent de-commitments. I wonder if UND gets credited with those schlorships. I mean does a college has to fill those each year and if there not filled you snoose you lose type deal?